IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

So the sale agreement with the state mandates the Westin to have the new rooms open at a certain time. Is it July this year?

They are working on that building continually. I was just looking out my window (at 10:13pm on a holiday) and some big piece of steel was being lowered onto the top by the crane.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumors are running rampant as to who is buying condos downtown and about certain contruction projects. Has Gov Arnold Schwarzenegger bought two Westin condos for his daughters starting at Brown next fall?

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/co...LM1.7a7d36.html

interesting quote from the column:

If I could make just one single switch downtown, I would move lively Brasserie Bravo from Empire and Washington to Westminster and Mathewson

I believe L'Epicureo has a 5 year agreement to be in the hotel, and they are entering the 3rd year of that agreement now, so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

OMG, I really think that was Dave B's best column EVER...

I agree.

you gotta say it right... daughternator.

:lol: I can see it now. Arnold sightings all over College & Federal Hill. Hey, maybe if he does come here he'll tell his Hollywood Movie buddies about our great little town and film something here. I can see it now:Terminator 4, the rise of the polictical machine.

A lot of celebrities have kids at Brown and RISD and there are a lot of celebrities in general here. Providence is definately on the Hollywood radar screen, and our new tax structure for films and an expanding support industry should draw more investment here.

an updated view...

WestinII12607.jpg

What really struck me the last time i was at the Francis and Memorial intersection about a week ago was, while waiting at the light to turn right onto the highway, I sort of just glanced around at eye level and, aside from a few crane trucks, that intersection is pretty much complete now. The fascade on the "short" Westin is all done and blends in seamlessly with the old tower. It's like someone said a little while back, in that I can hardly even picture the old park that was once there. The new development is so much more complimentary.

did anyone chronicle the moving of the trees that where there over to the Dept of Admin grounds? I actually was there, but i didn't take any pics. I'd like to make a little pdf that i can give to developers who try their song and dance about how they can't save the tree blah blah blah...

did anyone chronicle the moving of the trees that where there over to the Dept of Admin grounds? I actually was there, but i didn't take any pics. I'd like to make a little pdf that i can give to developers who try their song and dance about how they can't save the tree blah blah blah...

I was watching tv late one night and I saw a special about a big tree mover link.

oops was that the wrong link? :ph34r:

Sorry JCS, I couldn't resist putting that link up since, ironically, that was the first link that showed up in my search a for cool tree spade which, I think, is owned by these people real link. These guys do some cool stuff, check out some of their projects. Its good to see that that even though it is quite expensive, some developers understand the value of mature trees and are willing to pay big bucks to move them.

Archived