First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

The Mecklenburg Times sez:

Prominent Charlotte developer, property-owner and visionary Daniel Levine said Thursday that his dream project — transforming this largely empty quadrant of uptown Charlotte into an “urban village” — will begin construction by May.

There was also some token explanation of the delay. FWIW.

http://mecktimes.com/news/2013/03/28/daniel-levines-first-ward-urban-village-project-to-kick-off-in-may/?utm_source=WhatCounts+Publicaster+Edition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Managing+to+make+a+profit%3a+Real+estate+firms+add+property+management&utm_content=Daniel+Levine%27s+First+Ward+%27Urban+Village%27+project+to+kick+off+in+May

^ According to the article:   "Phase 1 would comprise an $11 million county park, road work paid for almost entirely by the city, two parking decks with a total of more than 1,700 spaces and 200 apartments, 50 of which would be more affordable workforce housing."

I'm thrilled to see movement on the Park as that along with the BLE will make the area more attractive for offices.  I know it's Levine's land, but he'll actually will be better able to sell build projects this way.

Frankly between Romare Bearden Park/Stadium and First Ward Park/UNCC these two opposite corners of the Center City are going from lifeless to life in dramatic fashion... if Levine actually moves dirt this time.

Don't you have to develop stuff to be considered a "prominent developer"? :whistling:

I'd actually say he's a very accomplished developer. He has developed our hopes and dreams for years, only to constantly disappoint and crush them all.

You know, Levine has donated millions of dollars to a variety of projects in Charlotte; from the school system to the community college to the Arts Campus on South Tryon. He's also responsible for the Levine Museum of the New South and probably has many other noteworthy accomplishments, not the least of which include being involved with one of the Fortune 500 companies here in Meck Co. Some of you on here act like he's the most terrible person to ever live in Charlotte because he hasn't developed land HE owns according to your timeline. I personally think it's time for a reality check.

You know, Levine has donated millions of dollars to a variety of projects in Charlotte; from the school system to the community college to the Arts Campus on South Tryon. He's also responsible for the Levine Museum of the New South and probably has many other noteworthy accomplishments, not the least of which include being involved with one of the Fortune 500 companies here in Meck Co. Some of you on here act like he's the most terrible person to ever live in Charlotte because he hasn't developed land HE owns according to your timeline. I personally think it's time for a reality check.

I think we'd all be more careful to watch what we say if we were talking to people in general. But we all know his contributions to society and talking as urban enthusiast; specifically uptown.

We know his merits, just talking amongst ourselves. At least that's how I take it.

I think we'd all be more careful to watch what we say if we were talking to people in general. But we all know his contributions to society and talking as urban enthusiast; specifically uptown.

We know his merits, just talking amongst ourselves. At least that's how I take it.

Ok, I can appreciate that. That's probably why I've never said anything before. But seriously, this guy is only guilty of not living up to expectations for developing his uptown land. I realize he has created those expectations by what he has said publically, but if he doesn't feel things have worked out to proceed, then that's really up to him. He is a businessman first and it's only rational he wants to make money. Whether his decisions have been correct or not, I think some people are kidding themselves if they think he has some ulterior motive.

^That is an entirely different Levine

Howard Levine: Philanthropist and CEO: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/21/2395861/howard-levine-a-family-man.html

Howard's father is Leon, the primary philanthropist in the Levine family (he was the donor to nearly all of the downtown projects which bear the family name. http://www.leonlevinefoundation.org/ I do believe that Leon has some ownership interest in the First Ward land we are discussing.

Daniel Levine is the Owner of Secured Parking and "prominant" developer, this is the guy we have been complaining about in this thread.  Daniel is Leon's nephew: http://plancharlotte.org/story/daniel-levine-interview-first-ward-plan-charlotte?utm_source=Updates+From+UNC+Charlotte+Urban+Institute&utm_campaign=ed7dc76592-Website_Updates7.28.11&utm_medium=email  

Daniel had access to a large portion of his father's fortune (he was the former owner of Pic n Pay) and (as best I can tell) has merely used it to create a contracting and development firm which has specialized in office parks and stripmalls. The interview linked above shows him discussing his love of the city and his desire to create something "perfect" in First Ward. IMO its fair to criticize him for his inaction in First Ward since he continues to sing the praises of 'his' potential development, yet he has done nothing but sit on his hands. In addition, his dithering has forced the city to tie up substantial resources (allocated for the park) which could be put to use elsewhere if Daniel Levine were more forthcoming about his intentions.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

What's the latest on the First Ward Urban Village? Here is all I can find on the project on the net and it comes from Center City Partners.

Plans continue to evolve for the redevelopment of 20+ acres of underutilized land in the First Ward. Levine Properties and Cousins Properties continue master planning efforts for a development that may ultimately include:

• An eight-acre park
  • A 1,500 space underground parking deck
  • Cultural Facilities
  • Office Space
  • Retail Space
  • Condominiums and apartments
Proximity to the new Children's Learning Center and the new arena have altered the scope of the project and may ultimately speed up the construction timeline significantly.

first_ward_urban_village.jpg

... the neverending thread

• Like 1

... the neverending thread

Proximity to the new Children's Learning Center and the new arena have altered the scope of the project and may ultimately speed up the construction timeline significantly.

:rofl:

^ I was bout to post something similar last night haha. "The project that has and will continue to bridge generations of UPers"

Guess there were more setbacks? Wasn't this thing supposed to have moved forward to a set groundbreaking by now.

haha yes

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/20/4052592/dixies-tavern-closes-making-way.html

I am really frustrated with Daniel Levine.  If this business was willing to re-up, there is no reason that it does not cater to families during the day other than if those families do not like the food they offer.   But maybe it was mutual decision and BMG is seeing a decline (I haven't been myself in years after some bad memories in there a long time ago).   So if a new place can get a renovation in conjunction with the completion of the park, and have more of a café use, I think it will be a net positive.   I am simply concerned that like all his other old buildings, that he is just looking for a way to get rid of the building.  

It is good news that it is implying that construction would start, but as with all things Levine, I will believe only when I see it.