IN-PROGRESS: "Iway" 195 Relocation/Wash. Bridge

Ah, but do you know what will suck about all of this? They will be closing the West Friendship St onramp to 195. Making it very hard to get from West/South sides to East sides.

not good!

I was in the Jewelry district yesterday, needing to get back to the Southside. I sat there on Point Street, gazing across the overpass, with South Providence a stone's throw away, and then had to battle the Eddy Street traffic disaster for 15 minutes to reach my destination. Infuriating!

Also, who the heck OK'd closing the Pine St. overpass before opening the Point street one? Did anyone raise a stink about this? While the situation will be short-term (we hope), keeping people from being able to get from Southside to the East Side like that is seriously way too reminiscent of other bad Urban Renewal patterns of the past. . .

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, but do you know what will suck about all of this? They will be closing the West Friendship St onramp to 195. Making it very hard to get from West/South sides to East sides.

not good!

Oh, no! When does that happen?

When the Friendship St onramp closes, that new Point St overpass will overnight become one of the most trafficed areas in the city...

...keeping people from being able to get from Southside to the East Side like that is seriously way too reminiscent of other bad Urban Renewal patterns of the past. . .

I don't think there's any conspiracy here, especially considering the huge number of people who work in the South Prov hospitals and live on the East Side. Just probably poor timing...

- Garris

I noticed them a couple of days ago. I thought just the "Iway Bridge" would have the Teal/Blue color scheme, but it looks like the approaches will have it too. :thumbsup:

Over the last week or so they have started laying the girders for the elevated portion between the river and I-95. It gives the project a real sense of progress.

Hey everyone, First Time Writer, I am an intern at the RIDOT and right in the middle of this whole IWAY project as I work in the Bridge Engineering Section. Just a reply to the most common question is that I wouldnt expect to see the Providence River Bridge arrive until late august or early september. However I wouldnt worry about missing it because it will be largely advertised. In addition, if youd like to ask me any other questions feel free to do so, but remember Im only an Intern and dont know everything...haha.

Hey everyone, First Time Writer, I am an intern at the RIDOT and right in the middle of this whole IWAY project as I work in the Bridge Engineering Section. Just a reply to the most common question is that I wouldnt expect to see the Providence River Bridge arrive until late august or early september. However I wouldnt worry about missing it because it will be largely advertised. In addition, if youd like to ask me any other questions feel free to do so, but remember Im only an Intern and dont know everything...haha.

Hey CSTSAUVEUR, welcome to the forum! Thanks for the inside info. I'm sure we'll have many questions for you as this progresses.

-matt

Welcome to UP...and thanks for the info!

In addition, if youd like to ask me any other questions feel free to do so, but remember Im only an Intern and dont know everything...haha.

Is the east bound lanes of the new bridge still slated to open in 2009? Some have said 2012, but I believe thats when the project will be completed, i.e. demolition of the old 195.

Is the east bound lanes of the new bridge still slated to open in 2009? Some have said 2012, but I believe thats when the project will be completed, i.e. demolition of the old 195.

As of now, construction should be finished towards the tail end of 2009, with demolition lasting into 2012.

right, but according to a May29, 2006 Projo article:

"The DOT plans to open the first part of the project, from Route 95 northbound to the eastbound lanes of the new road, to traffic by the end of next year."

sounds like this is for late 2007...

You are correct, in terms of eastbound coming from 95 North, should be open towards the tail end of 2007.

As of now, construction should be finished towards the tail end of 2009, with demolition lasting into 2012.

Can you lay out the schedule in a little more detail (at least as the detail stands now, I understand with a project of this magnitude that schedules are subject to change).

As I understand it, traffic on 195 will be split for a while, with traffic in one direction on the new allignment and traffic in the other direction on the old alignment. This allows for connections to be made, and traffic to be detoured to allow for that connection work to proceed.

Are we looking at 195 being entirely moved to the new allignment by 2009? And when you say demolition will be complete by 2012, does that mean the bridges and embankments will be gone by then ready for the street grid to be rebuilt and utlities and such installed after 2012, or will the streetgrid be substantially complete by 2012?

And let me keep asking questions... How will the demolition procede, will it work from one end to the other, so one end of the right-of-way may be ready for development before 2012?

http://www.dot.state.ri.us/projects/constr...195Update11.pdf

This layout should help you with a lot of your project timing questions if you look at the outline of the construction contracts in the lower left hand side. As for the process of demolition, that is something that I am not completely sure of. If I am able to get a reliable concrete answer to that question I will let you all know. I am mainly helping out with drawings and plans that are coming through on the current contracts and mainly learning more and more about the project as the days go on.

Quick Question.......As you know i am new to this website....how do I quote only a portion of what someone posts instead of having to take the whole thing. Can it just be highlighted or something?

Quick Question.......As you know i am new to this website....how do I quote only a portion of what someone posts instead of having to take the whole thing. Can it just be highlighted or something?

you can just edit the quoted text the same way you edit any other text. Just be sure to leave the quote and /quote tags.

how do I quote only a portion of what someone posts instead of having to take the whole thing. Can it just be highlighted or something?

Yes, hit the p_quote.gif button under the post you want to quote, then delete the text from the post that is not relevant.

The text in your reply box will look like this:

[quote name='cstsauveur' date='Jul 20 2006, 08:19 AM' post='497862']

how do I quote only a portion of what someone posts instead of having to take the whole thing.  Can it just be highlighted or something?

[/quote]

It feels a bit strange to get excited over a highway, but I love the color on those beams.

I noticed these photos on the MTAs Big Dig site, they are under the ramps connecting to the Tobin Bridge along the Millers River riverwalk. I want to check this out next time I go to Boston because this is a similar environment to what we will have under 195 between Allens Ave.. the Hospitals, and Davol Square:

bmillers.jpg

colors.jpg

MassPike.com

Archived