Southside

ezcheese

Some of the design elements have changed for the planned Fountain View condos at Southside Square.

This is the origional design

4-19-0726.jpg

Here is a split screen showing the first design and th secon design

fountain_view.jpg

Southside developer Bob Isner decided that he wanted the condos to look more similar to the townhomes in the same square so it would look more cohesive

nearby live-work units

southside.jpg

I don't know why but for some reason the third photo reminds me of Staten Island, NY

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed in the pictures from cityboi back at the end of October that the kitchen seems sort of cramped. The stove and fridge seem out of place and you loose all that counter space next to the stove. Also with the modern feel of these places I would have expected gas ranges instead of electric. Overall they look very cool it just seems like they may have cut some corners, which is typical.

Anyone know how these things are selling? I know there are a few of the older Southside condos that have been on the market for quite some time considering the desirability of this location.

I beleive the pictures you referring to are the apartments. City View apartments. They are not For Sale.

The Fountain View Condos have not even been build, but still in the planning stages. These will be For Sale.

I noticed in the pictures from cityboi back at the end of October that the kitchen seems sort of cramped. The stove and fridge seem out of place and you loose all that counter space next to the stove. Also with the modern feel of these places I would have expected gas ranges instead of electric. Overall they look very cool it just seems like they may have cut some corners, which is typical.

Anyone know how these things are selling? I know there are a few of the older Southside condos that have been on the market for quite some time considering the desirability of this location.

well the apartments are going fast. condo sales are a little flat at the moment but should pick up. The photos with the stove is inside a studio apartment which is the smallest of 3 plans. The studio apartments are a little over 600 square feet. Thats small but its enough room for someone who is single. The studio apartments at CityView are actually leasing faster than the larger units according to the apartment manager. And for good reason. Rent in a studio apartment there is about $650 per month.

Thanks for the clarification on the Apartment/Condo thing triadguy37. For some reason the apartments always go faster than condos. I always think I'd rather own it than rent it for the same cost.

That sounds about right that the apartments would go fairly fast especially with the down turn in the current housing market. It seems people are scared to buy anything. 600 sq ft for a studio apartment is about right and that explains the design of the kitchen. That's a damn good price for downtown living too.

Thanks for the clarification on the Apartment/Condo thing triadguy37. For some reason the apartments always go faster than condos. I always think I'd rather own it than rent it for the same cost.

That sounds about right that the apartments would go fairly fast especially with the down turn in the current housing market. It seems people are scared to buy anything. 600 sq ft for a studio apartment is about right and that explains the design of the kitchen. That's a damn good price for downtown living too.

Thats why developers are missing out on opportunties to build more apartments downtown. If you want residential downtown and condo sales are flat, you need to build apartments. There is a large demand for downtown apartments due to the lack of available rental units. Greensborough Court Apartments downtown stay rented out all the time. CityView units seem to be going fast. I got lucky and was able to secure my unit on the city view side. Probabally most of the remaining units face King Street and not Greensboro's skyline. But if you have a 3rd floor unit facing King Street, at least you would be able to overlook Southside even though you wouldnt have a skyline view. Personally I think the complex should have been designed so that all units had a skyline view even if it meant making the buidlings 6 stories instead of 3. CityView apartments manager told me the apartments wont be ready until December 1st. They were suppose to be ready November 1st.

We must've just missed each other! :lol:

Cityboi, you are a lucky man to be living in this neighborhood!

Update 11-10-07

1959472480_70f40debcb_b.jpg

1959492544_e8910dccf1_b.jpg

1958685911_59b78215e8_b.jpg

1959528104_8b4bf1dc09_b.jpg

1959541744_1c3ba28d5e_b.jpg

1959562308_a28b7cd7a7_b.jpg

1959581812_ddf5e8069e_b.jpg

1958796731_488da98199_b.jpg

lol we almost met in person!! It looks like I came minutes after you because all the workers had left. Judging by the sunset we were minutes apart. Im excited about moving here I love the neighborhood. I love the apartment amenites, exposed brick walls, open truss ceilings, beautifaul light fixtures. They really are luxury apartments and $650 (for studio) is a great deal for living downtown. I also can cancel my AOL because the apartments will have free wireless internet. The Studio Apartments arent really studios because the bedroom isnt combined with the living room/kitchen. Its a seperate room. In the studio the bedrooms are a little small but the bathrooms are pretty big. Im use to sleeping in small bedrooms so it wont bother me at all. Im just excited about have my own space. The only thing is if you are not use to hearing trains roar by 20 times a day youd better get use to it LOL. The apartments will have extra insulation to minimize the sound but you'll still hear them because the apartments pretty much sit near the edge of the tracks.

The Press Wine Cafe was packed last night. I saw dozens of people walking there all dressed up. When I see stuff like that Im totally blown away because I know how that neighborhood use to be 15 years ago. I mean it was awful, there were prostitutes, winos, homeless people, crime, you name it. And now its this upscale neighborhood with a fine wine cafe and half a million dollar townhomes. Simply amazing! I cant think of any transformation like that in our state. The nighborhood has recieved several national awards and has even appeared on CNN's website in reference to MLK drives across America.

Yes, I was going to ask you about the trains. I was there for about 15 minutes and at least 2 trains went by. Do they have soundproof walls?

yes they will. I know a train went by when I was there too. But thats just a part of urban living. Think what New Yorkers have to go through with the subway trains. I know the people who are living in Smothers Place Lofts really hear the trains because they are even closer to the tracks than CityView. Amazingly all those condos are sold out despite train noise.

I didn't mind the train noise, infact I kind of enjoyed it myself. I was just wondering because most Triad residents are unaccustomed to frequent noises where they live and whether that was a determent for some.

I also dont mind the noise. I hate it when its too quiet

Well its official! Ive signed the lease and I will be moving into CityView the 1st of December! Im so excited. The apartment buildings will be gated, there will be security cameras around the property as well as apartment security patroling the complex throughout the day.

I found out the apartment complex will have concierge and the apartment manager told me there will be a phase two. They are clearing off land for several more apartment buildings with one being an L-shaped 6-story midrise. In total there will be over 400 apartments. Across the street from CityView Apartments, they are building a restuarant, upscale urban grocery as well as some more residential above retail/office.

The clubhouse is awesome. Its totally complete with 3 plasma tvs on the wall, pool table, remote control fireplace, business center, cardio center and Wi, Sony Play Station and XBOX room. I will be picking up my furniture tomorrow.

I was actually surprised when I found out there is going to be a phase 2 to CityView. I thought the 4 apartment buildings along the railroad tracks were it. The 6-story CityView mid-rise was also a nice little surprise. Just last week I was commenting on how they should have made CityView 6-stories. Im sure it will be an amazing view from the 6th floor aprtments. Based on the height of the current CityView buildings it will be a pretty tall 6-story building because ceiling heights are like 9 feet. Those upper unit will likely be the most expensive in the entire complex. Downtown Greensboro currently has apartments "The lofts at Greensboro Court" which is an old renovated textile mill and there are units for rent spread out through out downtown. But CityView is the first newly constructed downtown apartment complex and with over 400 apartments it will be the largest. The planned restaurant and upscale urban small grocery across the street from CityView will be a nice touch. I can actually walk to get my groceries. I can also walk to the Press Wine Cafe & restaurant a block away. Im just so excited because in two weeks I will be in my new home. With my cable my rent will be $725 per month which is a unbelievable for such a luxury apartment complex in a fairly upscale section of downtown.

Is there a grocery store near by?

yes it will be across the street. It wont be like an urban Harris Teeter, it will be a small upscale grocer. But the nearest super market is Food Lion on East Market Street

Congrats, cityboi! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new urban lifestyle. :)

Thanks Krazeeboi!

Archived