IN PROGRESS: The Residences at The Westin

I was at an event at the Westin this evening and I have to say that the construction crew really are busy little beavers even this late into the evening. Although the many many glasses of Red wine that I partook of make it seem a lot later than it really is.

Also, as you walk down Dorrance from KP, you can no longer see the original Westin tower as it is engulfed completely by the new one.

i've left trinity after midnight and they were still working at the westin (this was only during the week... not on weekends).

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fron the Projo, April 1, '05:

In addition to the purchase-and-sale contract, a development agreement to build a 200-room hotel tower on the land next to the Westin has also been finalized. Under the agreement, The Procaccianti Group must build the addition by July 7, 2007. For every month the hotel completion is delayed, the company will have to pay a $200,000 late fee, up to $10 million.

They need to have this completed about nine months from now, or face hefty penalties. Working more or less around the clock gives them a more comfortable cushion should there be a delay of some sort.

Fron the Projo, April 1, '05:

They need to have this completed about nine months from now, or face hefty penalties. Working more or less around the clock gives them a more comfortable cushion should there be a delay of some sort.

they should do this with everyone who breaks ground or demolishes buildings

they should do this with everyone who breaks ground or demolishes buildings

They were able to do this as part of the purchase and sale agreement when TPG bought the then state owned Westin. The city could perhaps tie something like this into a demolision permit, but if one is building from scratch on private land and is not demolishing anything, it's harder to make this requirement. What the city can, and does do, is put sunset clauses on variances, use them or lose them, Belmonte Castillo on Federal Hill is running into this problem now.

The windows are looking good, I can't wait to see it finished.

I just checked the construction cam and compared it against the latest drawings. They have only 2 floors left to pour. Right now they are on the floor that has the corner porches/balconies.

you can see it from PC's campus... the 2 buildings are about the same height right now (the thing sticking up in the middle is what i'm using as the height of the new building).

From high up in RIH, the center elevator portion is actually taller than the original Westin, while the steel portion constructed so far is just a smidge shorter...

- Garris

Hi everyone,

Here's a look at the Westin II from high up in RIH. It's a miserable day, but you can see the steel construction is at the height of the original now!

constructionskylinealtscr5.jpg

Also, check out how Westin II and Waterplace fills out the skyline from the Southern vantage point...

Also check out how being in the basin makes them appear so much shorter than they are from here too...

- Garris

Archived