Southside

ezcheese

Well I moved some of my furniture in. The apartment is great! The apartment managers fed us free breakfast, lunch, dinner and beer. For dinner I had sushi :) I also found out that chief meterologist Eric Chilton (WFMY) will be living at CityView. I have to take more photos when I get my apartment straight.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh so that confirms it was Eric Chilton I saw on a Vespa scooter in Southside when I was in Greensboro last month. ^_^ Seems like we have quite a gathering of media personalities at Southside.

Congratulations again on your new home, and I too look forward to seeing your photos!

Well my apartment is starting to come together :) I have all my living room furniture in place, I just need to get some bedroom furniture and I need to bring a kitichen table that I got. My new tv is coming today. I think the location of CityView does take some getting use too. Trains do come by 1 and 2 am in the morning and they do blow the train whistles. I can only imagine how loud it is for people who live in Smothers Place Lofts. It too is just feet from the railroad tracks but the rail crossing where they blow the whistle is right there at Smothers Place Lofts. But im really enjoying my new apartment and Ive bumped into News 2 meterologist Eric Chilton twice now. Once I get my apartment just right i'll post some photos.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an update on where we stand on the Railway Park at Southside? Last I heard, (summer 2007) the city of Greensboro was working with the railroad to move forward with the project. That is such a blight area of downtown and I will be happy to see it transformed into something nice! Any info will be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

I wish I knew. With the opening of CityView Apartments and the construction of the planned restaurant, retail, grocery across the street, I would think the city would be really pushing to turn that into a park as soon as possible. Its one of the very few blight parcels in Southside, certainly the largest blighted area. That warehouse across from CityView needs to be torn down. That triangular parcel of land could be transformed into more residential and maybe even some entertainment venues. Id love to see more entertainment venues in Southside. There are also an ugly old build with overgrown trees, weeds and vines behind the McAdoo Townhomes that needs to be taken care of.

Ive outlined the blighted areas of Southside in red. I would love to see some sort of entertainment venue on the triangular parcel across from CityView. (Maybe a Dinner Theater which is something downtown Greensboro doesnt have) Even just an upscale restaurant would be nice there.

As for the railyard, I know in Action Geensboro's plan its suppose to include a pond which would connect with a series of ponds along the rail road tracks forming a linear park. There are also abandoned rail lines on the edge of Southside and curve throught downtown. I think that would be great if those lines were used for trolley service. Those lines eventutally connect with the Battleground Rail Corridor, which according to an unknown citizen, the city is looking having a trolley/rail service along that corridor.

Phase 2 of CityView Apartments will include 4 more buildings, one being a 6-story midrise.

I drove by the Fountain View Condos site and it looks like they are grading the land.

2225641323_fbe7f75b97_o.jpg

doing some researching on line I uncovered an old downtown revitalization plan from the late 1980s which looks very similar to some of the things that have been developed over the past few years like the Center-City Park. The 80s plan called for it to be in its location today. It has taken almost 20 years to get that park built. The planned called for a downtown convention center to be built were the Greensboro Inn Slum motel is across from the Marriott. A dowtown convention center resurfaced in the "Greensboro Triumph Center" Proposal. Also large Amtrak/transportation center was to be built where the blighted railyard is today and the old depot was to be used for retail and restaurants. Of course they decided just to use the Old Depot for the Amtrak Station. But I thought it was interesting.

The Press and Manny's Cafe were known as Southside's only restaurants but now a gift shop in Southside called basketdoodles will be serving coffee, gourmet teas, smoothies and croissants. You find exotic taste such as papaya, aloe vera teas, mango, pomegranate and wine smoothies. The shop, located in a live-work unit, is owned by Kimberly Brown who is also on the board of Downtown Greensboro Inc, Kimberly's husband (Marvin "Smitty" Smith) is the drummer for Jay Leno's band on the Jay Leno Show. Kimberly also had a shop in California and made baskets for Denzel Washington and Martin Lawerence.

Here is a 360 tour of the Tower Homes at Southside...very nice!!

http://www.uspropertydirectory.com/carolin...&triad=yes#

The model is very nice and the concept is nice and modern! However, these condos are not moving very fast because they are way overpriced!

When I was looking to buy downtown, I was lucky enough to have a contractor friend from out of town to visit and tour condos with me. We checked these one day while the workers were on their lunch break. My buddy loved the style and concept. However, he didn't like the pressboard exterior siding that was used in construction. He claims that owners will have problems within five years with moisture and freezing temperatures causing the pressboard to bow and crack. He did say materials used on the inside were of better quality. Please note: I'm not bashing these condos! I think they are beautiful. The assessment of their quality was just the view of one contractor.

A brick exterior and a garage might have made these worth the asking price!

• 2 months later...

Those new units at CityView are going up super fast!

Yea, they have erected two more buildings behind the club house pretty fast. They still have to build the L shaped 6-story midrise. Throughout the entire complex they have been finishing up doing things such as landscaping and adding rails along the patios of the first floors. I signed a 6 month lease and have been there since December 1st. Its hard to believe we are getting close to 6 months. I will definately renew my lease.

• 2 months later...

Update: Construction is well underway for the Fountain View condos in Southside. The complex will front the Southside Square park

More buildings have been built for the CityView Apartments. Two have been built by the pool and two more are currently under construction. In total CityView will have 8 buildings with over 240 apartment units.

2635872897_d77c7bccda.jpg

2635873487_5873c7af36.jpg

patio deck ontop of clubhouse

2635874063_b945995b84.jpg

2636699116_f7597e4e66.jpg

2636699696_160445a0a0.jpg

2636443458_d7ff081134.jpg

2635618593_37528e8747.jpg

2634971499_baa936c9a3.jpg

2635796688_09d51e0422.jpg

2634972583_f794a71be4.jpg

2635797658_b466800895.jpg