Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

There was a violent armed robbery in Dilworth this weekend. I will let the posting from Idilworth.org speak for itself, it's pretty disturbing to me since I am always walking around Dilworth. Stay alert 24/7!!

On those lines there was a quadruple murder in Charlotte today that made it onto the national news. This occurred at the Tree Top condos which I find fascinating since at one time this place was considered a very upscale place to live in Charlotte. The news tonight said this is now one of the worst areas for violent crime in Charlotte. It goes to show you how the neighborhoods change over time in Charlotte.

My wife and I had reservations for dinner downtown this past Friday and instead of taking the train like we have been to get downtown we just decided to drive. We parked under The Green park ($3 is hard to beat). On our way back to the park from dinner a pan handler got us a little scared. I'm used to pan handlers as I lived and worked in downtown Chicago for a while and it has never bothered me in Charlotte until this occurrence. As we passed (on Tryon mind you) he was asking us for some money for food. As usual we just ignored him and kept walking but instead of him moving on to the next person he just started walking behind us, shouting vulgarity, etc. I was honestly afraid to turn around in fear that he may have a weapon. Luckily he lost interest in us and turned around but it certainly does instill some fear of walking around now, especially after daylight.

It is unfortunate that on a street like Tryon in the heart of downtown such an activity goes on. I met my fair share of pan handlers in Chicago, and even in sketchy neighborhoods I never had an issue like this happen. I suppose it shows that Charlotte is not immune to this type of behavior, but where it happened was surprising to us.

Well, there was another robbery in Dilworth today. This is getting totally ridiculous. DCDA will have to start sponsoring a support group if we keep going at this rate. The victim reported that a male ran up to her near Park&Magnolia and snatched her purse. A second person drove the getaway car. This modus operandi is similar to recent attacks in the Freedom Park neighborhood targeting women walking alone. CMPD is just not equipped with enough manpower or funding to manage. In recent days though there has been so much angst raised that tonight I noticed several cruisers on Worthington which I live around the corner from and here on Park. Finally. A little late though.

I went by the Obama HQ on Liz Ave today. The energy is electric there. I think it's great that NC is getting some love this time around. All this excitement reminds me of going to school in Charleston during the primaries there. Very fun for wonkish folks like myself.

Edited by voyager12

Anyone have background details on the armed robbery at Snug Harbor? Two people stormed the bar after midnight and shot two customers. They caught one suspect. In the same vein, DCDA is meeting tonight. Should be a packed house. On the agenda is a vote on hiring off duty cops for security patrols and considering other options. If I recall correctly, Chantilly went through a pretty severe crime wave a few years back. Armed robberies, home invasion, sexual assault. They created Chantilly stickers for residents to put on their cars for ID purposes. Of course it's practical in Chantilly because it's a smaller neighborhood. We have so much thru traffic in Dilworth we might not end up being able to see the forest through the trees. Just thinking aloud....

I attended the DCDA meeting last night. I only stayed for the crime related part of the agenda. There was strong debate over hiring off duty CMPD for extra security but in the end DCDA Board voted to approve a one thousand dollar loan to start the patrols. There is a lot left to be worked out. Many in attendance don't want to pay extra when their tax dollars are going for inadequate police protection now. The main focus is City Council. The cops can't change the funding scheme on their own. Redistricting of police lines was cited as a major problem. Dilworth's zone extends from the S.Blvd boundary to Wendover Road. A bit stretched. Defining the boundaries of off duty patrols was also contentious. The whole neighborhood should be covered not just streets here and there. 200 dollars a house was floated as a way to repay the loan but there was debate about those that could not afford this fee. Media and most public perception shows Dilworth as a rich neighborhood. There are definitely upscale sections but a lot is also middle and working class outside of the historic zone especially. Another idea is to fundraise and distribute mini horns. The thought process being in an emergency one would sound a Dilworth horn and the nearest neighbor would turn on all their lights and go to their doors. I think this idea needs some work.....

The recent spate of crime is not confined to Dilworth. Home invasions, robberies, and assaults have been plaguing Sedgefield, Myers Park, Cotswold, subdivisions along Providence Road and more. Myers Park residents that banded together to pay for patrols have reported dramatic improvement so DCDA and the ancillary Dilworth Crime Coalition are hoping for the same result here.

I attended the DCDA meeting last night. I only stayed for the crime related part of the agenda. There was strong debate over hiring off duty CMPD for extra security but in the end DCDA Board voted to approve a one thousand dollar loan to start the patrols. There is a lot left to be worked out. Many in attendance don't want to pay extra when their tax dollars are going for inadequate police protection now. The main focus is City Council. The cops can't change the funding scheme on their own. Redistricting of police lines was cited as a major problem. Dilworth's zone extends from the S.Blvd boundary to Wendover Road. A bit stretched. Defining the boundaries of off duty patrols was also contentious. The whole neighborhood should be covered not just streets here and there. 200 dollars a house was floated as a way to repay the loan but there was debate about those that could not afford this fee. Media and most public perception shows Dilworth as a rich neighborhood. There are definitely upscale sections but a lot is also middle and working class outside of the historic zone especially. Another idea is to fundraise and distribute mini horns. The thought process being in an emergency one would sound a Dilworth horn and the nearest neighbor would turn on all their lights and go to their doors. I think this idea needs some work.....

The recent spate of crime is not confined to Dilworth. Home invasions, robberies, and assaults have been plaguing Sedgefield, Myers Park, Cotswold, subdivisions along Providence Road and more. Myers Park residents that banded together to pay for patrols have reported dramatic improvement so DCDA and the ancillary Dilworth Crime Coalition are hoping for the same result here.

This is probably due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, but why is there such a "shortfall" in terms of funding for putting more police officers on the streets? It appears to me that's one of the reasons why there has been a spike in crime. Obviously this seems to be a city council issue, but what's it going to take to get them to do that? I'm getting tired of seeing this crap. At some point residents are going to be taking things into their own hands.

This is probably due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, but why is there such a "shortfall" in terms of funding for putting more police officers on the streets? It appears to me that's one of the reasons why there has been a spike in crime. Obviously this seems to be a city council issue, but what's it going to take to get them to do that? I'm getting tired of seeing this crap. At some point residents are going to be taking things into their own hands.

You can't just add police officer's on a whim. They are carefully budgeted and it takes close to 2/3 of a year before one can go from day one to patrolling the street. And you can't just add 5 or 10. They come out in recruit classes of about 20 new officers that take 4-6 months of training plus another 2-3 months of them riding with a field trainer. Say they make $40,000 a year x 20 of them and that's $800,000 just in salaries. Then you have to pay for their training and their equipment. So each new batch of officers cost way over a million dollars. A million dollars doesn't just appear out of nowhere, they have to either cut other programs or find a new revenue source and this usually only happens once a year when the new budget comes out. It's not time for a new budget so we aren't seeing any new additions to the police force.

Tara Servatius slammed Dilworth in her CL column this week. Since the neighborhood votes mostly Democratic we apparently deserve to get shot at and assaulted. The last time I checked home invasions and robberies were also happening in far South Charlotte along Providence Rd. Deep in predominantly Republican country but Tara does not mention that fact of course.

Has anyone on here been to a Point8 Forum? I am on the email list but I have a conflict every time there is a meeting. The group actually dovetails pretty well with UP's mission. While the members here may be too diffuse to work together consistently offline it's just as beneficial to bring our input to groups that are currently striving for the same goals. Many of their topics discuss sensible urban planning and the challenge of bringing inspired architecture to Charlotte. For a change the topic on the 15th will cover the dynamic behind friendships. The meeting starts at 6pm at The Mint on Randolph.

Edited by voyager12

Gentrification's inexorable appetite can never be sated.....my apt house finally sold in Dilworth and is being converted into a Mcmansion. This follows a trend in the neighborhood. As I look around to find a place by May 15th most of the property management agencies seem quite shady to me. $50 non-refundable app fees. Security deposits due in order to just fill out an ap? TR Lawing won't rent to unmarried people and on and on and on. I am hoping to deal directly with a landlord like I am doing now and cut out the red tape. Wish me luck!

Edited by voyager12

Gentrification's inexorable appetite can never be sated.....my apt house finally sold in Dilworth and is being converted into a Mcmansion. This follows a trend in the neighborhood. As I look around to find a place by May 15th most of the property management agencies seem quite shady to me. $50 non-refundable app fees. Security deposits due in order to just fill out an ap? TR Lawing won't rent to unmarried people and on and on and on. I am hoping to deal directly with a landlord like I am doing now and cut out the red tape. Wish me luck!

OK, Voyager good luck. You might try Salem Village on Salem Drive behind Church of the Holy Comforter. Mid 1960s townhouses 2 bed 1 1/2 baths. I don't think Lawing was the manager, someone else. Rentals in 2003 were $750/month(that's when I lived there). There's also a newer section that is on Corton Drive, off Scott, not townhouses. The vibe may be too suburban for you but at least it's walkable to Dilworth. Here's their #: 704-948-5943.

I'm not sure how Lawing gets away with the rent-only-to-marrieds thing. I can imagine why they do it-married couples are perceived to be more stable and less likely to be evicted-but I'm uncertain whether that's legally enforceable under the Fair Housing Act.

With regard to the app fee, just make sure it's where you want to live. If approved, they should apply at least part of it to the first month's rent. Plus, you don't want to process too many apps-each one counts as a ding on your credit file (go figure, I guess because it looks like every time you process one, the previous co. turned you down.)

Check craigslist, of course. You're likelier to find an independent landlord there but the quality of service after you move in may likely be less.

Thanks for the tip....I think they are only offering two bedrooms now but I will take all the suggestions I can get. I love living in Dilworth but the rents on even small apts in old buildings have gone way up in the three years I have been in the neighborhood. I guess I lucked out with low rent and all utilities included. The new numbers have been quite the cold shower :( The little inventory that is not being converted into condos and mcmansions is overpriced and swamped with inquiries. It's hard to break through. I am having a little more luck in Elizabeth, mostly along Bay St off Hawthorne. I have to stay in a walkable pedestrian scale neighborhood. I like Elizabeth and it's funkier and less snobby compared to most of Dilworth these days. I don't expect most UPers to be able to relate to this perspective, condos are worshiped like the golden calf on this site. Not saying all of gentrification is bad but it certainly bites for those of us on the losing side who don't make money off of the process.

Edited by voyager12

I read over the Dem candidate profiles for the At Large County Commission primary this AM. I am most attracted to Triplett's and Davie's unabashed committments to social justice and sustainability. Hopefully they won't be perceived as too left wing by the voters. Mecklenburg may be a "blue" county but it's more in the moderate vein. Liberals are more than outnumbered by a more centrist Dem majority.

Marsh Properties has been a good leasing company to work with - they oversee Salem Village among others. I live in Sedgefield Apartments (which has 3 bedroom units available). Its certainly no aesthetic gem, but I still have great foot access everywhere, and its a quiet neighborhood. Elmhurst Apartments is also well placed, right next to Sedgefield Park.

Marsh Properties has been a good leasing company to work with - they oversee Salem Village among others. I live in Sedgefield Apartments (which has 3 bedroom units available). Its certainly no aesthetic gem, but I still have great foot access everywhere, and its a quiet neighborhood. Elmhurst Apartments is also well placed, right next to Sedgefield Park.

Thank you. I couldn't remember the leasing co. When I lived at Salem Village in 2003, they were first-rate with service.

I've rented from Marsh twice and have nothing but great things to say about them. I lived in Elmhurst Apts off Poindexter in the 90s and in Park Place across from Park Road Baptist Church in 2005 and got incredible service from them. Sedgefield Apartments are a real gem and you can walk to the New Bern Station in 10 minutes from there (not to mention the Home Economist, Monsoon Thai, and Star Cleaners).

The day after I posted my rant on this thread about gentrification kicking me out of Dilworth I found a nicer apt only two blocks down from me with not much higher rent :whistling: By then I had given up on this neighborhood completely and was going to lease a place in Elizabeth. Found the one near my current place after half-heartedly skimming the paper and had to put down my deposit on the first visit. The landlord was flooded with calls. I lucked out. I can't deal with red tape and the ridiculous mindnumbingly dragged out application process at property management agencies. I always deal with the landlord directly. No app fees, no double deposit fees no getting jerked around while waiting for approval. Most landlords are pain to deal with too but I would rather it be one person and not an agency. I don't like complexes. I would much rather live in older buildings in walkable neighborhoods. This preference entails dealing with more rundown conditions but it's worth it to me. I like Elizabeth and I spend a lot of time in PlazaMidwood, but after 3 years I have my routine down in Dilworth and did not want to uproot myself.

Edited by voyager12

^ I do not..... :tough: they are simply "areas of concern" Charlotte Native ;)

Voted today...was in and out rapidly. I admit to not being well versed at all regarding state auditor, most of the state judges and the other lower profile races. I chose not to vote on them and left those choices blank, just did not feel comfortably informed on any of them and did not want to resort to eeny meeny miney mo :lol:

• 2 weeks later...