Is Atlanta the most Important City in the South

thumper

Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa!!!  How did the NO's get 50 votes in two days?  I think the NO's had won this anyway (at least they should have IMO), but I don't think I'm imagining that the vote was much closer on Thursday.  Can anybody back me up on this?  I thought it was more like 50 to 40 in favor of the NOs. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is indeed 1 vote/forumer. UrbanPlanet has been getting very busy these days. We added 100 new members in the last 6 days. Most of them are posting in the Southern forums.

We welcome all new forumers regardless if they are from Atlanta or not.

I (kind of)agree with I-275 because ive visited Housted and its really good,theres a lot of development(i think,they were building a highway by I-10 when i went).And the buildings are tall.I havnt visited Atlanta but by pictures it looks nice,also tall.And Miami is my hometown,the best !!!(in my opinion).

But,I would put Houston in equal level as Miami,then Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...

"Atlanta Capital of the South"? Please. Atlanta has many of the features of great city :wub: but, the only things Atlanta is the "capital" of are the State of Georgia and it's own inflated ego.

IMHO, anyone who thinks Atlanta is the "Capital of the South" watches too many hours of the thinly-disguised Atlanta Chamber of Commerce's media outlets ("CNN" and "The Weather Channel").

Did you guys get the memo? Being "southern" is bad. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah we got that memo a while back, but the new memo is it's the thing to be southern now. Half of the rap music out now is from southern artists and so many people want to be called "country" and have a southern accent. It's our turn now!

...IMHO, anyone who thinks Atlanta is the "Capital of the South" watches too many hours of the thinly-disguised Atlanta Chamber of Commerce's media outlets ("CNN" and "The Weather Channel").

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with this. Atlanta is almost another world in comparison to the rest of the South. The Weather Channel, if they truly did their job, wouldn't be talking about Atlanta weather all the time! They would spend equal time talking about other Southern cities and other cities and states in the country. I've always said that Atlanta is the "New York of the South", but that wouldn't make it the capital.

My pick for "Capital of the South" is Charlotte. It is a big city nearing the type of population and importance as Atlanta, but many people in Charlotte take pride in their "Southerness", ie. NASCAR, football (NFL and college). Those are just a couple of examples. People in Charlotte definitely didn't get the old memo about being "Southern" is bad. :thumbsup:

For most people, the most important city in the South is the southern city that they live in.

For people living in Macon GA, what goes on there is much more important than what goes on in Atlanta GA.

^^^

I definitley have to agree with you sleepy. The only people that consider Atlanta the capitol of the south are the people that LIVE IN ATLANTA......yea Atlanta has a lot of good things to offer, but so does every other dang city in the south!!

From reading this looong thread it appears that of all cities in the region (the southeast) the ones that envy Atlanta's status more than any other is Charlotteans. :thumbsup:

Going back to the original idea of the thread, if there are important cities then its logical to say that there is one that is important above the rest. This does not mean the place where you go to buy jeans or whether or not you wake up in the middle of the night and thank god for a certain city.

Now if you want to call the south, everything from DC to LA, fine there are larger "more important" cities than Atlanta but thats not realistic. The south meaning the southeast is always thought of as being from Va to La (I know....La & Ark are more connected to Tx but you have to draw the boundary somewhere and thats the traditional one) Tx is ALWAYS referred to as being southwest or southcentral.

Now if we're talking about economics/business then Atlanta is unquestionably the "most important"city in the southeast. Atlanta doesn't have the 8th largest office market in the country and over half of Fortune 500 companies with a local presence just to serve the state of GA. And most of those companys have REGIONAL offices in Atlanta meaning it is that business' REGIONAL HQ for the entire REGION.

If we're talking about "most important" in terms of population, or tourism, or culture or something else it may be somewhere else but as far as business is concerned its not even debateable. No other city is even close.

Now if you want to call the south, everything from DC to LA, fine there are larger "more important" cities than Atlanta but thats not realistic.  The south meaning the southeast is always thought of as being from Va to La (I know....La & Ark are more connected to Tx but you have to draw the boundary somewhere and thats the traditional one)  Tx is ALWAYS referred to as being southwest or southcentral.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes Atlanta is the main city of a smaller southern region when you chose to not include southern areas with more important economical centers. From my knowledge and according to all of the US history books...DC and Houston have always been recognized as Southern cities. Considering Texas was a part of Confederacy, its just as much a Southern State as Georgia is. Whether or not a couple of forumers here agree with that doesn't really matter. Why cherry pick cities and states. The region is what it is. So no, the ATL is not the most important city in the South.

From reading this looong thread it appears that of all cities in the region (the southeast) the ones that envy Atlanta's status more than any other is Charlotteans. :thumbsup:

I find that conclusion highly unlikely. I know adult Charlotteans and I've been contributing to these forums for quite a while now--envy of Atlanta's "status" is not something you'll find. :P

To be fair, I can see how cities would like to emulate some of Atlanta's success stories (and vice versa of course), but Atlanta is just not a big deal outside of Georgia. It isn't a bad city by any means, but the region doesn't revolve around it like traffic on I-285.

However, I believe it is conceivable that such a conclusion is the product of highly image-conscious but insecure Atlanta civil-boosters who desperately need a way to explain why outsiders would dare suggest they are not the most important city in the south. :lol:

Going back to the original idea of the thread, if there are important cities then its logical to say that there is one that is important above the rest.  This does not mean the place where you go to buy jeans or whether or not you wake up in the middle of the night and thank god for a certain city. 
We have revisited this over and over again, but that bit of reasoning just doesn't hold up for people living outside of Georgia. I don't see how my life and most around me would be much different if Atlanta ceased to exist right now. I don't watch CNN and the Weather Channel is unreliable. Knock out several large cities in the region and yes, I believe I would start to feel the effects.

Okay, I do like crunk rap and I guess without Atlanta I would miss out on some good music.

Some of the discussions have gotten rather heated in this thread, which is silly... but it all comes from the fact that some people can't see the world through someone else's eyes.

If we're talking about "most important" in terms of population, or tourism, or culture or something else it may be somewhere else but as far as business is oncerned its not even debateable.  No other city is even close.

As this thread clearly illustrates, it is very debatable.

Atlanta is not the capital of the south however it is one of the big three- i think Houston, Atlanta, and D.C.- i exclude miami because it seems to be more residential than anything no offense i just dont see it having a large buisness presence but still a cool city, and charlotte still has a long way to go before they are a major player in the U.S. but its still one of my favorite cities-

However, I believe it is conceivable that such a conclusion is the product of highly image-conscious but insecure Atlanta civil-boosters who desperately need a way to explain why outsiders would dare suggest they are not the most important city in the south. :lol:

Actually the business community has dared to suggest this as well. A quote form recent Brookings Institute Study

"... San Francisco, Atlanta, and Washington round out this third tier, due by and large to their roles as Western Gateway/Financial Center, Media Center and unchallenged "capital" of the large and fast growing South, and nations capital, respectively..."

We have revisited this over and over again, but that bit of reasoning just doesn't hold up for people living outside of Georgia. I don't see how my life and most around me would be much different if Atlanta ceased to exist right now. I don't watch CNN and the Weather Channel is unreliable.

Somehow you missed this part "over half of Fortune 500 companies" and went straight to CNN.

As this thread clearly illustrates, it is very debatable.

I've seen it debated where people go for "big city needs", how much they think about Atlanta where they live, and how Atlanta has sprawl. I have not seen "Atlanta is the most important business center in the southeast" debated at all because there is no contest.

Somehow you missed this part "over half of Fortune 500 companies" and went straight to CNN.
The Fortune 500 list is nothing more than a CoC marketing tool, and it doesn't impress me. There is no substance in such a comparison. Not only that, but we're talking about something that's produced by a magazine, albeit based on empirical data.

And speaking of which--the actual handful (relatively speaking) of Fortune 500 companies that are headquartered in Atlanta do not employ the city entirely and they are not the primary reason so many people move to Atlanta everyday.

Tell me your region is home to the company or lab that invented the insulin pump, or developed the basics for the modern Graphical User Interface, and then we're talking real importance. That is my opinion of course, and no one has to agree with me.

Until then we're just throwing obese bulk around trying to get attention. :lol: I'm not picking on you of course, I'm making a general statement regarding what is really just cheap talk. Let local CoCs do it, we're above such things here... I think. ;)

I have not seen "Atlanta is the most important business center in the southeast" debated at all because there is no contest.

Perhaps you should design a poll and post it. Make sure you word the content very clearly or it will be another 20+ page debacle.

The Fortune 500 list is nothing more than a CoC marketing tool, and it doesn't impress me. There is no substance in such a comparison. Not only that, but we're talking about something that's produced by a magazine, albeit based on empirical data.

The substance of the comparison is the very real economic benefit of having so many companies operating in the area and the rankings of metro economic output bear that out. Lucky for me, my intent was not to impress you but merely to state a FACT.

And speaking of which--the actual handful (relatively speaking) of Fortune 500 companies that are headquartered in Atlanta do not employ the city entirely and they are not the primary reason so many people move to Atlanta everyday.

That "handful" that is headquarted locally is actually 3rd behind only NY and Houston. The sheer number of REGIONAL HQ is however is a very important economic benefit as well.

Until then we're just throwing obese bulk around trying to get attention.  I'm not picking on you of course, I'm making a general statement regarding what is really just cheap talk. Let local CoCs do it, we're above such things here... I think.

The CoC's may make such a statement because its a fact that the city can be proud. And one that just so happens to be relevant to this discussion. Why is it that people in Charlotte can be proud of their city but Atlantans cannot?

I have not seen "Atlanta is the most important business center in the southeast" debated at all because there is no contest.

Perhaps you should design a poll and post it. Make sure you word the content very clearly or it will be another 20+ page debacle.

I made the point that in terms of business Atlanta IS the most important city in the south and said it was not debatable. You then stated that this thread shows that its clearly debateable. Im just responding that in fact my point has not been debated at all.

That "handful" that is headquarted locally is actually 3rd behind only NY and Houston

I made the point that in terms of business Atlanta IS the most important city in the south and said it was not debatable. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you know houston is in the south right? the one you just said as a fact was in front of atlanta?

That "handful" that is headquarted locally is actually 3rd behind only NY and Houston.  The sheer number of REGIONAL HQ is however is a very important economic benefit as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you provide a link to a credible source? For some reason I believe, at least metros of LA, San Franisco and Chicago may have more locally based Fortune 500 companies than metro Atlanta.

Archived