Greenville Transit

jarvismj

If you REALLY want to see some waste, then insist that the money be spent as soon as possible. You know, no bid contracts, incomplete background checks, unfinished design work.

Government doesn't turn on a dime, and never will because of the regulation and transparency laws, etc. What is your source for the pre-election comment. I'm guessing Fox News or some other partisan news source.

If you REALLY want to see some waste, then insist that the money be spent as soon as possible. You know, no bid contracts, incomplete background checks, unfinished design work.

Government doesn't turn on a dime, and never will because of the regulation and transparency laws, etc. What is your source for the pre-election comment. I'm guessing Fox News or some other partisan news source.

No, that would be the other extreme. To spend money with no planning would be definitely be wasteful, I agree.

It is factual that the release of funds is very limited at this time and will balloon just before elections. Look that up at any news source and do some fact checking on government websites. If we are in an economic crisis now, and it is to truely stimulate the economy, then it should be planned and spent within a reasonable time.

You didn't mention anything about the fact congress and senate neither one fully read the stimulus. That is OK with you? Don't you expect more of your elected officials? Doesn't matter what party affiliation, this isn't partisan, it is simply holding government accountable.

Again, back to the topic, great to see the funds being spent on the system to extend to Mauldin and Simpsonville. These are the middle class citizens that pay the tax dollars to keep the system running. Good to see them get the chance to use the system. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

-Greenlink in conjunction with CU-ICAR, City of Greenville, Greenville County, and GPATS has applied for a TIGER (Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery) grant to start bus rapid transit service from downtown Greenville to ICAR. The grant is worth $99 million and must be spent within two years if awarded to Greenlink. You can read more about the TIGER grant program here: http://www.grantsinfocenter.com/content/do...s-program-rules

-Greenlink has also applied for a TIGGER (Transit Investment for Greenhouse Gases Energy Reduction) grant. If awarded, four hybrid buses and two hybrid maintence vehicles will be purchased with this money.

-A partnership with St. Francis and Greenville Technical College is being worked out to increase bus service to their campuses.

-More new bus stops are starting to go up. Beginning at the end of September, riders will no longer be able to get on or off the buses between stops. This is to increase time reliability of buses.

-Greenville County approved the budget for the 2010/2011 fiscal year to increase funding for Greenlink to match what the City of Greenville is giving.

-In June, the SCDOT approved funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to begin bus service to the Mauldin/Simpsonville area. Funding is for vehicles and bus shelters. Service could begin in October 2010. $6.245 million total awarded to Greenlink from ARRA: One hybrid bus, 11 regular transit buses, 11 shelters, signage, and 15 vehicles in total.

Edited by citylife

You might find the next two links very interesting. They're basically preliminary studies: http://www.clemson.edu/t3s/workshop/mpocog...tions/Strub.pdf and http://www.greenvillecounty.org/gcpc/trans...ng_exhibits.pdf

I didn't even know Pickens County was asked to join Greenville in trying to get TIGER grant money. After reading the article, I can't say i'm suprised they rejected it: [url="http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090916/NEWS/909160340/1004/NEWS01/Pickens-rejects-plan-for-

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. I'm a new Greenvillian (Greenvillite?), very interested the city's development (past, present and future). Does anybody know if there are plans to run a bus line up to Furman University? If so, from where will it run?

There are plans to run it through Travelers Rest and the Furman University area. I'm not sure where exactly though. When that happens depends on if Greenville lands the Tiger grant or not for a bus rapid transit line and how much other funding they're able to get from the federal government and other resources. Mauldin/Simpsonville service is scheduled to start late next year.

Edited by citylife

Hi folks. I'm a new Greenvillian (Greenvillite?), very interested the city's development (past, present and future). Does anybody know if there are plans to run a bus line up to Furman University? If so, from where will it run?

There used to be one (at least in the early 1990s); it went up Poinsett Highway and stopped near the Furman library. Surprisingly, not many students used it. Most customers seemed to use it along Poinsett Highway but got off before Furman.

With better marketing and the nicer buses, plus Cherrydale now, it should do more business towards Furman.

Edited by mallguy

There used to be one (at least in the early 1990s); it went up Poinsett Highway and stopped near the Furman library. Surprisingly, not many students used it. Most customers seemed to use it along Poinsett Highway but got off before Furman.

With better marketing and the nicer buses, plus Cherrydale now, it should do more business towards Furman.

Is parking expensive at Furman, or do they restrict car ownership for students living on campus?

In my observation, these are the two main factors that drive transit use at universities. If either or both of the above conditions hold true, then a bus line will do well, as long as the service doesn't suck. If not, then it will likely see only limited success.

Thanks for sharing! It's an interesting read. I hope this happens! Their plans sound pretty bold. :)

Yeah, the full application should be posted on the DOT's website sometime this upcoming week. Unfortunately 1,380 TIGER grant applications were sent in that are worth $56.5 billion in total. Only $1.5 billion will be given away in all, so the chances of Greenville getting anything are slim to none: http://www.dot.gov/recovery/docs/tdgappoverview.pdf I think Greenville though has a very good application and job/economic development potential with their plan thanks to the proposed bus manufacturing plant, CU-ICAR, Millennium Campus, Verdae, etc.

Is parking expensive at Furman, or do they restrict car ownership for students living on campus?

In my observation, these are the two main factors that drive transit use at universities. If either or both of the above conditions hold true, then a bus line will do well, as long as the service doesn't suck. If not, then it will likely see only limited success.

I don't think parking is necessarily prohibitively expensive or limited at Furman. I'm just hopeful that University students, faculty and staff might be more aware of the benefits of public transportation and actually make use of it if it were available. The car culture in the South isn't sustainable. A route between Furman and downtown has a potentially large enough and diverse enough customer base that it could help elevate the bus system above what I perceive is a system mostly for poor folks.

Here is the full information regarding the bus rapid transit route: http://www.ridegreenlink.com/tiger/ WOW. :shok: I have the full grant application document which isn't shown on Greenlink's website. It is VERY impressive.

Support from:

U.S Senator Jim DeMint

U.S. Rep. Bob Inglis

South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT)

South Carolina Department of Commerce

Center for Transportation and the Environment (CTE) to Secretary Ray LaHood

Appalachian Council of Governments

Bob Jones University

Center for Transportation and the Environment (CTE)

City of Clemson

City of Easley

City of Greenville

City of Greer

City of Mauldin

City of Simpsonville

City of Travelers Rest

Clemson Area Transit

Clemson University

Clemson University International Center of Automotive Research (CU-ICAR)

Furman University

Goodwill Industries of Upstate-Midlands South Carolina

Greenville Area Development Corporation

Greenville Chamber of Commerce

Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau

Greenville County

Greenville County Recreation District

Greenville Hospital System

Greenville Pickens Area Transportation Study (GPATS)

Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport

Greenville Technical College

Hyperion Partners

Pickens County

Proterra

South Carolina Technology and Aviation Center

South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC)

South Carolina Research Authority

St. Francis Health System

United Way of Greenville County

Upstate Forever

Urban League

Verdae Development

Edited by citylife

Transit related, but possibly off topic:

Apparently there is a toll road near Greenville that is on the verge on going bankrupt. http://www.nyfiscalwatch.com/?p=1983 I've only been in the area for 2 months, but the fact that I didn't even know it existed seems like evidence that the road was not built in the right place. What went wrong here?

Transit related, but possibly off topic:

Apparently there is a toll road near Greenville that is on the verge on going bankrupt. http://www.nyfiscalwatch.com/?p=1983 I've only been in the area for 2 months, but the fact that I didn't even know it existed seems like evidence that the road was not built in the right place. What went wrong here?

Not suprising. This road has been on the verge of bankruptcy for years now. What went wrong? Everything. It was a road before its time and was built in the wrong part of the county. It was built for economic development instead of a by-pass. The economic development never happened. Also, the tolls they charge are too expensive and it's not any quicker than taking I-85/I-385 instead. There's a good story about it in the newest issue of the Greenville Journal.

Not suprising. This road has been on the verge of bankruptcy for years now. What went wrong? Everything. It was a road before its time and was built in the wrong part of the county. It was built for economic development instead of a by-pass. The economic development never happened. Also, the tolls they charge are too expensive and it's not any quicker than taking I-85/I-385 instead. There's a good story about it in the newest issue of the Greenville Journal.

It is quicker. It takes about 12 minutes to go from one end to the other. There is no way you can cover the stretch of I-385 from the Southern Connector to I-85, plus approximately 10 miles of I-85 to where it hits the Southern Connector, in that span.

I'm not saying that the difference is dramatic, but it is definitely quicker - especially during rush hour. The problem is that there is not enough demand to get from one end of the Connector to the other to justify the road - yet. Eventually, development will occur there and we will be glad we have it. As you said, it was ahead of its time.

Ok, so it might be a little quicker on the Southern Connector but it's still not $2 worth in my opinion. The only good news is that this road is already built and probably will be needed in the far future. The SCDOT actually got something built before it was needed instead of waiting until it was too late. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The Southern Connector is about a 15 mile trip versus 16 miles on 385/85. The only reason it's faster is there are no other cars on the road. It's usually not worth $2 to me to save a couple minutes.

And starting November 1st it will be 2.50.....1.25 at the major toll booths on either end.

Stay tuned to this link for masterplan updates: http://www.ridegreenlink.com/MasterPlan/ta...77/Default.aspx

I'll let you guys decide whether you like the upcoming renovations for the transit center or not: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_governmen...McBeeStreet.pdf

The U.S. Department of Transportation received $57 billion in TIGER grant requests but will award $1.5 billion. Evilia said federal officials seem to be favoring different sorts of projects than the I-35 widening.

“The word I’m getting out of Washington is they’re looking for projects that have a real big bang as far as reducing greenhouse gas emissions.”

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/...acOVERPASS.html It's not like our project is green that would create jobs or anything. :whistling:

Edited by citylife