IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

If I remember from the last time I walked around in there, I think you're right (not sure though).

Me three, lol. I remember standing at the window outside the 2nd floor sales office way back in the beginning when they had just started pouring concrete and this was the elevator core for the hotel portion of the addition.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me three, lol. I remember standing at the window outside the 2nd floor sales office way back in the beginning when they had just started pouring concrete and this was the elevator core for the hotel portion of the addition.

There are elevators in the existing building right there, so it makes sense to put the new ones in the same place.

I have to wonder about that blank brick wall on the back of the midrise building. It looks like there are windows to the right of that, in the light well. I have no idea what the floorplan looks like in that part of the building, but I would think it would be more atractive, inside and out, to locate the windows on the more exposed portion of the building.

That's probably done on purpose to provide hotel guests some privacy. If there were window in that blank section one could probably look into the hotel rooms, which are in the lower section of the building.

Once the lighting scheme is in place, that might change.

i don't know... the reason the superman building isn't as visible as one financial plaza is because it's not as bright. if the lighting of westin II is going to be similar to westin I, then i imagine it might be too dim.

i don't know... the reason the superman building isn't as visible as one financial plaza is because it's not as bright. if the lighting of westin II is going to be similar to westin I, then i imagine it might be too dim.

Actually, the Superman building is not as visible because from where you are, you are seeing the big three from its side, not at the front. I'll bet any lighting scheme of Westin II would look pretty nice.

Actually, the Superman building is not as visible because from where you are, you are seeing the big three from its side, not at the front. I'll bet any lighting scheme of Westin II would look pretty nice.

i've never had a problem seeing the superman building except that the lights are dim (for example, their christmas lighting scheme made it more difficult to see than the traditional blue they use because of how the other colors aren't as bright as the blue). you see it from the side, but at a bit of an angle so that the superman is not hidden by the other one.

Dumb question for someone not from Providence... Which building is the Superman building?

The art deco one with the lantern at the top. It is currently the tallest in the state.

And why is it called that?

:ph34r:

Dumb question for someone not from Providence... Which building is the Superman building? And why is it called that?

thanks to a google image search for "superman building" the top hit... thanks to some guy called woneffe. :P

06-superman-2005-0415.jpg

it's called that because it supposedly looks like the daily planet building from the superman tv series i think. i've also heard to it referred to as the ghostbusters building because it looks like the building at the end of ghostbusters. the official name is the industrial trust building.

...i've also heard to it referred to as the ghostbusters building because it looks like the building at the end of ghostbusters.

As someone who spent much of medical school looking out across Central Park at the actual "Ghostbusters Building" (55 Central Park West) we should squash any reference of that to our own BOA building. Beyond the fact they are both Art Deco style, they share almost nothing in common.

55 Central Park West is actually a squat little building (they made it look tall by the magic of special effects in the movie) and it looks nothing like our BOA building in real life. Here it is from an image off the web:

shandor1.jpg

I think ours is actually far more handsome and majestic.

- Garris

thanks to a google image search for "superman building" the top hit... thanks to some guy called woneffe. :P

06-superman-2005-0415.jpg

it's called that because it supposedly looks like the daily planet building from the superman tv series i think. i've also heard to it referred to as the ghostbusters building because it looks like the building at the end of ghostbusters. the official name is the industrial trust building.

ACTUALLY IT WAS THE INDUSTRIAL NATIONAL TRUST BUILDING.

No, it's not a dumb question at all. Thing is, this is Rhode Island, where we have at least 3 names for everything. :silly:

I have also heard this called the Fleet [bank] Building, since that was the modern name for the Industrial National Bank. Of course, Fleet is now Bank of America and I believe they've mostly moved out of this builidng - but I could be wrong.

wasn't it also "RI Hospital Trust" tower building?

Hospital Trust was the name of the One Financial Plaza, the white 1970s tower. It's actually connected to the old Hospital Trust building, now RISD dorms and library.

Industrial National, the bank associated with the Superman Bldg, was called INBank (pronounced inn-bank) in the 70s, 80s before they changed their name to Fleet.

Hospital Trust was the name of the One Financial Plaza, the white 1970s tower. It's actually connected to the old Hospital Trust building, now RISD dorms and library.

Industrial National, the bank associated with the Superman Bldg, was called INBank (pronounced inn-bank) in the 70s, 80s before they changed their name to Fleet.

When Fleet bought out BankBoston (which had already taken over Hospital Trust Bank ) there was a cute cartoon in the Journal. These two buildings were "dressed" as bride and groom. ... wish I could find a copy of that!

Archived