222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

Another brick building could go there very easily, something that complements the 518 west building, the ones across the street, and down jones street to the east. although i like the idea of a large mural, maybe something that incorporates some bushes and vines to grow around it......just an idea.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How will vehicles get in and out of this deck?

In Cophead's picture, it looks like a solid wall on the Jones Street side.

In Flash's picture, it seems the Glenwood face only has entrances for people -- door holes at each end to match up to the "hallway" in the layout in Raleighmark's post. It also looks like there isn't an entrance/exit on an imaginary "Lane Street" side

of the deck either.

I'm guessing it is pre-cast concrete, and the holes will be poked out somewhere.

Does the 222 land include the existing parking strip between 518 and the tracks?

Will West Lane Street be rebuilt to tie the deck to Glenwood itself? That would suck for Glenwood South pedestrians, though they have "lost" that sidewalk for a while and won't get it back for at least another year.

I hope the "hole" east of 518 is filled in with either a building or a office/residential structure above the garage entrance/exit.

How will vehicles get in and out of this deck?

Does the 222 land include the existing parking strip between 518 and the tracks?

Will West Lane Street be rebuilt to tie the deck to Glenwood itself? That would suck for Glenwood South pedestrians, though they have "lost" that sidewalk for a while and won't get it back for at least another year.

I hope the "hole" east of 518 is filled in with either a building or a office/residential structure above the garage entrance/exit.

Going to check out 222 is a good excuse to start using my membership there again... I can count on one hand the number of times i've been in the last year :dontknow:

It is good to see the print shop allowing its spaces to be used day and night. Though a deck opened to the public in that area (can the Powerhouse Square deck add a level or two?) could allow for development of that corner lot.

When I joined CapFit before it opened, they said they had some land between the building, the tracks, and Lane Street. They said they might eventually put a basketball court out there or extend the building further if they were successful.

So I guess they either sold the land or Lane Street will be closer to 222 than CapFit and Clark Art. I wonder if they will try to get a traffic signal at Lane/Glenwood, or hope for openings from the Glenwood/North signal.

The 518/tracks lot will (hopefully) be developed soon, though the size of the lot and proximity to the train tracks may not make it worthwhile.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this building is really coming along....they have to be close to topping out.

Two questions (and sorry if they were discussed earlier in this monstrous thread):

1) will deck feature parking for the public...it seems sort of large given the number of condos the building looks like it would hold...urbanites don't need more than one parking space per unit, right? :whistling:

2) ground floor retail, or office? seems to have really low ceilings for any sort of restaurant when I went by there this morning...

Looks like they're doing work on this in the evenings now. Lights were set up last night and they were moving the crane around and cranking away. The photo a few posts up is already way out of date. They have a live webcam on their site, BTW, if you google 222 glenwood.

this building is really coming along....they have to be close to topping out.

Two questions (and sorry if they were discussed earlier in this monstrous thread):

1) will deck feature parking for the public...it seems sort of large given the number of condos the building looks like it would hold...urbanites don't need more than one parking space per unit, right? :whistling:

2) ground floor retail, or office? seems to have really low ceilings for any sort of restaurant when I went by there this morning...

Definitely topped out... due to the large footprint of the bldg, they used a movable crane to construct the steel framing on the south end (@ 518 West) up to it's seventh story, then moved slowly up the street to the north for the rest... they were out there tonight doing work (~9pm), and the old crane is gone, I think due to the small remaining space to place it they need a more specialzed crane since the structure is fast encroaching on the adjacent buildings. (shows how construction in an urban space can be tricky)

--> this project will have street retail all along the frontage... rumor was a Morton's Steakhouse might go in, but not sure about that

--> parking I think is only for residents and retail customers... I recall 518 complaining they'd loose their spaces for good... not sure though... the answer might be in this thread somewhere

I think this will be a great building for GlenSo... location is superb for condos/retail (will really fill in the retail gaps), good design, human scale, walkable

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

at the gym this week, I noticed that the little "gatehouse" that will control access to the parking lot is just about completed...are they going to open the parking deck early while the rest of the project is being finished up to generate some revenue? they haven't even paved the service court leading into the deck (between Peak Fitness and this project), so there is this finished gatehouse sitting in the middle of red clay and construction debris. Sort of strange...

• 2 weeks later...
Plans are in the works for a pair of Italian restaurants in the 222 Glenwood condo project under construction in Glenwood South in Raleigh. The restaurants will share a kitchen, one offering fine dining, the other family-style meals. Gianni & Gaitano's is aiming to open in September 2008.

Archived