Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

I toured the inside of this project during the Uptown Living showcase. They are definitely working on the inside. I liked the interior finishes and floorplans, but they are definitely not luxury. I do wish they'd put a lot more windows facing the freeway. The windows they used block the sound very well, plus. I suspect a lot more noise will come from the front of the building with the gas station, two railroad crossings, and the ADM mill.

The design of the back is inexcusable. I am so tired of projects that look great on one side getting built and having an afterthought design on the back. Courtside, Trademark, Garrison, etc. I think the city should require renderings for ALL sides when selling a building. The damage this project does to the aesthetics of a major gateway into the city is astounding. I am actually on the fence on whether I am glad it even was built. I previously was happy because it would add residents on the edge of uptown, but it is just an ugly blank wall or EIFS on the side that hundreds of thousand of drivers will pass on the freeway.

I'm hesitant to throw the developer under the bus on this one....if everyone remembers, there was a several month delay in construction once it began when we all thought the project had died. The delay was caused by the developer having to find a new lender, and it was rumored that there was value engineering going on to bring project costs down to comply with the requirements of the new lender. It is horrible looking on the side facing the 277, but I'm not sure that was the developer's original intent.

How about the design on the front? The only thing on Graham St is a sad little door, which I assume is an emergency exit, and that glass-brick stuff. This supposedly "urban" project is completely oriented towards an auto-centric lifestyle, and IMO contributes nothing to uptown except for eye candy from further south on Graham St.

• 4 months later...

Well according to the floorplans, there is only 1 apartment per floor that has a single window that faces 277, so that view is not a very good way to tell how many people live there.

Well according to the floorplans, there is only 1 apartment per floor that has a single window that faces 277, so that view is not a very good way to tell how many people live there.

You can see three sides of the building as you are driving on 277, the one facing 277 and both sides (of course, you have to crane your neck backwards to see one of those sides as you are driving away from the building). The only one you can't see is the one facing toward the gas station. I have seen that side driving north on Graham Street leaving Uptown. I still have not seen any lights on at night from any sides.

You can see three sides of the building as you are driving on 277, the one facing 277 and both sides (of course, you have to crane your neck backwards to see one of those sides as you are driving away from the building). The only one you can't see is the one facing toward the gas station. I have seen that side driving north on Graham Street leaving Uptown. I still have not seen any lights on at night from any sides.

Well really NO condos face 277, one per floor faces graham and the rest face downtown/the gas station. Sorry this does not answer your question. I too would like to know, however I think we would have heard if NO condos had sold.

That's good news that at least some appear to have sold. I agree that the spaces must be great - what's not to like about huge open floor plans and floor to ceiling windows. I'd sorta label it an "A-" building (would be A if all sides were brick) in a "B" (but improving) location. Long term I think this will be a nice addition to Uptown.

i saw 2 units with lights on the last time i went to that gas station, maybe 3 weeks ago. its going to be awhile before that location is seen as desirable, but i bet the spaces are great.

I come home via the Graham Street exit on th Brookshire and often wait at the light at Graham facing the Garrison and can report I've consistently seen lights on in 2-3 units for the past several weeks around the 6-7 p.m. time.

The units I see lit usually are the 2nd and third floors which in my guess must have horrible views of the roof of the gas station (at least the 2nd floor unitt).

I don't know if there are people actually moving in/moved in or if there is final touches being made. If it is people moving in/moved in though (and this is just speculation on my part) I would guess the lower apartments must be a size-able price discount considering the gas station roof issue.

Lastly, I do think that there are two apartments per floor though based on how it seems lit at times. I may be wrong but this is just my perspective from what I see when some are lit.

Some people have moved in. I stopped by last weekend to see if the building had an open house. I noticed several cars in the lot and saw one of the residents. On an interesting note, each parking space is equipped with a car lift so you can park two cars in one space. Nifty idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I come home via the Graham Street exit on th Brookshire and often wait at the light at Graham facing the Garrison and can report I've consistently seen lights on in 2-3 units for the past several weeks around the 6-7 p.m. time.

The units I see lit usually are the 2nd and third floors which in my guess must have horrible views of the roof of the gas station (at least the 2nd floor unitt).

I don't know if there are people actually moving in/moved in or if there is final touches being made. If it is people moving in/moved in though (and this is just speculation on my part) I would guess the lower apartments must be a size-able price discount considering the gas station roof issue.

Lastly, I do think that there are two apartments per floor though based on how it seems lit at times. I may be wrong but this is just my perspective from what I see when some are lit.

Well as if any proof is needed that UP has influence, I've noticed since about a week after my post where I said I never saw lights on in this building, that virtually all the units are now fully lit at night!! Although the units facing in the general direction of I-277 are clearly still vacant, at least the building a little more lively now.

• 1 year later...

There is now a huge banner draped along the side of the building facing east (viewable while one is driving west along Brookshire Fwy/i-277). The banner is advertising cheap condos in another one of the Garrison developer's projects near NoDa I believe.

Still appears to me that hardly any units were sold in this project.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe for phase two, the back half and back facade, while we're dreaming. God, I hate riding past this building on the way home. It's like someone is mooning me while I'm trying to see the skyline. I even prefer the ADM mills to this, because at least it's feeding people.

Archived