History of Charlotte

city123

On 6/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, KJHburg said:

from the old Levine Museum of the New South and yes once Charlotte was the budding country music capital of the USA

Charlotte and Nashville have been competitors for 100 years. 

skyline shot from the 1970s  one of those pyramids at the old Civic Center ended up atop the BOAT at Legacy Union

Charlotte1970sskyline.jpg

CharlotteNashvillecountrymusicsign.jpg

I went to a White Party back in the late 90s on the top of the Jefferson Pilot Building. Aka 2 First Union. Aka 2 Wells Fargo. 32 stories up. Highest I've been in any building in Charlotte. They should open that space back up again. Great views

• Like 3

To be clear about this, the move of textile mills from water powered to electric power revealed a critical defect. When the mill was next to, above or very near the water source there was constant humidity. Spinning the cotton to yarn (thread) requires regular humidity or the thread becomes dry and fragile and breaks. Dry weather affects human hair in this way. Mill managers discovered that these many breaks at the new mills required someone, often a child, to crawl into the machine and tie the broken threads. You can imagine what this does to efficiency. Mr Cramer created a web of pipes that would release a mist of water when directed by a humidistat, or similar device. This allowed the process to continue with steady output. It conditioned the air humidity not the temperature. It had no relevance to worker comfort other than not having to tie broken threads and restart machines. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this day in Charlotte history the largest concert EVER in NC at the Charlotte Motor Speedway from UNCC Archives. 

North Carolina's largest concert ever took placed on this day, August 10, 1974, at

. August Jam—with headliners like

Allman Brothers 

had expected a crowd of 70,000, but widespread gatecrashing raised audience totals to over 200,000. 📸: #bryantmcmurray #CLTHistory

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Am touring Kew Gardens in London today. This is where King George III and Queen Charlotte enjoyed staying.  Here are a couple of pictures of Charlotte that I have not ever seen myself. What strikes me is the continuity of her face between, what appears, decades.  In other words, I bet they're very accurate of her looks. I know that historians in Charlotte have been wanting some kind of evidence of her looks, besides the one hanging in The Mint Museum.  There was even a period when folks claimed she had a lot of African in her blood.

qc1.jpg

qc2.jpg

qc3.jpg

Queen Charlotte's African ancestry was Madragana Den Aljandro.  She was the partner of King Alfonso II of Portugal (my ancestor).  She was the daughter of a Sharia Law Judge in Spain during the 13th century. Madragana was a beautiful white woman of Arab extraction, King Alfonso and her father were also very white despite her father being from North Africa (Arab).  Over the years misleading portraits have been created misrepresenting the person for whom they were intended.  King Edwards III's son, "Edward the Black Knight of Lorne" was depicted as black as was James Stuart, "The Black Prince."  They word" black" was part of their title as black was the color of their armor.  Great Britain, until now, has been obsessed with blood lines historically. Mixing of cultures was done in planning marriages to obtain land, fortune, or advancement in the royal circles. Social engineering in movies and television is replacing reality with quotas. History should never be distorted for the sake of placation. The past is history and it can't be changed. Even if Hollywood makes Hannibal, Queen Charlotte, Cleopatra, and Snow White, it won't make the world any better. It will just be part of their little lie. We should all be proud of what we are and if we aren't happy, strive to do better. 

Thanks for the photos.  If you are into British wars, etc., and since you are in South London, and if you have time, check out the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth (S. London). The tube station Lambeth North Station. It is one of my absolute favorite museums in London and not crazy with tourists. Have fun. 

Edited by Larry Singer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Larry Singer said:

Queen Charlotte's African ancestry was Madragana Den Aljandro.  She was the partner of King Alfonso II of Portugal (my ancestor).  She was the daughter of a Sharia Law Judge in Spain during the 13th century. Madragana was a beautiful white woman of Arab extraction, King Alfonso and her father were also very white despite her father being from North Africa (Arab).  Over the years misleading portraits have been created misrepresenting the person for whom they were intended.  King Edwards III's son, "Edward the Black Knight of Lorne" was depicted as black as was James Stuart, "The Black Prince."  They word" black" was part of their title as black was the color of their armor.  Great Britain, until now, has been obsessed with blood lines historically. Mixing of cultures was done in planning marriages to obtain land, fortune, or advancement in the royal circles. Social engineering in movies and television is replacing reality with quotas. History should never be distorted for the sake of placation. The past is history and it can't be changed. Even if Hollywood makes Hannibal, Queen Charlotte, Cleopatra, and Snow White, it won't make the world any better. It will just be part of their little lie. We should all be proud of what we are and if we aren't happy, strive to do better. 

Thanks for the photos.  If you are into British wars, etc., and since you are in South London, and if you have time, check out the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth (S. London). The tube station Lambeth North Station. It is one of my absolute favorite museums in London and not crazy with tourists. Have fun. 

What a confusing web. I thought Charlotte's primary history was from North Germany. (?).  Mecklenburg to be precise.

Thanks for the tips. I have heard of both museums and will check them out.  It's good being retired.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Producing electricity for 100 years clean hydro power.  This dam provided electricity for Charlotte and its future growth and even current growth.

Mountain Island Hydro marks 100 years of producing clean energy | Duke Energy | illumination (duke-energy.com)

there is a nice little trail downstream from the dam I have walked on in Gaston County.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Producing electricity for 100 years clean hydro power.  This dam provided electricity for Charlotte and its future growth and even current growth.

Mountain Island Hydro marks 100 years of producing clean energy | Duke Energy | illumination (duke-energy.com)

there is a nice little trail downstream from the dam I have walked on in Gaston County.  

My understanding is that Thomas Edison once stopped by to visit on his way up to Biltmore House where he helped a little on the electrification of Biltmore.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know how I found this it seem to find me but here is the story of the Eastern Airlines crash at CLT back in 1974.   Very interesting story and the changes made immediately after this crash.  I did not know any about Steven Colberts family.  

Critical Conversations: The crash of Eastern Airlines flight 212 | by Admiral Cloudberg | Medium

The last fatal crash at CLT was in 2003 a smaller regional jet.

CLT had a fatal crash with a US Air jet back in 1994 too.   This flight was coming from Columbia to CLT. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I mentioned this here some time ago that I worked out West Boulevard at that time and I was going toward work in the morning in 1974 and I heard sirens behind me and I thought every emergency vehicle in the city passed me. I was unaware of the nature of the tragedy of course until I reached work. A quiet day among colleagues. 

edit: typo

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 6:19 PM, KJHburg said:

cltschools78.jpg

Friendship College closed in 1981, Sacred Heart closed in 1987. NC Textile Vocational School became the Kimbrell campus of Gaston College in 2005. Rowan Tech also became Rowan-Cabarrus CC. Interestingly Southern Piedmont CC (Union County) isn't on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Friendship College closed in 1981, Sacred Heart closed in 1987. NC Textile Vocational School became the Kimbrell campus of Gaston College in 2005. Rowan Tech also became Rowan-Cabarrus CC. Interestingly Southern Piedmont CC (Union County) isn't on here.

Is Rutledge College still around?

• Like 1

Rutledge *college* is how George Shinn, founder of Charlotte Hornets made his millions. A natural salesman he drifted into the Rutledge orbit. The *college* made its money by recruiting students with promises of government loans, stipends, VA benefits, and and so on. The classes and instructors were of minimal competence and quality. The college kept all the money and the students had whatever qualifications they may have achieved, IF they finished their programs. Many found it of little benefit in the employment marketplace. Still the admissions people (read: sales agents) had quotas for recruitment and as head of the business Shill, excuse me, Shinn made the most of all. There was a Rutledge near Euclid and Morehead for a time which is how I became aware of them. Some private professional schools have value. Rutledge, at least in its final stage had little.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1