Thoughts on Columbus, GA

ATLman1

City population in Augusta is on a slow decline, but appears to be stabilizing. It wouldn't surprise me if Columbus' city limits passed Augusta. But UA really is the best judge of a size of a city (and MSA the best judge of the region), and expect Augusta to be number 2 for at least a few more decades.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This discussion about population simply reenforces the point about Lee County ALA NOT presently being included in Columbus SMA. If Lee County WERE included, then the population of Columbus SMA would be > 400k. Again, maybe not enough in and of itself to leapfrog over Augusta, but puts Columbus not that far behind and makes it the undisputed 3d place GA. SMA. (Tho Macon can certainly complain about removal of Houston County, and Savannah can complain about noninclusion of some coastal counties).

Couple Lee County with BRAC announcement of > 20,000 new residents for Columbus (military and civilian) in year or two AND continued growth in outlying areas (Harris County ~ 30K and growing rapidly) and Columbus and Augusta are practically on a par with one another. The thing that I can see happening (okay, maybe that "I hope happens" :-) ) is that Columbus has more potential right now than Augusta. It's political climate is better (less obvious corruption). It will benefit when new 4-lanes open (FallLine FWY, West GA FWY) and if and when I-14 is okayed. Construction is booming, with CSU assisting in development of DT (30M new art/drama campus along river, and new 20M 5-story twin-tower dorms/parking garage. New 75 M Infantry Museum almost ready to begin contruction. OxBow Meadows has only "tree-top" trail in South and has plans for new marina to provide access to and from the Gulf for private boats. New Botantical Garden will be one of largest in South, with connection to Columbus Tech and its degree in landscape design program. Federal funding for whitewater on line for next year. That encompasses 2.3 miles of white water which is supposed to be the absoltute best urban whitewater east of the Mississippi (not sure what whitewater Minneapolis has or whether it is considered east/west of Mississippi). Also, Columbus has Synovous, TSYS and AFLAC which will (hopefully) continue to thrive. Admitedly, Augusta has MCofGA and Ft. Gordon. But Columbus appears to have edge in tech and Ft. Benning certainly has more potential. Also, while Augusta has Masters and some very nice buildings, the potential for tourism in Columbus when US 27 becomes viable 4-lane alternattive to I75 from Chattanooga to FLA is huge.

In short :-) , Augusta has had a boom while Columbus has lagged, but I think that Columbus might now be on the verge of shaking off its lethergy and starting a boom which will allow it to catch up to Augusta and quite possibly pass it in the not too distant future.

Honestly, I don't think either city is poised for anything huge right now... I can't stress this enough, but I really don't intend to be an Augusta booster... I'm definately a realist.

Both cities have had small victories in recent years and for the future. One of the biggest for Augusta is renewed government interest in SRS. A 1.6 billion dollar waste-processing plant is planned, and SRS is on the short list for new commercial nuclear reactors. Couple that with the "hydrogen corridor" that's attempting to form between Columbia and SRS, and SRS' designation as a national hydrogen research facility, and you can see that AGS also potentially has some momentum building.

I agree 100% about the politics, and I wouldn't be surprised if every Richmond county councilperson ends up in jail at some point in the next few years. And I'm hugely disappointed that the funding for the 20 story judicial center was voted down by the voters, but at least they're not giving up, and plan to present it again in November.

Agree that nothing huge on tap for Columbus, and will defer to you as expert on Augusta. Good point about SRS -- forgot about that. That is a definitely a potential asset for the Augusta-area. There is still rumor floating around Columbus that Advanced Micro Devices plans, at some point, to put > $1 B chip plant there. AMD selected Columbus as first choice a year or so ago, but decided to enter into corsortium with some other chip-maker in Singapore. Result was new US plant (in Columbus) put on hold. A development like that (with several thousand jobs each paying > $50k) would be "huge" news. But, it just may be smoke and mirrors (like Airbus announcement of selection of Mobile).

At any rate, think that the "rivalry" between GA's second-tier cities is probably healthy. Once they are all connected (without having to go thru Atlanta) economic advance of one will help all the others -- not unlike the comon web that exists between and among NC cities (tho Charlotte is probably less dominant there than Atlanta is here). So, hope that we can use this thread to keep others apprised of developments in our own respective city of interest.

Sorry about the new judicial center in Augusta. The proposed tax in Columbus to pay for services also lost, putting budget in squeeze. One of Columbus' main drawbacks is the property tax freeze which discriminates in favor of older generation of home owners and against younger upwardly mobile residents. My mother for example pays less than $100 per year in taxes on her house! This is a big break for those, like my mother, who have owned their home for years. But if she sold it, the new owner would get zapped with a new assessment and a tax bill to match. Hopefully other GA cities have not been so stupid as to pass such a dumb idea -- which is (of course) politically popular but is a mere expediency with long-range inimical effect on development.

City population in Augusta is on a slow decline, but appears to be stabilizing.  It wouldn't surprise me if Columbus' city limits passed Augusta.  But UA really is the best judge of a size of a city (and MSA the best judge of the region), and expect Augusta to be number 2 for at least a few more decades.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the growth seems to be in Columbia and Aiken Counties.

At any rate, think that the "rivalry" between GA's second-tier cities is probably healthy.  Once they are all connected (without having to go thru Atlanta) economic advance of one will help all the others -- not unlike the comon web that exists between and among NC cities (tho Charlotte is probably less dominant there than Atlanta is here).  So, hope that we can use this thread to keep others apprised of developments in our own respective city of interest.       

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. That new interstate would do wonders for the rest of GA.

• 2 months later...

Not excatly.  Auburb/Opelika are their own distinct areas and don't rely on Columbus, as much as Aiken relies on Augusta for entertainment and employment opportunities.  They are also farther away.

BTW, what's going on in Augusta, that's causing it to dramatically outgrow Georgia's other second tier cities?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Augusta's been Ga's second city for many years, due to Ft Gordon, the Savannah River Site and other industries. Augusta had state legislators in it's favor during its growth heydays in the 50's and 60's. I think that Ga's second tier cities all compare favorably, Augusta's had a larger population to begin with and it like all the other cities continue to grow.

I did think it was a stretch for ATLman1 to say that Columbus is Ga's second largest city without having quantifiable info. Using comparisons such as trade area population versus MSA population is unscientific. ;) (though I'm guessing that Augusta's CSRA population is larger than Columbus' trade area population still).

I've only visited Columbus one time and was not impressed with the skyline, though it has many beautiful old homes and neighborhoods (like Athens, Savannah, Augusta) It certainly doesn't look as big as Augusta. I do think that the second tier cities would benefit from having more progressive city leadership and better connectivity between each other (ie freeway connections). I also think that the second tier cities should examine the positive things that made Atlanta into what it is and avoid the negative things.

Augusta's been Ga's second city for many years, due to Ft Gordon, the Savannah River Site and other industries. Augusta had state legislators in it's favor during its growth heydays in the 50's and 60's. I think that Ga's second tier cities all compare favorably, Augusta's had a larger population to begin with and it like all the other cities continue to grow.

I did think it was a stretch for ATLman1 to say that Columbus is Ga's second largest city without having quantifiable info. Using comparisons such as trade area population versus MSA population is unscientific. ;) (though I'm guessing that Augusta's CSRA population is larger than Columbus' trade area population still).

I've only visited Columbus one time and was not impressed with the skyline, though it has many beautiful old homes and neighborhoods (like Athens, Savannah, Augusta) It certainly doesn't look as big as Augusta. I do think that the second tier cities would benefit from having more progressive city leadership and better connectivity between each other (ie freeway connections). I also think that the second tier cities should examine the positive things that made Atlanta into what it is and avoid the negative things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Columbus's buildings are spread out and not consolidated downtown. If they were, Columbus would have GA's second best skyline. Columbus's buildings are much more modern than other second tier cities buildings. Soon though, Columbus will regain its title as GA's second biggest city. Within 2 or 3 years, Columbus will be number 2 again.

• 2 months later...

I have lived in Columbus for many years. I do not consider Lee Co., AL to be part of the Metro area.

How can you not? It is right across the river! Auburn/Opelika is only 25 miles away! The only reason their not in our metro is because they have a metro themselves. All of the cities are connected. Our news media is together, everything is together. With all the growth in southern Lee Co., it will soon become part of our MSA. It will happen soon. Most of the people who live in southern Lee Co. work in Columbus. With AFLAC and Fort Benning expanding, it will only bring the two metros into one consolidated metro. This is all one area and has been for years.

How can you not? It is right across the river! Auburn/Opelika is only 25 miles away.

I drove there Saturday. There is about 20+ miles of nothing between Phenix City and Auburn/Opelika. About the same distance as between Denver and Boulder.

I talked to friends this AM. I stand corrected. South Lee County is definitely a part of the metro area.

I still do not feel Auburn/Opelika is a part.

• 2 weeks later...

^^Yea i know, but unfortunately Columbus, ga is not as popular to some as Ohio's capital. i've only been to columbus once and i really liked it. my girlfriend lives there, so i visited her and we went to the carmike cinema (which surprisingly i have to say was one of the greatest movie theatres i have ever been to with a mindblowing selection of popcorn:wub:) and the river walk which was really nice at night. Columbus has a lot of potential to grow into something big and modern, but still keep its humble south georgia charm.

• 9 months later...

Columbus is twice the size of Macon. That city is only known since it is on I-75. Athens because of UGA. I can't believe people have not heard of it. Columbus has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, army installation (Fort Benning) in the world. The base is growing like crazy and is bringing 18,000+ new soldiers and family members to the area in 2005. This will push Columbus's population way over Augusta's because both cities are very comparable in size. The only reason people have heard of Augusta is because of the Masters. Macon and Savannah are losing population. It is just hard to imagine people haven't heard of Columbus because of Fort Benning, major companies like AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas, Char-broil, etc.

NO buddy columbus is no way near twice as the size Macon I have been to columbus several time and seem the map of that city and there is no way that it is that large. Also macon has more than just 75 it has I-475,& I-16 also augusta according the 2004/2005 stat. is the 2nd largest city in Ga. Also macon has corp.GEICO, RIVERWOOD, BB&T, ALLSTATE, IKON, YKK, SARA LEE; KOHLS & BASSPRO Distrisbution Centers, and KELLOGG Just anounced it will be locatiing to Macon. Macon is going to be the next large city after Atlanta because there a great deal grow in Macon you need to visit it, because it's obivious you have not been there in a while. in additon, suburbian Warner Robins is also doing a great of grow as well which is apart of Macon's Metro.

• 1 month later...
NO buddy columbus is no way near twice as the size Macon I have been to columbus several time and seem the map of that city and there is no way that it is that large. Also macon has more than just 75 it has I-475,& I-16 also augusta according the 2004/2005 stat. is the 2nd largest city in Ga. Also macon has corp.GEICO, RIVERWOOD, BB&T, ALLSTATE, IKON, YKK, SARA LEE; KOHLS & BASSPRO Distrisbution Centers, and KELLOGG Just anounced it will be locatiing to Macon. Macon is going to be the next large city after Atlanta because there a great deal grow in Macon you need to visit it, because it's obivious you have not been there in a while. in additon, suburbian Warner Robins is also doing a great of grow as well which is apart of Macon's Metro.

• 1 month later...

yerocal was probably goin off of the feel of Macon.

ATLman its nice that you love Columbus, but I'm from Macon and I moved to Columbus to go to CSU.

Macon seems WAY faster. Columbus just has that one little interstate "1-185" a Branch of of 85...I mean come on LOL.....Columbus Downtown is a joke....No skyline whatsoever....Macon's Skyline looks alot larger than a city for the population that size

Columbus and Muscogee are Consolidated to form its CITY POPULATION. If Macon and Bibb did the same it would only be about 30,000 smaller.

and if you are goin to talk about Auburn/Opelika...can we atleast get an Interstate to Connect these areas to Columbus instead of backwoods Highways.....they dont even feel like suburbs

Macon feels more like a city than Columbus.......

If u take the places outside of Metro ATL

Chatham County would be the most populated (over 200,000) Savannah

Richmond County (Right at 200,000) Augusta

Muscogee County (Right under 200,000) Columbus

Bibb County (Around 160..170,000) Macon

Thats basically the same...the only thing that makes Columbus different is that is FEELS slower than the others

..no 'REAL' Interstate "185" is a branch off of 85 and doesnt even co completely threw Columbus...No Skyline...PATHETIC little mall.......it

Macon is more of a City.....and definetly has more of a feel...no matter what you type....anyone who has been to the 2 can see that

If u take the places outside of Metro ATL

Chatham County would be the most populated (over 200,000) Savannah

Richmond County (Right at 200,000) Augusta

Muscogee County (Right under 200,000) Columbus

Bibb County (Around 160..170,000) Macon

Thats basically the same...the only thing that makes Columbus different is that is FEELS slower than the others

..no 'REAL' Interstate "185" is a branch off of 85 and doesnt even co completely threw Columbus...No Skyline...PATHETIC little mall.......it

Macon is more of a City.....and definetly has more of a feel...no matter what you type....anyone who has been to the 2 can see that

yerocal was probably goin off of the feel of Macon.

ATLman its nice that you love Columbus, but I'm from Macon and I moved to Columbus to go to CSU.

Macon seems WAY faster. Columbus just has that one little interstate "1-185" a Branch of of 85...I mean come on LOL.....Columbus Downtown is a joke....No skyline whatsoever....Macon's Skyline looks alot larger than a city for the population that size

Columbus and Muscogee are Consolidated to form its CITY POPULATION. If Macon and Bibb did the same it would only be about 30,000 smaller.

and if you are goin to talk about Auburn/Opelika...can we atleast get an Interstate to Connect these areas to Columbus instead of backwoods Highways.....they dont even feel like suburbs

Macon feels more like a city than Columbus.......

I've never been to Columbus, but I"ve been to Macon. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference, and from what I've heard about Columbus, it seems similar to Augusta. Savannah has a slightly different vibe, but we're all basically the same. I do not consider Columbus to be slower than Augusta or Macon. I think Columbus has done a better job with Columbus State than Augusta has with Augusta State. I also think that downtown Columbus is becoming an attractive place (if it's not already). Let's just grow our cities!!!

I've never been to Columbus, but I"ve been to Macon. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference, and from what I've heard about Columbus, it seems similar to Augusta. Savannah has a slightly different vibe, but we're all basically the same. I do not consider Columbus to be slower than Augusta or Macon. I think Columbus has done a better job with Columbus State than Augusta has with Augusta State. I also think that downtown Columbus is becoming an attractive place (if it's not already). Let's just grow our cities!!!

You people are missing the point. As far as industry, I never said Macon has more than Columbus. Several of you guys are commenting off going through these cities or simply visting there. I have LIVED in Columbus and Macon, and all I'm sayin is Columbus feels more slow paced than Macon.

Macon with the 2 main interstates and 475 sees lots of traffic flow, especially considerin I-75 holds bundles of traffic headed to Florida and to Atlanta. We actually have a skyline, our mall is much nicer and the whole urban vibe is felt stronger than Columbus, whch is pretty much in the middle of nowhere with that branch off of 85 (185).

An aspect of URBAN VIBE would be to have a nice social setting, and in that part of Georgia I know plenty people would would rather hang out in Albany than Columbus.

Columbus just feels like some super sized Suburb

Don't put words in my mouth I'm not talkin about which is "better" overall. I'm talking about which one feels more like a city. I know overall Columbus has a slightly larger population, is a safter place to live, and more jobs to offer than Macon, but it just feels like a country town thats spreaded out.

And as I stated previously, with our heavy traffic flow, tons of interstate, Skyline, and Poverty Problems....Macon just seems more like a City.

I'm not sayin one is "BETTER" than the other.

It's just that some of you are comng off like Columbus is so much of a CITY and Macon is a COUNTRY TOWN, but anyone who had lived in both cities can tell you Macon is the faster of the two.

Lets get serious. I'm sure Columbus has the lousiest skyline for any hub city in the country that has a population as big as (185,000). Same Goes for the mall and night life.

There are plenty of cities with Columbus' Population and LOWER that feel WAAAAY more like a true city

Don't put words in my mouth I'm not talkin about which is "better" overall. I'm talking about which one feels more like a city. I know overall Columbus has a slightly larger population, is a safter place to live, and more jobs to offer than Macon, but it just feels like a country town thats spreaded out.

And as I stated previously, with our heavy traffic flow, tons of interstate, Skyline, and Poverty Problems....Macon just seems more like a City.

It's just that some of you are comng off like Columbus is so much of a CITY and Macon is a COUNTRY TOWN, but anyone who had lived in both cities can tell you Macon is the faster of the two.

Lets get serious. I'm sure Columbus has the lousiest skyline for any hub city in the country that has a population as big as (185,000). Same Goes for the mall and night life.

There are plenty of cities with Columbus' Population and LOWER that feel WAAAAY more like a true city

• 2 weeks later...

Archived