Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

I think The Garrison is shaping up nicely. The nearby gas station has always given me the willies mostly because it's just so unkempt and rundown. So of course that is going to attract loiterers and worse. Not to go too far off topic but the station at East&South across from Fuel is in a good part of town. I get nervous stopping there night or day because they have wanderers too. And I have been approached at both stations. I have given money to homeless people. But at these locales I got a much more agressive vibe both times and jumped in my car. I guess some gas station managers are better at or are more motivated to keep things moving than others.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the 2 locations that voyager mentioned are my least 2 favorite intown stations for a matter of perception, and I do get approached often at both. It might also have a lot to do with the design of the stations, since both are poorly lit, older and a bit run down, and have poor ingress/egress which can make a patron feel "trapped".

I mentioned if before, but I really wish the state would straighten out the offramp from I-277 to dead end on Graham instead of encouraging high-speed exits all the way to Graham. If they did, they could sell the excess land at Graham and 10th and further develop that intersection.

It will be interesting to see if the Garrison sets off a boom in that part of the center city. From comments I've read here, it sounds like the perception of crime could be a problem.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing the Garrison's completion. It was a sleeper until all of the sudden (!) there was a cool building sitting there at the loop!

Maybe it does not matter in the larger scheme of things, but future Garrison residents that face the highway look to me to be all set to gaze on an elevated billboard. At least it looks disruptive riding by. Think this will be a major negative?

Fortunately only Hallways, Mechanical and Emergency Exits will have that view. There is not a unit that only has a 277 view, all living rooms and loft bedrooms face downtown.

plans12.gif

• 1 month later...

It appears that very little of the freeway side will be brick. This building will definitely not be that attractive from that side. Maybe others will differ, but I absolutely do not like it, and is a severe disappointment compared to how great the main side looks.

It appears that very little of the freeway side will be brick. This building will definitely not be that attractive from that side. Maybe others will differ, but I absolutely do not like it, and is a severe disappointment compared to how great the main side looks.

I haven't been able to see that side in a few weeks. Can you describe what materials are being used or how that side differs than the side that faces Graham?

We'll have to see in a few weeks, but my interpretation of them stopping with the brick where they did and the fact that they've started on the stucco is that they'll be doing the back with stucco. Of course we're all glad it will be real stucco, but if I am right and it ends up being almost entirely stucco on the Brookshire side with such tiny windows, it will look a lot like Jail Central from that side.

in other cities, a large blank wall abutting an interstate would be a great space for large scale advertisements.

Well there is that one big billboard behind it. I'm not positive on this so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the billboard companies lease the land that they sit on, so theoretically at the end of the contract Garrison could request rezoning and try and get it removed, although I recognize that there is still a massive highway that they are trying to shield the high paying owners of Garrison from.

I admire the use of a real stucco in between their brickwork (which I love the brick on this, btw), but if the highway side ends up being majority stucco, then this could be another 1-sided building Royal Court deal over again that seems to be popping up all over Charlotte. It's a victim of the unfortunate events that have taken place of the past year along with the timing of these buildings being built. I know companies are trying to save money, but for the love of god....... Maybe it's time to begin to implement some tougher building codes in certain districts.

If anyone is so inclined to take some, it would be nice to see pics of the infamous Garrison blank wall. lol

Unfortunately its a challenge unless there is a HUGE traffic jam on 277 going north. I tried last time I was in town.

When you're in the unit, you won't be aware of what the exterior cladding is made of. And actually, I think I would really enjoy a 2 story window facing 277. As long as there is good sound protection, I think a view of cars buzzing by would be quite interesting - maybe just for me though.

I said this earlier, but there are no units directly facing 277. Only stairways, unit hallways/entrances, and mech. rooms face directly toward 277.

• 2 weeks later...

In person, the proximity of the gas station looks too close for comfort. It's too bad there is not more of a buffer between the two. The Garrison is out in left field relative to most of Uptown's current growth areas. And there seems to be many more pluses with other buildings closer to where the center of the action is today.

Haven't taken note of the freeway side recently but from this perspective, it is a dead-on 1930's dry storage warehouse vernacular. At least it's not self important.

See the Warehouse at Hill street and Cedar and the Neighboring Concepts adaption to office of the old Carolina Moving and Storage (?) building on West Morehead for what appear to be first cousins of The Garrison.

Archived