222 Glenwood

ericurbanite

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^My realtor friend, who is moving into 222, said the same thing......I say bring Finchs over to 222 and then take the Finchs site and build a 60 story gateway skyscraper, close to future TTA, with some nice Peace St frontage, perfect for the skyline...oops, off topic...

Not sure how I feel on the DD at 222, I wouldn't say I'm nearly as opposed to it as ChiefJoJo. Being a chain store is a minus, but actually I'm quite happy to see something new on Glenwood that doesn't serve alcohol and will be open all hours of the day (even early morning) as an amenity for nearby residents. DD has a business model that works well with no parking other than a few nearby on-street spaces, and can survive well on foot traffic alone.. so this seems like a dynamite location for them. I'm inclined to say, why not?

But my personal opinion about this exact instance aside, this bring up a question that begs asking. If Glenwood South is not the place in downtown Raleigh for chain retail, then where is the place? Is there a place for it at all? Something to ponder... in this thread that I just created.

The Krispy Kreme on Peace seems to do well, especially on weekend nights. Will this be a "pure" DD or a DD/Baskin Robins combination, like the one on Capitol just north of 440? Does DD sense weakness in Krispy Kreme and want to expand in Raleigh before the folks in Winson-Salme figure things out?

Dunkin Donuts' arrival to Glenwood shows there is interest the area from larger chains. But can the area support this, the cupcake shoppe, *and* Turkish Delights? I don't know. It seems to be a bit far away from F Street for "office donut runs" but who knows.

Will Gianni & Gaitano's count as two restaurants or one? If there is a third slot in addition to G&G and DD, will that the rumored mediteraninan (neomonade's)? Is there any ballpark window for when these places will open?

I'd like to see Finch's in either the Clark Art space or the drafting store across from 518, though that may be too close to snoopy's, Char-grill, and the roast grill.

Is it wrong that this was also the same thought that first popped into my head. My drunk self is going to end up buying enough donuts to cover their rent at that location, haha.

As for my opinions on chain retail downtown, I'll post them in orulz new topic. :shades:

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that there is a second entrance to the parking deck. The small lot next to 518 West is now a driveway straight in. They must have blown out an entrance through the walls. I think this will add some convenience, especially during any busy weekend nights. Taking a left onto glenwood will be tough during slow moving traffic, so an alternative way out of there helps.

I noticed that there is a second entrance to the parking deck. The small lot next to 518 West is now a driveway straight in. They must have blown out an entrance through the walls. I think this will add some convenience, especially during any busy weekend nights. Taking a left onto glenwood will be tough during slow moving traffic, so an alternative way out of there helps.

The precast panels are easy to fabricate with knockouts in them. I think I remember early in 222 planning that 518 would get some spaces in the deck and that as of right now the City was relaxing what was required of them. I am not sure if Glenwood is in the downtown overlay district and hence exempt from normal parking requirments.

• 2 months later...

Update from today:

2103116090098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

2996975560098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

The thing I've noticed with this project--that you could not tell from early renderings--is the extensive use of EIFS (looks like it--2nd photo) on most of the exterior, save the Glenwood street-level facade. With its sketchy track record, I wish developers would find another suitable, longer lasting material for these projects.

I am struck by just how crappy this building has turned out. I could never get a true sense of what it would actually look like from the early renderings or free of it's scaffolding, but clad with tons of cheap-looking EIFS, it's like a patient who just took off the bandages after a bad nosejob.

It's still a good, solid urban infill project, and it's definitely got a lot of things going for it... looks just ain't one of them. Let's hope West turns out better.

The windows on 222 look too small. Are we sure that this is EIFS rather than hardcoat stucco? Probably.

Perhaps the railings on the balconies will give it a little more relief so it doesn't look like such a blank, flat wall.

I wonder when we'll start to see some larger developments go up on the west side of Glenwood to balance things out a little bit.

Archived