Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad they imply that it is imminent, but unfortunately, it still says that it is 'pending an agreement', which we all know could mean that any number of things would scuttle it. However, I bet if a local financing scheme starts to falter, that they'd not hold as firm on keeping the unit sizes the same (the issue that caused them to break the deal with their original financier).

CBJ has an article today. Confirmed the story of their creditor causing issues and eventually a work stoppage. They are hoping to restart construction and sales soon.
This same Business Journal article has a caption under a picture of The Park that claims it will open this summer ...

Seems hard to believe based on the pace of construction.

• 5 weeks later...

Found an article on creative loafing's website talking about the Garrison:

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/gyrob...tent?oid=278391

Nothing particularly interesting in the article itself since all they do is cite the Biz Journal. Interestingly though Hal Kempson, an equity director at CBRE melody, posted that financing has been secured and construction will recommence in a couple of weeks. (He posted this morning).

Found an article on creative loafing's website talking about the Garrison:

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/gyrob...tent?oid=278391

Nothing particularly interesting in the article itself since all they do is cite the Biz Journal. Interestingly though Hal Kempson, an equity director at CBRE melody, posted that financing has been secured and construction will recommence in a couple of weeks. (He posted this morning).

Article might not have had much meat to it, but the title was clever, "Stonehenge or condo bust?" :lol:

Just thought I would post this little article i ran into yesterday on creative loafing: http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/gyrob...tent?oid=278391

Well..... it might help if you would read this topic a little since that article has already been posted or mentioned at least a 1/2 dozen times in this topic. This is one of the reasons that we really don't want posts here (as stated in our rules) that are really nothing more than a link to a newspaper article. This is especially true with the Charlotte media since most of it is very lacking at best. "Journalists" in this city are all to happy to report anything given out by someone in authority as fact and without question.

• 2 weeks later...

The Garrison at Graham has its webcam up and running....since it's mounted to the tower crane, it might be hard to see much progress on the actual project, but it does provide a nice skyline view....also, it will double as a low-resolution Vue cam....you can see the boom for the caisson drilling rig up.

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/?webPath=coxschepp/garrison

The Garrison at Graham has its webcam up and running....since it's mounted to the tower crane, it might be hard to see much progress on the actual project, but it does provide a nice skyline view....also, it will double as a low-resolution Vue cam....you can see the boom for the caisson drilling rig up.

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/?webPath=coxschepp/garrison

Wow. Another good find. That is a bit of an awkward shot, I guess they are just planning for when it's vertical. I'm amazed by all of these cams, you can now almost get a 360 degree view just by all of the cameras.

This webcam shows you the potential that this area has. Other than 626 North Graham, the whole area can be redeveloped. If you could duplicate 626 on all four corners plus the Garrison at Graham you could have a nice neighborhood node. This is a gateway to Uptown that rarely gets a look at when all you hear about is Tryon, glad to see the project is back on track.

This webcam shows you the potential that this area has. Other than 626 North Graham, the whole area can be redeveloped. If you could duplicate 626 on all four corners plus the Garrison at Graham you could have a nice neighborhood node. This is a gateway to Uptown that rarely gets a look at when all you hear about is Tryon, glad to see the project is back on track.

The grassy/landscaped lot at the NE corner of 10th & Graham (readily visible in the webcam) is owned by DOT and is considered part of the Brookshire right-of-way. DOT should get rid of the high speed connection from 10th to Graham, and then give control of the property to the city, similar to what they're doing along Stonewall. Looking at Polaris, there are a bunch of places along the Brookshire where DOT could offload its excess land for development, but this is probably the biggest.

• 2 weeks later...

DOT should get rid of the high speed connection from 10th to Graham, and then give control of the property to the city, similar to what they're doing along Stonewall.

Absolutely. 10th and Graham is one of the city's worst intersections for accidents (when I was in Charlotte last week, as soon as the local radio stations became unscrambled the first thing I heard was a traffic report on an accident there). Most of these accidents are due to the confluence of traffic from 277, a high-speed part of Graham, and relatively slow-moving traffic coming out of 4th Ward and cutting across from the center of Uptown. The result is that every stream of traffic is moving at its own speed and with cross-purposes, so there are collisions there on almost a daily basis.

This doesn't even address the pedestrian aspect of that area. The Circle K is a destination for many residents, so there is a fairly steady stream of people crossing Graham there. For both development and public-safety purposes, there needs to be at least one more stoplight in that area and Graham needs to be redone to make traffic slow down a bit.

According to FOFW, they plan to have a new light on Graham at 8th street, even though they won't open the dead end to the east of that for cars. It will be for pedestrians to have an easier time crossing, to support higher density like the Citadin and to slow Graham traffic down.

Absolutely. 10th and Graham is one of the city's worst intersections for accidents

Really? That surprises me -- I worked at an office at that intersection for 4 years and never saw a single accident. Contrast with living for a couple years at the intersection of Woodlawn and Selwyn and seeing probably an accident a week...

According to FOFW, they plan to have a new light on Graham at 8th street, even though they won't open the dead end to the east of that for cars.

That's great news. The livability will bump up noticeably with a light at that location, since many people already use that spot to cross over from the west to the east side of Graham toward uptown, and vice versa on the return trip. Great decision to put a light there.

Really? That surprises me -- I worked at an office at that intersection for 4 years and never saw a single accident. Contrast with living for a couple years at the intersection of Woodlawn and Selwyn and seeing probably an accident a week...

Looking at the stats, I overstated the case -- I was thinking of the other end of 10th, which is pretty much the worst area in the city for accidents. Graham/10th is still a bad intersection, at 111th in the city, and is surrounded by worse spots nearby: Church/12th (24), Church/9th (89). All of these places, on both the east and west ends of the street, have the same problem... they're the spot where fast-moving 277 traffic mixes with slow-moving street-grid traffic. Once pedestrians are thrown into the mix, the situation becomes fairly dangerous and traffic-calming methods are the responsible thing to do.

A big reason for wrecks is not so much the slow moving vs. fast moving but the fact that there are multiple blind turns/corners where the buildings come pretty close to the street and the stop line for cars at a light is not in other's sight. While residents do make up some of the foot traffic, most of the pedestrians come from the fact that there are three shelters within 2 blocks of this area.

Yes. The men's shelter, women's shelter, and Urban Ministries (they provide food and make arrangements for night time housing so there are hundreds of people there every day as well).

As well as the shelter provided by the 277 bridge, the woods and underbrush at Graham and 277 and all along Seaboard Street between Graham and North Carolina Music Factory. There are, or at least were, a handful of 'camps' all in these areas. Recently there has been a lot less homeless and panhandler activity, for a while it was REALLY bad.

Archived