Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

While I don't celebrate any business going under and closing, I must say that I won't miss any of these fitness centers.

Too many of them around here and they just take up space that could possibly be occupied by something better.

And here's hoping that's exactly what happens.

19 hours ago, JFW657 said:

While I don't celebrate any business going under and closing, I must say that I won't miss any of these fitness centers.

Too many of them around here and they just take up space that could possibly be occupied by something better.

And here's hoping that's exactly what happens.

So uhh.... what gym should I be going to that I don't have to drive to?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Thankfully, I can walk or ride to the Y. It always struck me as a little absurd to get in the car to go and work out.

The Y's hours are completely awful for night owl's like me, and also doesn't help me in SoDo.  24 hour and Youfit being right here was part of the appeal to me over College Park or other urban neighborhoods.

2 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

The Y's hours are completely awful for night owl's like me, and also doesn't help me in SoDo.  24 hour and Youfit being right here was part of the appeal to me over College Park or other urban neighborhoods.

Yes, you do have to keep banker’s hours at the Y - it is a drawback but the older I get the less I mind.

College Park is finally getting a Y, maybe SoDo will be next.

My thing is gyms tend to be here one day and gone the next. Bally used to be THE gym in town and then *poof* it was gone.

I like that the Y has been here longer than me and will likely be here when I’m gone. And, hey, they gave us Dale Carnegie, too!

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

We were so worried we were going to lose these to demolition by neglect which is absurd because they were built to withstand nuclear attack. Glad sanity kicked in.

I wonder if they did anything to the interior... the photos uploaded by mgmt on FB still show window frames in need of a bit of cleaning.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

My recommendation would be to buy your own workout equipment and a decent pair of running shoes.

You'd save a ton  of money in the long run and because you live in such a quaint and beautiful old part of town, the surrounding neighborhoods should provide all the incentive necessary to get out and go running.

Screw the gyms. 

JMHO, of course. :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

My recommendation would be to buy your own workout equipment and a decent pair of running shoes.

You'd save a ton  of money in the long run and because you live in such a quaint and beautiful old part of town, the surrounding neighborhoods should provide all the incentive necessary to get out and go running.

Screw the gyms. 

JMHO, of course. :thumbsup: 

I don’t really have a place to put a pool at Bel Fontaine. Maybe they wouldn’t notice if I had one installed in that empty lot next door...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Sometimes we have to make do with what we've been given.

Of course, there's always the pool at The Metropolitan. 

I used that pool all the time back in the 80's when it was still The Harley. 

Or, just go to the Y, where my dues help to support kids in the community and I refrain from being a scofflaw.

Meanwhile, the Y suggests this:

Edited by spenser1058

20 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I called you fit this morning and they told me they were opening the sodo location in the next few days. 

Edited by jack
  • Like 1

The shell building is coming together at the former Mama Bs site that Foxtail had been planning to open at.

Frustrating to me that they are essentially building a new building and didn’t have to bring the site to code - still has the same setback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

The shell building is coming together at the former Mama Bs site that Foxtail had been planning to open at.

Frustrating to me that they are essentially building a new building and didn’t have to bring the site to code - still has the same setback.

maybe I missed it, what is taking that space if not FoxTail?

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

1 hour ago, LouStoo said:

maybe I missed it, what is taking that space if not FoxTail?

Me too... We know Foxtail is moving to the old Starbucks location (right?).

The permit on this says "Foxtail Coffee Tenant build out Shell"  "Construction of a ground up shell building" but their is no indication of what is going in.

FWIW, Google maps says High Quality CBD Oil | HealRain is located there. https://healrain.com/

21 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Me too... We know Foxtail is moving to the old Starbucks location (right?).

The permit on this says "Foxtail Coffee Tenant build out Shell"  "Construction of a ground up shell building" but their is no indication of what is going in.

FWIW, Google maps says High Quality CBD Oil | HealRain is located there. https://healrain.com/

In this case, does “Shell “ mean “a shell of a building” or was it once a Shell Oil station? I’m assuming it was once a gas station - the other Mama B’s definitely was.

40 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

In this case, does “Shell “ mean “a shell of a building” or was it once a Shell Oil station? I’m assuming it was once a gas station - the other Mama B’s definitely was.

"Shell" means "shell of a building". It was a gas station, but best of my memory was an Exxon. I believe the brownfield record calls it "former Exxon site".

• Thanks 1