Southside

ezcheese

Superb job on the 7th photo! I love the reflection off the cars! :good:

CityView is a top-notch project in my book. Quality materials, brick all the way around, and walkability give this development an unmatched level of character in the Triad.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superb job on the 7th photo! I love the reflection off the cars! :good:

CityView is a top-notch project in my book. Quality materials, brick all the way around, and walkability give this development an unmatched level of character in the Triad.

Thanks! dont forget there is a third phase to CityView Apartments which will include some retail, a small grocery, a restaurant and a few more residential units. This is why I love CityView Things are moving along nicely. Here is a rendering of FountainView Condos at Southside. These will be the first condos in Southside. Everything else in Southside are townhomes, live-work, single family homes and apartments. The developer of Southside said FountianView along with the planned CityView apartments commercial project will wrap up his development in Southside because he has run out of land. There are a few properties in Southside which could one day be sold though. There is a paved lot at the corner of Arlington St and MLK thats screaming for development and would be perfect for condos with a small restaurant but until its up for sale Bob Isner will soon be finished with Southside.

25825656.jpg

Prices Starting at $199,900

14 Condominiums

2 Bedroom, 2 Bath

9 Ft Ceilings

Hardwood Floors

Granite Countertops

Stainless Steel Appliances

Tray Ceilings on Third Floor

Interior Entrance with Elevator

Garages

My experience living at CityView has been great. On a regular basis I walk to the restaurants and bars on Elm Street and have been to "The Press" a block away from CityView a number of times. Its healthy exercise and I save on gas.

I'm really glad to see CityView succeeding. Do you know what the occupancy rate is in the apartments? I would think there would be a high demand right now with the decline of the housing/condo market and the need for cheaper places to live downtown.

Also, I seem to recall you saying a high/mid-rise building was planned for CityView. Is that still on the table or has it been shelved/scaled back?

I'm really glad to see CityView succeeding. Do you know what the occupancy rate is in the apartments? I would think there would be a high demand right now with the decline of the housing/condo market and the need for cheaper places to live downtown.

Also, I seem to recall you saying a high/mid-rise building was planned for CityView. Is that still on the table or has it been shelved/scaled back?

The completed buildings (4 of them) are almost rented out. There may be a handful left and I know you wont find any available units on the skyline view side of the buildings. The two buildings by the pool wont be ready for occupancy until September and the last two buildings, the framework is going up so it will likely be December when they will be ready for occupancy. It appears that the last two buildings wont be 6 story midrises based on the way they are being constructed. It looks like they will be 3 stories like the rest. Its not that there isnt enough demand because there is plenty of demand for rentals in downtown Greensboro. The problem I see is parking. The more people you pack in that complex, the more parking you have to have. Even now its difficult at times to find parking close to your unit as more and more people move in. I believe the reason they decided not to go with 6-stories is because of parking issues. The complex will already have about 240 units. Thats alot of people and cars. I can see why they dont seem to be going with the 6 story plan. But the buildings are gated. You have to have security card to get in the buildings, club house and pool area. Each apartment has a monitored alarm system. Mine went off by accident one day and the police were there in no time. Every Friday evening there is a social in the club house with free beer, wine and food for the apartment residents.

That's good news. The increased population density should make the area much more attractive to commercial development; I hope its success will lead to more apartments in this style being built in and around downtown.

That's good news. The increased population density should make the area much more attractive to commercial development; I hope its success will lead to more apartments in this style being built in and around downtown.

maybe we'll see a similar development near the ballpark. Im sure the units would fill up just as fast or faster.

Here are some photos of the "tower homes" These townhomes have 3 floors plus a rooftop patio. The price is for a unit ($216,990). Each unit has two bedrooms and two baths. The living room and kitchen are set up in an open floor plan. But they are very interesting and unique.

towerhomes08_1.jpg

towerhomes08_2.jpg

towerhomes08_3.jpg

I love those ceilings!

towerhomes08_4.jpg

towerhomes08_5.jpg

towerhomes08_6.jpg

towerhomes08_7.jpg

towerhomes08_8.jpg

Towerhomesatsouthside.jpg

Certainly a unique design, that's for sure. ;)

Cityboi, do you know what type of material they used on the exterior of these? It appears to be a metal-ish/tin cladding material, but I'm not sure.

It is not metal. I think it is that same cemetaous, hardi board siding they used on West End Villiage and The Gateway.

most people like the interior of the Tower homes better than the exterior. Its a unique design but I do think the exterior should mainly have been brick with siding accents. But im in love with the hardwood floors and the ceiling in the bedroom.

• 3 weeks later...

The Southside neighborhood is an excellent revitalization of a challenged neighborhood! I know these are live-work units, but imagine the bustling neighborhood it could be if the bottom floors of those brick townhomes were leased to retailers. Think Meadowmont Village in Chapel Hill, except in an urban location.

Nice pictures. Have they started construction on the commercial space at King and Gorrell St. yet?

not yet. They are behind schedule but its suppose to be the last phase of the CityView Apartments. The commercial project is actually as part of CityView Apartments. I assume they will likely wait til the last four apartment buildings are complete which will likely be sometime this fall. It appears that the commercial portion will be a small row of buildings that will include a restaurant, possibally a small upscale grocery (so im told by CityView management), retail and a few residential units. Parking will be located behind the buildings and there will be outdoor cafe seating between the buildings and at the corner of King and Gorrell Streets. CityView is a unique project for Greensboro. No apartment complex in the city has its own restaurant, shops and grocery story. CityView Commercial at Southside will be a welcome addition to downtown that will be supported by all downtown residents and not just the apartment residents at CityView. I must say I love living here too and then be able to just walk across the street to a grocery store and restaurant. It doesnt get any better than that :)

the big space in the photo is for a restaurant. The space on the opposite end looks like it would be a good location for a corner grocery.

CityVSouth15.jpg

The Southside neighborhood is an excellent revitalization of a challenged neighborhood! I know these are live-work units, but imagine the bustling neighborhood it could be if the bottom floors of those brick townhomes were leased to retailers. Think Meadowmont Village in Chapel Hill, except in an urban location.

It would nice to see a few national retailers. Right now its mainly residents who own their own business. There are a variety of businesses too from hair salons and a barbershop to communications companies. There are already two restaurants in Southside counting The Press. I would love for someone to post photos of the Southside Neighborhood before this unbelievable transformation. Its like night and day. 15 years ago I would have never believed Southside would have turned out like it has today. Back then you would have been scared to walk the streets of Southside. Homes were run down with winos loitering on just about every corner. There was even prostitution and other crime. Today its the most upscale neighborhood in downtown Greensboro with a fancy wine cafe' and $500,000 townhomes. What a story for Greensboro!

CityVSouth18.jpg

I really hope the Murrow Station project (If it ever happens) takes as many cues from Southside as possible. Southside is one of the few "new" urban neighborhoods I've seen built that accurately captures just what makes urban areas great. I've seen so many "neighborhoods" like this one that are built from scratch and completely screw everything up from an urban perspective. Notable offenses are:

1. Garages that go straight out into the street, while possibly required in a few instances, are usually unnecessary and make the area look and feel uninviting. (Southside does a very good job at keeping the garages and parking lots from really intruding on the neighborhood)

2. Very poor attempts at "Modern" architecture that leave the structures looking like crap a few years later once the EIFS loses its luster. This is actually a part of the bigger problem of using faux "Modern" architecture to cover up the fact that the builder just didn't want to spend too much money on materials.

3. Completely unconnected to the surrounding urban fabric. Believe it or not, it's not a horrible crime to have your building *gasp* touch another one.

While the focus has been on new development in Southside, there have been a number of renovation projects. Here is one such renovation project. Its the Field House, located behind the FountainView condos now under construction. This house is one of the oldest in the city. It was built in 1876 and probabally the oldest in Southside. Its two-story Italianate brick house. Southside is not all about new development. There have been a number of historic structures that have been saved. Its usually very difficult for developers to pull off new development mixed with historic structures but developer Bob Isner has done a great job doing that in Southside.

100_3453.jpg

my place at in Southside:)

2729953174_488ffd58d9.jpg

2729955156_7b02d7fe51.jpg

2725474777_e09470f503.jpg

2685782972_2ee3686dcd.jpg

2725479963_67a758dfda.jpg

LOL. yea my name and a few comments from me were mentioned. Its an excellent article and I hope some local developers pay attention to it and the demand for these kind of projects, especially in the center-city. But you'd be surprised who lurks around on these forums. A number of well known people in the media, city government and developers are either members on this forum or are just lurking guests. I know of a few but im not going to reveal their identitites ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived