Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

"News bimbos" - probably the most apropos description I've heard for local news anchor teams (it was all downhill after Bob Jordan and Carole Nelson.)

Could they pull off more seats by going deep and digging down?

I think that's what they're doing. In the video, they are shown jackhammering up the floor inside.

I still don't see the place holding "thousands" of people, though.

Maybe one thousand SRO.

• Thanks 1

I'm intrigued by how many venues we're going to have::

• Bob Carr

• Beacham

• The Plaza

• Firestone (assuming this happens)

Not to mention 3 theaters at DPAC plus HoB/Hard Rock in the tourist zone (I believe they dismantled The Chapin at OCCC.) Then there's the Am and UCF and Rollins and Loch Haven plus SAK and even smaller facilities (plus stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.)

When DPAC was proposed, there was a hue and cry that it would crowd out existing facilities and make our arts situation untenable. Not only does that not seem to be happening, we seem to be doubling down. I wonder if this is a bubble or something sustainable?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

When DPAC was proposed, there was a hue and cry that it would crowd out existing facilities and make our arts situation untenable. Not only does that not seem to be happening, we seem to be doubling down. I wonder if this is a bubble or something sustainable?

I always thought there was plenty of demand in this area, our comparable city on the west coast, Vegas, has FAR more venues then us still. Including both the old downtown and new strip.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, sunshine said:

I looked at the link, but I still don't get it. What are all of these buildings? Especially the ones on the east side of I-4?

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

I looked at the link, but I still don't get it. What are all of these buildings? Especially the ones on the east side of I-4?

They either sit on land owned by the city (Parking Lots / Creative Village) or owned by developers looking to build soon.  They were the proposed sites where Amazon's headquarters would be.  The buildings themselves are just placeholders.

The ones on the east side are the Orlando Sentinel lots, X Orlando, and the Garland parking lot.

Edited by WAJAS98

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Just saw another report on The Vanguard Venue

Proposed seating capacity reported to be 2100.

New parking garage to be included in project.

Also, retail planned for ground floor of Bell South building.

I'm so glad they are including a garage in this project, not only for the patrons of future events, but also from an infill standpoint. Everytime I'm either on I-4 east or SunRail I always glance over and my heart hurts looking at one of my favorite DT buildings next to a shabby lot. 

So does anyone have a timeline on the Sentinel Project (I know they moved last printing press out a few months back) and the Bell South redo? These project will all culminate as a catalyst for this part of Orange. Not to mention if those proposed towers with the weird name gets built. 

20 minutes ago, OrlFlaUsa said:

I'm so glad they are including a garage in this project, not only for the patrons of future events, but also from an infill standpoint. Everytime I'm either on I-4 east or SunRail I always glance over and my heart hurts looking at one of my favorite DT buildings next to a shabby lot. 

So does anyone have a timeline on the Sentinel Project (I know they moved last printing press out a few months back) and the Bell South redo? These project will all culminate as a catalyst for this part of Orange. Not to mention if those proposed towers with the weird name gets built. 

What's the Sentinel Project? What towers are you talking about? I've never heard about those before.

Edited by orange87

Sentinel Project is a long range plan of what to do with the Sentinel blocks as they move out.  The printing has already gone off site.  A year or so ago there was a massing model that showed it all covered with about 4-5-story apartments.  The Bell South building remodel near the Firestone has several plans, one that includes a new garage that will benefit both the Bell South and the Firestone.  Or something like that.

Edited by cwetteland

15 hours ago, orange87 said:

What's the Sentinel Project? What towers are you talking about? I've never heard about those before.

Obviously I don't follow the downtown construction like many do on this site so I asked a question about the property and what the plan is still for it. 

As for the towers there is the one planned at Central Station across form the courthouse adjacent to Sunrail and another one where the big oak tree is on the empty lot near Orange and Livingston.

IF all these projects eventually get done this area of Orange (which feels like a dead zone) will be transformed. 

Edited by OrlFlaUsa

24 minutes ago, OrlFlaUsa said:

Obviously I don't follow the downtown construction like many do on this site so I asked a question about the property and what the plan is still for it. 

As for the towers there is the one planned at Central Station across form the courthouse adjacent to Sunrail and another one where the big oak tree is on the empty lot near Orange and Livingston.

IF all these projects eventually get done this area of Orange (which feels like a dead zone) will be transformed. 

SAVE THE +ONE OAK TREE

• Like 3

"With the sale, Bags Inc. will continue to operate as an independent company based out of Orlando. Earlier this year it started work on a new global headquarters near the Amway Center, moving from a spot near SeaWorld. Bags Inc. has been growing fast in recent years, bringing its total number of full-time employees up to 3,000, SP Plus reported Thursday. That’s up from about 1,875 earlier in the year, Bags Inc. reported." 

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I grew up in Connecticut and now live near Orlando. I'd be interested to hear how you guys think downtown Orlando compares to downtown Hartford, CT.

I lived in Hartford from 2009-2012, less than two miles from the city center, and almost never had any reason to be downtown.  The occasional concert or restaurant, but barely - and I never had warm fuzzy feelings when I was.  Downtown Orlando (especially Lake Eola Park, Eola South, Thorton Park and Church Street) feels much more dynamic than Hartford ever did to me. Granted, Hartford has a more interesting stock of older architecture, and having the Wadsworth, Science Center, and convention center all within blocks of each other puts it well head of Orlando in that regard, but to me, Orlando still feels vibrant by comparison. 

• Like 1