Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

There goes the neighborhood.  Thanks for the follow up article.  I think this is a huge mistake.  They could just do a land swap with the expressway folks and put it directly next to the existing lift station instead.

I don't think that row house development was ever rooted in reality. No one would pay good money (at least the prices that I'm sure a developer would want to command) to live in a row house that's sandwiched between South Street and the 408. Too much traffic, too much noise. It also isn't ideally suited for business use, either. As it would be difficult to get in and out of that location.

• Like 2

I don't think that row house development was ever rooted in reality. No one would pay good money (at least the prices that I'm sure a developer would want to command) to live in a row house that's sandwiched between South Street and the 408. Too much traffic, too much noise. It also isn't ideally suited for business use, either. As it would be difficult to get in and out of that location.

I disagree.

I disagree.

And I disagree with your disagreement! Ha! Take that!

But seriously, I'm basing my opinion on the fact that there's a substantial decrease in property values based on whether you are in a residential property directly on South Street (or Anderson, as well) or a home or two away from these roads. Keep in mind, South and Anderson aren't just busy streets in this part of town, they are busy thoroughfares - three lanes across - with fast moving traffic. I wouldn't want to live on South or Anderson, even though there are some beautiful homes there (particularly on Anderson) because it would be a hassle to get in and out of a driveway/parking lot, it would be noisy, it's not pedestrian friendly. I especially wouldn't want to live between South/Anderson and the 408, for all the reasons listed earlier. 

If I were to buy or rent a new property downtown (and I would assume a developer would be charging downtown prices), I'd take my money elsewhere as there are plenty of better locations.

Edited by FLClarkKent

We're becoming a city of pools, that's not something you see on a satellite view of Chicago or NYC. 

actually you do; definitely in Chicago and probably in NYC as well (I mean the Hancock even has a pool- but on the inside of the building). 

my point is less about the pools but more so that there are a lot of high density residential developments in downtown; the pool merely being the amenity.  lots of downtowns aren't liveable; but, Chicago's and NYC's (Midtown) is.  my point is also that the City has been steadily adding to its downtown residential inventory over the years which is a very good indicator of neighborhood desirability.

But seriously, I'm basing my opinion on the fact that there's a substantial decrease in property values based on whether you are in a residential property directly on South Street (or Anderson, as well) or a home or two away from these roads. Keep in mind, South and Anderson aren't just busy streets in this part of town, they are busy thoroughfares - three lanes across - with fast moving traffic. I wouldn't want to live on South or Anderson, even though there are some beautiful homes there (particularly on Anderson) because it would be a hassle to get in and out of a driveway/parking lot, it would be noisy, it's not pedestrian friendly. I especially wouldn't want to live between South/Anderson and the 408, for all the reasons listed earlier. 

If I were to buy or rent a new property downtown (and I would assume a developer would be charging downtown prices), I'd take my money elsewhere as there are plenty of better locations.

Almost all of the land between South and the 408 (west of Mills) is zoned for rather dense multi-family (R-3B).  This strip of land is perfect for multi-family infill development IMO.  There is currently no sidewalk on the south side of South Street but that should obviously be fixed.  There is a huge amount of pedestrian traffic along South and a ton of bikes.  Throwing a lift station into the main corner of this area will decrease the chances that the area can be redeveloped and we should be increasing the likelihood of redevelopment instead.

Almost all of the land between South and the 408 (west of Mills) is zoned for rather dense multi-family (R-3B).  This strip of land is perfect for multi-family infill development IMO.  There is currently no sidewalk on the south side of South Street but that should obviously be fixed.  There is a huge amount of pedestrian traffic along South and a ton of bikes.  Throwing a lift station into the main corner of this area will decrease the chances that the area can be redeveloped and we should be increasing the likelihood of redevelopment instead.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I can see re-developing land to the north of South, and to the south of Anderson...but not so much the small strip in between.

The South St/Mills intersection is kind of a run down area so it would be hard for a townhome to command a comparable price when listed against the other offerings downtown. Maybe it would be different if the property owners in that general area collectively took interest in curb appeal. In comparison, the property owners facing Anderson St in Lake Cherokee at least show some pride of ownership despite the location. I don't think the South St/Mills intersection would hurt a business though. The GAI Building is located on the South St/Summerlin intersection but getting in/out isn't difficult. And the overall area is much nicer too.

My only complaint about the lift station is that it isn't fancy enough and it kind of looks dated. Also, in the renderings, some kind of shed and storage tank are still visible while situated too close to the perimeter wall. IMO, OUC does a much better job of masking their chilled water plants.

Buying a house on Anderson is a bet that you will win the imminent domain lottery.  There is nothing really awesome about living there (a friend of mine rented a house there for many years) and so many bad things you have to put up with.

You are seriously just hoping you get more out of it than you paid whenever the next expansion comes.

That location stinks. It cannot command decent prices until we run out of land throughout downtown. I had a buddy that lived on Anderson and I looked at buying a home and it was too loud for me to tolerate it. Maybe low income homes. 

I was surprised when I saw the town home plans for that property. He got lucky that the City came along. 

That location stinks. It cannot command decent prices until we run out of land throughout downtown. I had a buddy that lived on Anderson and I looked at buying a home and it was too loud for me to tolerate it. Maybe low income homes. 

I was surprised when I saw the town home plans for that property. He got lucky that the City came along. 

I live directly on South Street and I think it's just a great location.  The speed limit should be dropped and it should be converted to be a two-way street with bike lanes, but otherwise it's just fine.  It is an excellent area for middle income multi-family development.

I live directly on South Street and I think it's just a great location.  The speed limit should be dropped and it should be converted to be a two-way street with bike lanes, but otherwise it's just fine.  It is an excellent area for middle income multi-family development.

It is indeed a great location. Convenient access to downtown and beyond.

I don't know if South or Anderson could ever be converted to two way traffic, or have a lane removed...but that certainly would make it a more pedestrian/bike friendly area.

It is indeed a great location. Convenient access to downtown and beyond.

I don't know if South or Anderson could ever be converted to two way traffic, or have a lane removed...but that certainly would make it a more pedestrian/bike friendly area.

I run from Rosalind on South up and around Lake Underhill and back on Anderson once or twice a week and other than the stretch on South between Bumby and Primrose the sidewalks are pretty good.  There is no need to be on the 408 side of either of these roads.  The only hazards are cars coming from Liberty, Lake and Eola Streets turning right on South Street that only yield and look left before making me a hood ornament.

Driving, I do like the 50mph, um, I mean 35mph speed limit on South Street.

Keep in mind, South and Anderson aren't just busy streets in this part of town, they are busy thoroughfares - three lanes across - with fast moving traffic. I wouldn't want to live on South or Anderson, even though there are some beautiful homes there (particularly on Anderson) because it would be a hassle to get in and out of a driveway/parking lot, it would be noisy, it's not pedestrian friendly. I especially wouldn't want to live between South/Anderson and the 408, for all the reasons listed earlier..

It would suck trying to get out if you had to back out into South St. If whatever driveway you used was situated in such a way that you could pull our forward, it wouldn't be too bad. And as for pedestrian friendliness, I used to walk around there all the time when I lived at Summerlin & Church. Wasn't bad at all given the decent sidewalks & the proximity to Lake Eola seems like it would be a definite plus for anything in that area.

All moot now, though I suppose.

I run from Rosalind on South up and around Lake Underhill and back on Anderson once or twice a week and other than the stretch on South between Bumby and Primrose the sidewalks are pretty good.  There is no need to be on the 408 side of either of these roads.  The only hazards are cars coming from Liberty, Lake and Eola Streets turning right on South Street that only yield and look left before making me a hood ornament.

Driving, I do like the 50mph, um, I mean 35mph speed limit on South Street.

It sounds like we're neighbors. I start at the same corner and Take South eastbound to Summerlin & then head south to Michigan. I have to be careful crossing the 408 off ramp.