Southside

ezcheese

Great pictures Cityboi! Future residents of City View Apartments will have the best view of Greensboro's

emerging skyline!

Does anyone have specific information on the progress on the Rail Yard Park? How are negotiations

going with the railroad? When can we expect construction to begin? Attitude changes with regards to railroad

right of way issues have me a little worried about the future of this project!

This is one of the most blight areas downtown and I am ready to see it cleaned up!

Yea the railyard is one of two downtown brownfields. THe other being at South Elm/Lee Street. The city of Greensboro and Action Greensboro is trying to get control of the railyard from Norfolk railroad since they dont use it any more. It usually takes time to get control of rigt of ways. The railroad companies are not easy to deal with and downtown development is not their concern. That is the main stumbling block for why Rail Road Park is not under construction but The city will eventualy get control of the land. It just takes time. Its alot of land and it will be a much larger park than center-city park. I cant wait til its converted to a park.

This shed would make a wonderful stage for performance. Just needs to be fixed up and not torn down since Rail Yard Park is suppose to have a railyard theme. an amphitheater on the right side would be perfect since there is a hill there and youd have the perfect view of Greensboro's skyline while watching music performances.

SS1221_17.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

southside is winning me over!! very attractive neighborhood.

glad to see some skyline photos including the "left-out" tower. which building is that? nice photos cityboi.

Its the Gateway Plaza Building (a residential establishment for the elderly). Its very unusual to see all of downtown's highrises in the same phot because the Gateway Building is so far away from the rest of the building. It just shows that downtown is much larger than those cluster of highrises. As a matter of fact im within downtown where I took that shot. Downtown also extends further left of the Gateway Tower. Anyways it was the perfect angle to get all the buildings. I still had to piece two photos together.

SS1221_12.jpg

I like this neighborhood (Southside) alot, because it seems to bridge the gap between very low density single family suburban homes and high-density or highrise apartments. It provides something in the middle more of which is badly needed IMHO throughout most of the entire southeast.
I would also like to see more retail established in Southside. Maybe the planned condo building near the neighborhood sqaure will have some along with a restuarant or two. Southside already has two restaurants. The Press and there is a little cafe in one of these live-work units:

ssn003-576.jpg

That shed idea is pretty cool, cityboi; never thought about that.

thanks. I think its great to provide a little space set aside for entertainment for the Southside residents and the entire community. I try to have a good eye for what can be preserved when land is being totally redeveloped. Somethings just have to be preserved for not only history's sake but to bring a unique charm to the neighborhood.

BTW here are some apartment in Southside. You would never guess they were apartments. It looks loike a Charleston home

ssn004-576.jpg

G383868_0.jpg

64572213-L.jpg

64573148-L.jpg

Southside continues to receive national awards. In 2004 Southside received "The National Award for Smart Growth Achievement"

Southside is even list as one of America's best new developments on the Sierra Club website for 2005.

http://www.sierraclub.org/dc/sprawl/bec/building-better.html

In 2003 The American Planning Association recognized Southside as the national winner of its 2003 Outstanding Planning Award.

according to the OHenry Builders website, a large commercial building will be built at the corner of Gorrell Street and King Street.

That would be to the right of the white townhomes in the forground of this photo. That must be why they are clearing land. I cant wait to see what the building will look like. Maybe it will be another New Orleans style building. plus a condo development is planned for Southside near the Corner of Arlington and Lewis Street. Its just exciting to hear about another development poping up in Southside.

SS1221_2b.jpg

according to the OHenry Builders website, a large commercial building will be built at the corner of Gorrell Street and King Street.

That would be to the right of the white townhomes in the forground of this photo. That must be why they are clearing land. I cant wait to see what the building will look like. Maybe it will be another New Orleans style building. plus a condo development is planned for Southside near the Corner of Arlington and Lewis Street. Its just exciting to hear about another development poping up in Southside.

SS1221_2b.jpg

Yeah I recall hearing something about a condo building going to built over there during the summer when I was working in Greensboro, I think its going to bring a little height to the area something like 5 stories I remember hearing, hopefully construction gets started really soon. Southisde is a wonderful development and it is great to see its continued expansion!!

• 5 weeks later...

Good news for downtown! Looks like they are anticipating the opening of City View Apartments this summer.

rent will be between $600 to $950 per month, not bad for brand new apartments in a downtown location.

There will be about 8 apartment buildings I think and the complex will include a pool, clubhouse for all of Southside's residents, a cardio center, internet cafe' and residential business center!

20070123-160139-Cityview-6.jpg

This is where they are being built

SS1221_12.jpg

SS1221_14.jpg

Those prices are dirt cheap compared to some other places.

Oh yea I found out why the rent will be cheap. most the apartments will be studio and 1 bedroom apartments. These are obviously geared towards young single professionals. That explains some of the amenties such as the internet cafe' and residential business center. Thats good because downtown will have a number of different living options for different people.

True. It will also keep this development from becoming another off-campus housing option for area college students.

Oh yea I found out why the rent will be cheap. most the apartments will be studio and 1 bedroom apartments. These are obviously geared towards young single professionals. That explains some of the amenties such as the internet cafe' and residential business center. Thats good because downtown will have a number of different living options for different people.

• 1 month later...

The railyard is an unsightly brownfield that divides Southside from the depot and Greensboro's skyline. In Action Greensboro's comprehensive plan the railyard is suppose to be a part of a mile long linear park called Rail Yard Park. now it looks like things may be shifting in gear to begin to make the park a reality. The railyard covers an area roughly twice the size of Center-City Park that opened last fall. Rail Yard Park would become come the third downtown park.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70308018

320southside13.jpg

320southside14.jpg

320railyardpark1.jpg

320railyardpark2.jpg

This is great. Hopefully this park will bring in more buisness and residential projects by the park in the future. Citiboy, are there any plans for the vacant parking lots across from the proposed park on MLK?

The City View Apartments will be right next to the park with part of the apartments fronting the park. The land east of the park and across from the street of the park on King Street (not MLK Dr), will have a commercial/retail row of buildings (currently under construction). As for the parking lots on MLK, im not sure but Im sure the Southside Developer wants to purchase the property and I can see a condominium structure built there around 4 or 5 stories. But they really need to turn the railyard into a park. Its really the last undsirable looking area in Southside and it would spur even more development in Southside. 17 babies have been born in Southside since the development was initially completed and the babies will need a place to play when they get a little older. A central gahering place for Southside is the one thing that the neighborhood lacks. but it wont just be a park for southside but a park for the rest of downtown as well.

and old aerial

arielview.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! Some encouraging news from Norfolk Southern Railway!

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70322034

very promising indeed!! and the Mayor is very confident he'll get the money too. Thanks for Posting

very promising indeed!! and the Mayor is very confident he'll get the money too. Thanks for Posting

I cant wait! I hope they do more than just making it a green space. I hope it will be designed for a variety of activities including an amphitheater for small concerts. Maybe even an urban playground for children.

BTW Chris Daughtry will be performing at Hamburger Square near the Railyard and next to Natty Greene's tonight. They expect over 8,000 people to downtown to see him perform. Its supose to be an event that coincides with the NCAA Women's Regionals at the Coliseum.

He'll be performing just left of the railyard where the roads form an X with the train train tracks going over. I think once the railyard is converted to a park such events at Hamburger Square will be moved to the park.

arielview.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived