Is Atlanta the most Important City in the South

thumper

Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?

• No
    • Yes

^Just so my thread isn't taken the wrong way, I don't trully think Atlanta is "the most important in the south".... The South is too large a geographic region and many people debate over what is an isnt "The South", but my point is that Atlanta is probably the closest to making that claim.  And, yes, I didn't include DC, because it is the Capital of the USA, not "The South".  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum tomahawkn. Very nice post, but everyone of your arguments has already been addressed here. Ive heard the saying about having to fly through Atlanta when you die but that came about when Eastern Airlines was the dominate airline in the South and Atlanta was the only hub. (Eastern has been gone a long time) There are now hubs in Charlotte, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Memphis and most Southerners have no need to fly through Atlanta. Hartsfield is busiest only because Atlanta has managed to only build just one airport. Most other metros of similar size and larger have more than one.

Atlanta dominates Ga. Not much else.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you will please reread my post, you will see that I didn't say Atlanta was "the most important city in the south". However, I DID say that if their was a "Most Important", Atlanta would be the closest to that city.

The thread asks a question, I gave my opinion. I think this thread was made more to attack Atlanta, out of jealous spite, than to really debate whether it is the South's most important city.

If you will please reread my post, you will see that I didn't say Atlanta was "the most important city in the south".  However, I DID say that if their was a "Most Important", Atlanta would be the closest to that city.

The thread asks a question, I gave my opinion.  I think this thread was made more to attack Atlanta, out of jealous spite, than to really debate whether it is the South's most important city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well let me add my 2 cents...lol.......jealous of Atlanta...............hmmmmmmmmmm :rofl: Well i'm from NY I have no reason to be jealous and i'm sure most of the people in this thread are not jealous at all.....WHY.........I live in the south now and I love Charlotte , which is a nice city but when I can't find what i'm looking 4 here in this city I go to DC or NY..........I'm not trying to go back and forth with you or anyone , its just plan and simple, Atlanta is not that important like you are trying to make it seem......and for you to say that it is out of jealousy that was ignorance.......there is so much more to the south than that one city..........but that is your opinion and this is mine....Welcome to the forum man!

..... I think this thread was made more to attack Atlanta, out of jealous spite, than to really debate whether it is the South's most important city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thread was requested by one of the most pro-Atlanta forumers here. Urbanplanet doesn't allow mindless attacks either on cities or people. I am sorry you feel that way, but happens to be the facts about this. I recommend you read paulblackgtx's post above before you start with the accusations.

Well let me add my 2 cents...lol.......jealous of Atlanta...............hmmmmmmmmmm :rofl: Well i'm from NY I have no reason to be jealous and i'm sure most of the people in this thread are not jealous at all.....WHY.........I live in the south now and I love Charlotte , which is a nice city but when I can't find what i'm looking 4 here in  this city I go to DC or NY..........I'm not trying to go back and forth with you or anyone , its just plan and simple, Atlanta is not that important like you are trying to make it seem......and for you to say that it is out of jealousy that was ignorance.......there is so much more to the south than that one city..........but that is your opinion and this is mine....Welcome to the forum man!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm not saying that every person who is "anti-Atlanta" on this forum is jealous, I just question the motives of this thread. Plus, I would say that there are a number who are. Of course, none will ever admit to it, so I will never be able to back this up... its just an assumption.

Ok, now another pet peeve I have after reading this thread, is the claims that not only is Atlanta not the "most important", but that its just plain "not that important". I'm not trying to make Atlanta seem any more important than it is, in fact, to you it may not be that important, which is fine. However, to say that it isn't one of the more important cities in our country is just plain absurd, and I can find a number of statistcs that back up that claim, many of them already posted on here. BTW, I love Charlotte, and think it is a great city, too.

The thread was requested by one of the most pro-Atlanta forumers here.  Urbanplanet doesn't allow mindless attacks either on cities or people.  I am sorry you feel that way, but happens to be the facts about this.  I recommend you read paulblackgtx's post above before you start with the accusations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats fine, I don't know why this thread was created, but I just think all a thread like this does is invite attacks on the city, not intelligent discussion. As one who lives in Atlanta, and who loves the city, you may see why this frustrates me.

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'm not saying that every person who is "anti-Atlanta" on this forum is jealous, I just question the motives of this thread.  Plus, I would say that there are a number who are.  Of course, none will ever admit to it, so I will never be able to back this up... its just an assumption. 

Ok, now another pet peeve I have after reading this thread, is the claims that not only is Atlanta not the "most important", but that its just plain "not that important".  I'm not trying to make Atlanta seem any more important than it is, in fact, to you it may not be that important, which is fine.  However, to say that it isn't one of the more important cities in our country is just plain absurd, and I can find a number of statistcs that back up that claim, many of them already posted on here.  BTW, I love Charlotte, and think it is a great city, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem man........I understand what you are saying it was one forumer in here who insisted that Atlanta was the"MOST IMPRTANT CITY IN THE SOUTH ", WHICH THAT IS NOT THE CASE .......Atlanta is very important like alot of other cities in their own right thats what the argument is about, is not to bash the city of Atlanta......it's a very nice city and it has it's good and bad just like everyplace in the world, but to say it dominates the south as a whole is absolutely crazy........It is one of the most prosperous cities in the south ........and one of the most sprawled cities and spreaded skyline views in the south......

No problem man........I understand what you are saying it was one forumer in here who insisted that Atlanta was the"MOST IMPRTANT CITY IN THE SOUTH ",  WHICH THAT IS NOT THE CASE .......Atlanta is very important like alot of other cities in their own right  thats what the argument is about, is not to bash the city of Atlanta......it's a very nice city and it has it's good and bad just like everyplace in the world, but to say it dominates the south as a whole is absolutely crazy........It is one of the most prosperous cities in the south ........and  one of the most sprawled cities and spreaded skyline views in the south......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do think that if you were to judge Atlanta's importance on a national or a international stage, and compare that to most cities in the south, that Atlanta would overall be considered more important. Of course, internationally DC would be THE most important, but Atlanta would be up there with Houston, Miami, and Dallas.

^This ia what the naysayers have been saying for the past 26 pages. The ATL sits on a level with a number of large southern metros, such as DC, Miami, Dallas & Houston. This thread has grown to 26 pages, because a few forumers believe ATL sits on a higher level of importance than these other places, which just isn't true.

^This ia what the naysayers have been saying for the past 26 pages.  The ATL sits on a level with a number of large southern metros, such as DC, Miami, Dallas & Houston.  This thread has grown to 26 pages, because a few forumers believe ATL sits on a higher level of importance than these other places, which just isn't true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, obviously nobodys mind is going to be changed. However, I will argue that Atlanta is in an elite league, along with DC, Miami, Dallas and Houston, but not anymore than that. After those cities, the national and international importance level drops considerably.

The thread asks a question, I gave my opinion.  I think this thread was made more to attack Atlanta, out of jealous spite, than to really debate whether it is the South's most important city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To add to what has already been said- this thread was actually a continuation of another one:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4716

Its topic is decieveing The last few pages are more relevant to this discussion.

Well, obviously nobodys mind is going to be changed.  However, I will argue that  Atlanta is in an elite league, along with DC, Miami, Dallas and Houston, but not anymore than that.  After those cities, the national and international importance level drops considerably.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though I live here in NC and I love Charlotte. I would have to say Atlanta is the most important city as its influence is felt everywhere. Alot of familys have people down there and the city's culture is something you cannot miss. But dont get me wrong as i agree that Charlotte is an finacial capital but Atlanta is just more famous.

My first post on this forum, and only a 3 day member, so i'll try to give an open minded reply. And sorry I couldn't go through 26 pages of reading before writing this so im sorry if I repeat

The question of this topic is just way too broad. The capital could mean biggest, highest population, most well known within the south, or most well know outside the south. But realisticly there is no "capital", and thats partly because of geography. In the previous thread, Atlanta was refered to as the NY of the south. But its just not a fair comparison. The whole northeast is connected to NYC, and spans out from it. Ouside the city are dense suburbs that go and go until they hit another city like Phily, and Boston. And everything goes through NY, people, money, politics. The South has medium sized cities with a core and dense suburbs that go for maybe 20 miles, past that maybe a couple miles of sprawl and then your in the middle of nowhere. Ive driven through charlotte to atlanta, and all the way down to new orleans, and there is nothing in between. Its not connected like it is in other parts of the country. I live in Charlotte now and read the paper everyday and watch the news but very rarely do I ever here of Atlanta. And if I lived in Atlanta im sure I would almost never here about goings on in Charlotte.

When I lived up north I never heard about things happening in Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, or New Orleans. Most we heard about the south was Miami, for vacationing, or celebs getting in trouble or Girls gone wild, lol. When someone up north thinks of the "south", they think of Charleston, Montgomery, and Birmingham only because of the history.

Sure if any one of the cities down here were gone all of the south would feel the impact, but most of the rest of the world wouldn't. As an outsider, if you ask me what the capital of the south is i'd say Charleston SC, because it a town the south was built on. Or if you wanna go the other route and say who has the most appeal/publicity, then Miami is the capital of the south.

Just thought i'd bring things to a different light :P

Well, I've been following this for some time now, and all I can say is monsoon and lakelander will never concede anything when it comes to making ATL look bad at the expense of the vaunted and far superior Charlotte. The level of arrogance/smugness/hate just astounds me.

Please delete my info/access to this forum.

Well, I've been following this for some time now, and all I can say is monsoon and lakelander will never concede anything when it comes to making ATL look bad at the expense of the vaunted and far superior Charlotte. The level of arrogance/smugness/hate just astounds me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't it just be easier to delete the bookmark?

Is Atlanta the most important city in the South? No, but it's very close. Miami still holds that title with Atlanta being very close and Charlotte in 3rd (simply due to its banking centers).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could it be that you are just not understanding what has been said? I have noticed that a good number of Atlanta forumers on other boards view any comment that isn't an over the top praise of Atlanta to automatically be a hate driven bash.

Let's try this: "Miami has prettier buildings than Atlanta". What does that mean to you? Does it mean that Atlanta's buildings are ugly? I bet any amount of money that a good portion people will consider that interpretation right at first--it is because people cannot separate 0 from 1, black from white. If it isn't the best, than it's the worst...

That style of thinking is completely irrational and is actually what leads to most misunderstandings between people. Atlanta may have absolutely gorgeous buildings, but Miami's buildings may still be prettier. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, and everyone is entitled to personal preference. You should not feel obligated to embrace someone else's preference. If everyone had the exact same preference, then this beloved diversity everyone talks about would not exist.

If someone says "Atlanta is not the most important city in the south", does this mean that Atlanta is not important? No. Anyone who arrives at that conclusion would make a lousy engineer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

???

I don't even consider Charlotte to be in the same league, as Atlanta, Miami, DC, Houston & Dallas...so what in the world are you talking about? Atlanta is a great place, its just not the most important in the South...what's so negative about that?

Whoa!!! How did the NO's get 50 votes in two days? I think the NO's had won this anyway (at least they should have IMO), but I don't think I'm imagining that the vote was much closer on Thursday. Can anybody back me up on this? I thought it was more like 50 to 40 in favor of the NOs.

This is a great example of why I hate these "versus" polls. I thought there was only 1 vote allowed per forumer. Can we do away with them?

Personally, Atlanta is the most important city (Southern or otherwise) for me. However, I could understand somebody in Texas saying NO.

Archived