Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

How did you guys find UrbanPlanet? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started noticing a trend of Google pointing me to this site whenever I would do a search on a new project in town. Then, after lurking for a couple weeks I saw a topic that sparked a reply so I joined. It's been my favorite website since.

I even got a perfect grade for a class project where I explained the concept of a virtual community and then demonstrated using UrbanPlanet as an example. A lot of people in the class expressed interest in the subject and community, so hopefully that drew some members.

I even got a perfect grade for a class project where I explained the concept of a virtual community and then demonstrated using UrbanPlanet as an example.  A lot of people in the class expressed interest in the subject and community, so hopefully that drew some members.

:D

I had to read that 10 times, haha! I'm glad we could be presented as a role model in a way, that really puts a smiles on a few faces.

I had found SSP and SSC through google when looking for projects info a few years ago. I read them often when charlotte topics came up, but i never added any input because they seemed like such hostile forums.

When i noticed that the active charlotte forumers shifted to this site, i continued to follow the updates, and finally i decided to chime in.

How did you guys find UrbanPlanet? 

Neo is the founder of the site and through a mutual friend I joined him as member #5 along with a few other Charlotte and Atlanta forumers.  We now have over 1200 members and I am glad to see you guys coming here to discuss Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that I found it the easy way; a referral.

In the spirit of Charlotte "Off Topic"...

I heard about this publication last night for the first time and thought I would be of interest to folks here.

http://www.charlotteviewpoint.org/

I apologize if this is old news to folks or if i've missed its mention in another thread.

...and staying "on topic"... I found urbanplanet when google kept sending me here

Edited by archiham04

Anyone been out to Charlotte Douglas Airport recently at night? I was out there last night and they are nearing completion of the new 3,000 space parking deck...it is lined with decorative lighting...that are purple blueish...almost black lightish...I know its just a parking deck...but it looks pretty kewl....and considering that ours cost $30M....and RDU's new deck cost $120M....I think we got a good deal.

Edited by uptownliving

I just wanted to say first and foremost, " hello room", why is eveybody still syaing that Charlotte metro pop. is still 1.5 million because its not its much higher... check emporis...thats where everyone is using alot of their facts about buildings and metro populations, why can't Charlotte.......im from NY and I like it here, so we need to correct people everytime they continue to put Charlotte further back in the category of other cities that are not on the same page and population......THANKS I REALLY ENJOY THIS FORUM!!!!

Welcome hotspottny!    I hope the off-line conversation we had about the difference in MSA, and CSA helps to explain the different numbers for Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks monsoon and hello Appatone ! I moved to Charlotte last year around september and I have enjoyed my stay thus far and this city really surprised me since the last time I visited but it's a good thing and I have about 6 other friends and family who are moving to this area this year so i'm really excited about that . I 've always had family here though and so I took a new job that had a good salary and packed up and now i'm here....I Speak highly of this city to all my friends up north and who knows it might be more than that moving here soon , they are all excited to visit the area and whether you know it or not Charlotte is talked about alot in NY...... :D

I inquired to IKEA about their plans to enter the Charlotte market and here is what I got back:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We do recognize the potential customer base that exists for us in the your area; however, with only 22 stores currently in the U.S., we have not committed to a timeframe for entering that market yet.

Currently, our focus is on building new stores in markets where we already have a presence (Our economies of scale are what keep our prices so low).

Your interest in IKEA coming to Charlotte will be noted and forwarded to the appropriate department. Please feel free to check back with us at a later date, as we are still developing our plans for 2005, 2006, and 2007. You can also visit our website, to view a list of stores that are currently on our timeline:

-Atlanta, GA: Summer 2005

-Frisco, TX Summer - 2005

-West Sacramento: Fall - 2005

We do hope that this information has been helpful, and we thank you for your inquiry."