Local Happenings

provid

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Public Meeting regarding The Armory Revival Company's development in West Fountain/Cargill Street area Tonight (Thursday, Nov. 10) at 6:30PM at the Federal Hill House, 9 Courtland Street.

Sponsored by Council President John Lomabardi

Ugh, I feel like crap today, I really wish I could go to this, but I think I'll be sleeping at 6:30pm (I think I have bird flu or something). If anyone goes please report back on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday, December 1st, 6-9PM, at Rising Sun Mills, 166 Valley Street, 3rd Floor, Building 3L

From Rubble to Revival

Join us for PUENTE's From Rubble to Revival Party! Join us for a silent auction featuring photographs of 'The Plant,' Latin Food and live music, as well as a display of student work from The Steelyard and renderings of The Plant. The event benefits PUENTE's community programming efforts at The Plant in Olneyville. For more information, contact Adriana Valdez Young, Director of Community Relations and Special Projects, [email protected], 454-3570.

buyprovidence.gif

This is a good idea but they really need someone who can do real web design to do these things. Scrolling through a list really isn't that fun. How about a map of the city with all of these locations on it instead and at least some little icons for store type? Hell look what UP has for projects. Surely they can afford to pay someone to do a googlemaps based application, if nothing else.

Hell look what UP has for projects. Surely they can afford to pay someone to do a googlemaps based application, if nothing else.

I was thinking of doing a Google map for Providence restaurants in my copious free time. :lol:

Maybe I can sell something to the city.

How much?

I'll sell you a deed to the city for $10,000. :lol:

This is a good idea but they really need someone who can do real web design to do these things. Scrolling through a list really isn't that fun. How about a map of the city with all of these locations on it instead and at least some little icons for store type?

There's a pretty good map and list at ProvidenceDowntown.com. But that's only downtown.

Schenectady, NY has a nice holiday brochure that lists all of their downtown shops and has an open house every year to kick off the shopping season. Check it out, it could work for Providence, especially since Providence is much bigger and better Holiday Magic Brochure

Pretty nice. Providence does have Celebrate Downcity coming up this Thursday.

celebrate.jpg

There was also a poorly publicized Federal Hill Holiday Stroll last Friday. I live up there and I totally missed it.

Wickenden is doing something too, I think weekly on weekends through Christmas.

I was thinking of doing a Google map for Providence restaurants in my copious free time. :lol:

Maybe I can sell something to the city.

If you put something as interactive as the projects page together, I would definitely try to sell it. It could be like some "Explore Providence" link on all of these associations websites. Although maybe I am projecting my dorkiness on too many other people. I just think stuff like that is very cool and how the web can really be a cool resource.

If you put something as interactive as the projects page together, I would definitely try to sell it. It could be like some "Explore Providence" link on all of these associations websites. Although maybe I am projecting my dorkiness on too many other people. I just think stuff like that is very cool and how the web can really be a cool resource.

That would certainly be very cool and I like the way the projects page is set up. Could you sell software that's built on top of an free "open" API you don't control/own?

It's funny, I see many references to Providence in a lot of the research that has gone into many Downtown Schenectady BID projects (including that brochure, their downtown clean-up team). They seem to have surpassed Providence in being able to market and distribute their literature however.

exhib_alumholiday05.jpg

RISD Alumni Art Sale December 10

10am-5pm, Rhode Island Convention Center

One Sabin Street, Providence

admission: $5; children under 14 + current RISD students free

I hear 200 artists will be selling at this event. It should be well worth the $5 admission.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Downcity District Design Review Board hearing:

When: Monday, January 09, 2006 at 04:30 PM

Location: Planning Department {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 4th Floor Conference Room {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 400 Westminster Street

Agenda: 132-134 Fountain Street - Commercial Buildings (Public Hearing) Sierra Suites. Proposal to demolish two existing commercial buildings and to construct a new 11- story hotel building with a parking facility. The applicant is requesting approval of the proposed demolition and Waivers of DRC Regulations for building setback and frontage related to the new construction.

WBNA Annual General Meeting

When:Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 7pm

Location: Public Safety Complex {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 325 Washington Street

Agenda: We will be voting in the new board, giving our yearly awards, having a powerpoint review of the year and our goals for next year. Rick Greenwood will be the Keynote speaker and will speak on "Industrial Providence: Rise, Fall and Rebirth." There will be dessert too. (if you are feeling neighborly bring something to share).

If there's any interest, we can have a small impromptu forum meeting before or after either of these meetings.

• 2 weeks later...

DWR.gif

Join us Thursday, January 26 to help us celebrate our 1st Anniversary in Providence with a talk by world acclaimed architect Friedrich St. Florian (www.fstflorian.com). He will discuss his work, including the WWII Memorial on the Mall in Washington D.C, the Oslo Opera House, the Library for Guadalajara, the New England Bio Lab, and the Herreshoff Marine Museum. His works and drawings will also be on display from January 16-31. Champagne and refreshments will be served.

RSVP to [email protected] by Tuesday, January 24.

Friedrich St.Florian at DWR

Thursday, January 26, 5:30-8pm

210 Westminster Street

Providence, RI

Directions: http://www.dwr.com/providence.cfm

DWR.gif

Join us Thursday, January 26 to help us celebrate our 1st Anniversary in Providence with a talk by world acclaimed architect Friedrich St. Florian (www.fstflorian.com). He will discuss his work, including the WWII Memorial on the Mall in Washington D.C, the Oslo Opera House, the Library for Guadalajara, the New England Bio Lab, and the Herreshoff Marine Museum. His works and drawings will also be on display from January 16-31. Champagne and refreshments will be served.

My goodness, has it been a year already!? Man does time fly by.

Archived