Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

There are no shelters within 2 blocks of Garrison, as far as I know. Urban Ministries and the Men's Shelter are both farther up on College and Tryon respectively, on the other side of 277. The Winter Shelter is on Statesville well outside Uptown. I'm not sure about the Women's Shelter but I'm pretty sure it's not located in that area.

As Charlotte_native pointed out above, there is vagrant activity there simply because it was an easy area for the homeless to camp out without being hassled by police. The panhandler activity has gone down dramatically since development reached the overpass. Two of the main vagrant gathering places -- the "park" at the corner of 9th/Graham and the lot next to Circle K -- have been redeveloped in the past year. That dispersed a lot of homeless farther up Graham beyond the overpass.

Once Garrison and eventually Citadin opens, vagrants will be only a fraction of the pedestrian activity in that area.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be more exact on the distance of the homeless shelters/centers:

Women's shelter- 2 blocks away

Urban Ministries- 4 blocks away

Urban Ministires free meals site, 3 blocks away

Men's Shelter- 1/2-3/4 mile away (maybe less if you walk directly, and not use the streets)

This is why there is such a huge concentration of homeless in the area.

I suppose your point is still generally the same, but to be more precise, the Urban Ministries is at 945 N College, which is 6 blocks away, and more than a 1/2 mile walk. The place that they hand out food is 4 1/2 blocks away on Phifer, about .4 mi walk away. The Womens Shelter is very close, as you say.

While all those shelters are within walking distance of this area, so are a lot of other places uptown. The main reason they head toward this area, I believe, are that there are 2 convenience stores that don't mind selling many of them alcohol, and that the cemetary provides a place for many to go during the day without being pushed away.

It really is a burden for this area to have so many homeless services concentrated, as it means that homeless people from all over come to this area.

The larger point here is that the remaining vagrants in that area will be mostly pushed out by the emergence of new development (626, Garrison, Citadin, plus inevitable changes in commercial sites). Since the shelters are all a fair distance away on the other side of 277 there is no good reason to believe that homeless will continue to congregate in this area once it is no longer accomodating to them. At most you might have a trickle of them heading up Graham from the direction of the Greyhound station, but that is the going to be the case with any transit hub.

My concern would not be with the shelters, but with further eliminating the campsites along the railway... and especially the empty lots which are hidden from plain view behind the commercial buildings along Graham. And as much as I like having a corner store near so many residences, the 4th Ward Market is not a good fit with the neighborhood anymore.

I don't want to lead this thread too far afield but the answer is not to push homeless services further out. It's already tough for those with no money to reach these places. Isolating them from the core is not the answer. As this area continues to redevelop and make room for The Garrison these organizations will be integrated into the mix. At least that is what City Council and staff have said.

^ The point, though, is that these organizations are not close enough to Garrison to be affected by it. They're no closer to Garrison than they are to Hearst Tower or the Belmont neighborhood. The "services" that draw vagrants to N. Graham are the many places where they can crash or panhandle without being bothered by police or residents. But that will inevitably change once the area switches over from being semi-industrial/low-density residential to medium-density upscale residential. The key factor is not location but tolerance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that will make a world of difference. I remember when Park Plaza was built at Fourth Ward Park and the "windows on the park" effect took back another block that had previously been a "don't park there" zone. I think this building will accomodate " the ooze outside the loop" that is going on with developers.

On another note, why are all the commercial parts of the silos "For Sale" at the same time?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Now if only NCDOT would put that parcel in the foreground into play, we could have something going on in this part of town.

post-1289-1214080368_thumb.jpg

Atlvr- this could have gone in any of the forums you have posted in, but what HAVEN'T you shot in uptown this week!? Seriously though thanks for the update and welcome back to Charlotte!

They are coming along nicely on this project. They do need to do something with that webcam now though....

Johnpro- this is in 4th Ward right along 277. NC Music Factory is right near here and on the other side of 277 there is some new development. City View Terrace and North End Square are two that come to mind.

Atlvr- this could have gone in any of the forums you have posted in, but what HAVEN'T you shot in uptown this week!? Seriously though thanks for the update and welcome back to Charlotte!

Thanks....I've been trying to focus on what doesn't have adequate webcam coverage, or doesn't get a lot of coverage on UP. There still several more things I need to go shoot that are making good progress.

• 3 weeks later...

I had not visited the webcam in a while so this might be old news but they have repositioned it on top of 626 North Graham. Now you can actually see progress as opposed to the last view which was staring point blank at concrete. Looks like they are on floor 5. If you look over the past week they haven't done a whole lot of work, of course I am not sure what kind of pace they are on.

I had not visited the webcam in a while so this might be old news but they have repositioned it on top of 626 North Graham. Now you can actually see progress as opposed to the last view which was staring point blank at concrete. Looks like they are on floor 5. If you look over the past week they haven't done a whole lot of work, of course I am not sure what kind of pace they are on.

Yeah this was announced in the webcam thread. Keep in mind what you see as "one floor" is actually two, since they are two story lofts where in the front you are looking at 20 foot gaps in floors so they are actually getting soon to top out at its 11 stories or whatever it is.

• 1 month later...

Archived