Is Atlanta the most Important City in the South

thumper

Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?

• No
    • Yes

I have never said that you can not have an opinion on this. If Atlanta forumers want to think they are the center of the universe that is perfectly fine with me.

You however asked what everyone else's opinion was, and I believe you have it now. Most people not living in GA, do not consider Atlanta the Capital nor the most Important city in the South. I think this case is closed.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never said that you can not have an opinion on this.  If Atlanta forumers want to think they are the center of the universe that is perfectly fine with me. 

You however asked what everyone else's opinion was, and I believe you have it now.  Most people not living in GA, do not consider Atlanta the Capital nor the most Important city in the South.  I think this case is closed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I wasn't talking to you in the first part of that reply, only the second. It wasn;t you who was trying to say I couldn;t have an opinion. Anyways, what other city in the south is more important than atlanta? (excluding houston, dallas, and miami)

Think of it like this, do you consider Philadelphia to be the south either considering how close they are? For that matter do you consider anywhere in Penn. southern?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. Now lets fip the question around. Do you think consider Richmond to be south considering its close proximity to Charlotte or Raliegh. BTW, from looking at your map, I think we need to come up with a new name for your red region. It definately can't be considered the south, if it doesn't even include the Confederacy's most important city or the south's historical largest city, New Orleans.

Benjamin, if you narrowed the red down to Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina, I think I'd agree Atlanta was the capital of that South (but that opinion's probably flawed). But there are too many other decent-sized cities in that map, such as Memphis, Nashville, and Charlotte for Atlanta to take precedence over those cities in their own jurisdictions.

No dont think of it as atlanta being "the capital," think of it as "the most important city," and atlanta is definetly more important than memphis, nashville, new orleans, or any other city in that reason. Its simply the truth. Dont call my region the south then, call it whatever you want, but you have to agree atlanta is the most important city in that area. Come on now lets be realistic.

No dont think of it as atlanta being "the capital," think of it as "the most important city," and atlanta is definetly more important than memphis, nashville, new orleans, or any other city in that reason. Its simply the truth. Dont call my region the south then, call it whatever you want, but you have to agree atlanta is the most important city in that area. Come on now lets be realistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said earlier, if you and the other Atlanta boosters want to think the Milky Way Galaxy revolves around Atlanta, and God goes there to take a sh*t, then that is certainly your right. And I support that right. But stop with the silly attempts to get the rest of us to think this way. Even in that map above I could easily argue that people in Myrtle Beach SC, would think that Charlotte is much more important than distant Atlanta.

Personally I don't think it makes you or your city look good.

Benjamin, your new question really isn't answerable for many of us. Atlanta's only impact in my daily life is pretty much limited to my cruise past The Weather Channel whilst channel surfing (their forecasts are beneath inaccurate I might add).

I'll put it this way, in Raleigh I am more within Philadelphia's sphere of influence, and its existence doesn't stimulate my life or the 1.4 million people around me in any way. You barely even hear the name mentioned! So imagine how little exposure Atlanta gets around here. We don't even get Turner South here! The closest MLB team is in Baltimore (which is practically half the distance we are to Atlanta). I could go on and on...

Not only that, but your question is exceptionally broad. For example: In terms of banking and financial concerns, Atlanta is barely a pixel on the screen compared to Charlotte. Similarly Raleigh, a much smaller metropolitan area is significantly stronger than Atlanta in terms of biotech and medicine. I think even Nashville exceeds Atlanta's presence in that category. My words do exagerrate the scale of comparison a bit, but it is only for effect. :D

I'm sure someone will post some obscure graph or chart, present it as though they are an authority on the subject, and negate my examples above. But we all know what the truth of the matter is, so have at it!

Atlanta seems to do a lot of things with equal aplomb. But I can't really think of a single flagship Atlanta specialty--it is all there in some way, shape, or form... and that is of course a great thing. But the "south", even with your limited definition (and conveniently leaving out the region's largest cities), contains smaller cities which do outperform aspects of Atlanta in one way or another.

I will say that within the region you define (and excluding the largest metros), Atlanta is the largest metropolitan area. That is a moot point though.

Atlanta is a huge metropolitan area, I mean that sucker covers a gigantic slab of land. It is also in a pretty undeveloped state. Aside from Atlanta, Georgia is just rolling hills, beautiful countryside, a collection of small-medium sized towns, and well, thats about it. When living in Atlanta, it is easy to get used to the idea that there can only be one central point of life. I saw this from many Atlantans during my two month residence there in 1998--an "Atlanta-centric" view of the world.

Once you leave the deep south region and make your way up the east coast or maybe even down into Florida, you start to see how many cities create an ensemble effort and a somewhat continuous corridor of development. The whole idea of who is "most important" seems silly. Perhaps this is why you've encountered such resistance in this thread?

Atlanta is a huge metropolitan area, I mean that sucker covers a gigantic slab of land. It is also in a pretty undeveloped state. Aside from Atlanta, Georgia is just rolling hills, beautiful countryside, a collection of small-medium sized towns, and well, thats about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't where in the hell you got that information that GA is an undeveloped state. It is probably the most developed southern state other than Florida. If you have ever been to Columbus or Savannah, I think that you would see that these two cities are developed quite well. A state of 9 million people and you don't think that it is developed? This is one of the fastest growing states in America and will continue to be for the years to come.

I don't where in the hell you got that information that GA is an undeveloped state. It is probably the most developed southern state other than Florida.

I didn't get that information "GA is an undeveloped state"--that's a total misunderstanding on your part. Please read what is written objectively before jumping off the deep end with crazy assumptions. If something puzzles you, ask in a civil tone. And please, don't take things out of context. The statements I made about Georgia were part of an example I was attempting to make.

If you have ever been to Columbus or Savannah, I think that you would see that these two cities are developed quite well.

I'm pretty sure I covered the other smaller municipalities in GA (aside from Atlanta), you apparently missed it. And I never commented (implied or otherwise) on their development--another misread on your part. Read carefully.

A state of 9 million people and you don't think that it is developed?

I think we're zooming in on a warped version of my point. Where do over half of those people live?

This is one of the fastest growing states in America and will continue to be for the years to come.

Oh my god, that is sooo pertinent to my point. That's sarcasm, by the way.

On second thought though, since you seem to have that on your mind--if GA is growing so fast, and has the capacity to do so "for years to come", what does that say about its present state of development? :P

Don't take what I said as a slam on Georgia, as you are doing... Read what I wrote as a whole and tie it in to the comments I am responding to. Hopefully you'll see what I'm trying to say.

I can exlude anything I want because it is my personal opinion. Dont try to convince me to change my view of the south because I wont. monsoon, atleast we both agree on one thing, but the thing is that you say that people in NC will not consider Atlanta to be the most important city. Well the thing is I'm not saying that Atlanta is important to the entire south, I'm saying that no other city in "my view" of the south is more important as a whole than Atlanta. How can you possibly argue with that? Do you really think that when exluding Miami, Dallas, and Houston, there is any city in the south that even comes close in general importance to Atlanta?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You just want to exclude Miami, Dallas and Houston because you know for a fact that they are paramount cities when compared to Atlanta.

This is getting so angel love stupid because you stupid assholes are turning this into more than it actually is. I think this is going to be my last post in this website. I asked a simple question that any sensible human being would know the answer to, and monsoon is still a stupid prick. Whoever said that to be "the most important city in the south" your importance has to stretch to every single corner of that region? All i said was that it is the most general important city in the south! I never said that for people living in charlotte, atlanta would be more important to them than charlotte! WTF? Then monsoon goes off on some crap about Atlanta being the center of the universe, where the hell are you pulling this crap out of?!?! The very fact that you cant admit that Atlanta is the most important city in the region I outline proves that your either 1. A moron, which is somewhat likely, or 2. being irratinal. I never said anything about Atlanta beating out every city in every aspect lol! Feel free to ban me you stupid prick!

This is getting so angel love stupid because you stupid assholes are turning this into more than it actually is. I think this is going to be my last post in this website. I asked a simple question that any sensible human being would know the answer to, and monsoon is still a stupid prick. Whoever said that to be "the most important city in the south" your importance has to stretch to every single corner of that region? All i said was that it is the most general important city in the south! I never said that for people living in charlotte, atlanta would be more important to them than charlotte! WTF? Then monsoon goes off on some crap about Atlanta being the center of the universe, where the hell are you pulling this crap out of?!?! The very fact that you cant admit that Atlanta is the most important city in the region I outline proves that your either 1. A moron, which is somewhat likely, or 2. being irratinal. I never said anything about Atlanta beating out every city in every aspect lol! Feel free to ban me you stupid prick!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well that was intelligent and well thought out.

Whoever said that to be "the most important city in the south" your importance has to stretch to every single corner of that region? .... 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you did. Just a few posts back.... :rofl:

No dont think of it as atlanta being "the capital," think of it as "the most important city," and atlanta is definetly more important than memphis, nashville, new orleans, or any other city ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Name calling is pretty dull. I don't care if you call me names or whatever else comes to your mind. It only goes to prove you don't have any facts to back up your assertions about Atlanta being the most important city in the South. When you do, get back to us.

In the mean time, I will say it again, Atlanta is not the Capital nor is it the most important city in the South.

Then what city is the most important city in the South monsoon? LA is the most important for the West. Chicago is the most important for the MidWest, and NYC is the most important for the NE. So what is the most important city for the south? Personally, I think that Atlanta is the most important city. It has more economic pull than any other city I believe. The only other city that might have the same pull is Houston, thats it!

Then what city is the most important city in the South monsoon? LA is the most important for the West. Chicago is the most important for the MidWest, and NYC is the most important for the NE. So what is the most important city for the south? Personally, I think that Atlanta is the most important city. It has more economic pull than any other city I believe. The only other city that might have the same pull is Houston, thats it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! Atlanta is certainly no LA or NYC, not even a Chicago. Do Atlanta forumers really think they are on par with these places? I certainly don't. Get back to me when it really is a NYC.

LOL!  Atlanta is certainly no LA or NYC, not even a Chicago.  Do Atlanta forumers really think they are on par with these places?  I certainly don't.      Get back to me when it really is a NYC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read the question! Does it say anything about Atlanta being on par with these cities? The question was directed to you, and you were suppose to tell me what the most important city in the south is. Every region has an important city just like I explained in my last post. So read it again and then respond with an answer that actually has something to do with the question! :thumbsup:

Uh actually it just proves that i was in a crappy mood and I was sick of you avoiding truthfully answering simple questions by simply say atlanta forumers think atlanta is the greatest city in the world. And uh, theres a difference between me saying that atlanta is more important than memphis, nashville, new orleans, and all those citys and me saying that atlanta's importance stretches to every corner of the south. Just because Atlanta isn;t on par with LA, Chicago, and NYC doesn't mean that its not the most important city nin the south. If there was a city like LA in the south, then it would be the most important. But considering there isn't, Atlanta is the most important. I said Atlanta is the most important city and uyou said its not because people in myrtle beach wouldn;t think it was important them more than charlotte. Thats like saying that LA isn;t the most important city in the west because Seattle would be more important to people living in Tacoma than LA.

Read the question! Does it say anything about Atlanta being on par with these cities? The question was directed to you, and you were suppose to tell me what the most important city in the south is. Every region has an important city just like I explained in my last post. So read it again and then respond with an answer that actually has something to do with the question!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My answer had everything to do with the question as you insist there must be "most important" city because cities such as NYC, Chicago and LA are considered as such because of the dominance they have of their regions. That presumption is incorrect simply because Atanta is not a NYC, LA or even Chicago. It has already been demonstrated many times in this thread there is no "most important" city in the South because we have no NYC's located here.

Atlanta is a 450K city, ringed by endless chain store suburbs sprawling with little control or coherance. The metro is defined by USA census commuting patterns and has nothing with it being a city that could be considered the "most important" of anything except to the state of GA.

Nice try, but no one is buying the "what city beside's Atlanta is the most important" ruse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its already been proven that the South is a region with no dominent city in the same leagues as NYC, LA and Chicago. No city in the south comes close. However, since DC is the Nation's Capitol, I'd say it has more influence than Atlanta, Houston, Miami & Dallas.

Archived