222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am struck by just how crappy this building has turned out. I could never get a true sense of what it would actually look like from the early renderings or free of it's scaffolding, but clad with tons of cheap-looking EIFS, it's like a patient who just took off the bandages after a bad nosejob.

It's still a good, solid urban infill project, and it's definitely got a lot of things going for it... looks just ain't one of them. Let's hope West turns out better.

The windows on 222 look too small. Are we sure that this is EIFS rather than hardcoat stucco? Probably.

Perhaps the railings on the balconies will give it a little more relief so it doesn't look like such a blank, flat wall.

I wonder when we'll start to see some larger developments go up on the west side of Glenwood to balance things out a little bit.

There certainly isn't enough wow factor to justify marketing these as luxury....granite counters 42" cabinets and stainless appliances ain't enough...The pluses are obviously that its a multi-use building and that you are getting alot of housing in an area that it needs to be in. Like RBC though I won't complain about my not wanting to live there...its fits enough criteria to be welcomed....for my tastes I would want floor to ceiling windows (Quorum, Hudson), a swiming pool that will get actual sunlight, parking deck not over two stories(Hudson, Palladium), Lane St punched through, and maybe an interior shell purchase option (Baldwin Lofts in Durham) so something besides Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware would work on the interior.

I spent some time looking at this in the daylight yesterday and my overall impression is that I like it, but there are some weaknesses with it. The big problem that makes it look "cheap" is that the windows are flush with the exterior walls. We are all so used to seeing windows inset about 6" from the facade. It looks like Hue is going to be the same way. I wonder if there is a way to avoid water problems while insetting these windows a bit.

I spent some time looking at this in the daylight yesterday and my overall impression is that I like it, but there are some weaknesses with it. The big problem that makes it look "cheap" is that the windows are flush with the exterior walls. We are all so used to seeing windows inset about 6" from the facade. It looks like Hue is going to be the same way. I wonder if there is a way to avoid water problems while insetting these windows a bit.

• 2 months later...

The fencing is down, and nearly all the work is on the interior now, minus the sidewalk out front. Even if it's not the most attractive building I've ever seen (far from it), I predict these retail spaces will do very well right between powerhouse square and the Glenwood strip. I also spoke with an owner in the building and she said it would open in August.

2499608570098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

The fencing is down, and nearly all the work is on the interior now, minus the sidewalk out front. Even if it's not the most attractive building I've ever seen (far from it), I predict these retail spaces will do very well right between powerhouse square and the Glenwood strip. I also spoke with an owner in the building and she said it would open in August.

2499608570098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

The 518/Mosaic/Amra's/Cupcake shop/Dive Bar end of Glenwood will feel a lot more connected to the rest of the street once they reopen the sidewalk! I haven't been over there in a while, but might go for a walk/bike ride tonight.

Any rumors for the opening date for the Dunkin Donuts (or the restaurants) yet?

The 518/Mosaic/Amra's/Cupcake shop/Dive Bar end of Glenwood will feel a lot more connected to the rest of the street once they reopen the sidewalk! I haven't been over there in a while, but might go for a walk/bike ride tonight.

Any rumors for the opening date for the Dunkin Donuts (or the restaurants) yet?

I still can't believe that the city didn't force them to construct a temporary sidewalk in place of the on-street parking on Glenwood. I think Raleigh just hasn't yet set the precedent of requiring this from developers, particularly in an area like this that sees pretty heavy foot traffic. We're just lucky that some drunk pedestrian wasn't killed by a drunk (or sober) driver while stumbling across the street due to the closure of the sidewalk.

Here are some more photos I took two weeks ago but haven't had a chance to post. This was before the fence came down, but it shows the building seemingly in its final form with most of the balcony railings (can we say boring?) in place. Also, I haven't gotten a picture of it, but that blank nasty wall of the parking deck by 518, remember that? It has been painted, but not with an interesting mural as we had hoped, but with a few squares of the same colors of the building. It looks ridiculous.

I'm also still wondering why the top floor units, for which I'm sure people paid a premium for because they are at the top, do not have an overhang for the balconies. This also seems to be the case over at the West, but I haven't taken notice at the other buildings in town. Is this standard practice?

April8003.jpg

April8004.jpg

April8005.jpg

Such a boring looking exterior. Those giant beige walls are crying out for something, what I don't know. Weren't those things suppose to more orange in hue?

222glen.jpg

See this is the problem. The developer submits this "pretty" watercolor and we all think it looks great. Then, in reality it doesn't look like that but it's too late as the developer can just claim that this was the intention all along.

Those walls, ugh.

[edit]

So I felt like being creative and took one of the above images and modified it a bit in an imaging program. I decided to break up the walls with an extension of brick wrapping. I only really did the first couple floors before I got tired of cutting out the brick to wrap the balconies. I also added window boxes. I wouldn't necessarily like the ones in the image, but those old time metal ones that are open, without flowers in them perhaps.

post-15616-1209598441_thumb.jpg

post-15616-1209598441_thumb.jpg

In regards to sidewalk shifting, so far Raleigh has allowed the developer to shut down the sidewalk every time except one, the Wilmington side of the Edison parking deck. The shifted sidewalk on the street is covered, has a barrier, and has a ramp to get back to normal sidewalk height. But the sidewalk has been gone on the east side of the project along Blount the whole time. The different stance (within the same project even!) may be due it staring later than RBC Plaza, and would leave disconnected sidewalks on both sides of Wilmington from Davie to Martin.

Every other one -- 510 Glenwood, Paramount, 222, West at North, Hue, Palladium Plaza, RBC Plaza -- the sidewalk was gone early and came back just before the attached building opened.

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with the results... whatever happened to real BRICK or STONE buildings?

The color is pretty hideous, but I'm happy about the retail and street traffic it's going to provide... it's a mixed blessing.

Archived