History of Charlotte

city123

Dilworth had a school, a town hall and other contributions to civic life. The original Dilworth School, at the current tennis courts location on Euclid at Park, was the first NC school with indoor bathrooms for both males and females. It burned in the early 1950's and was replaced with the central section of the current school, since expanded. Until the renovation and expansion of the school, and addition of a Parks building, one could see the remains of the original school on the exposed brick of the Euclid facing building.

Page 50 from the book itself, page 56 of the pdf representation, shows the "good roads" of the region. Recall that the prison work gangs breaking rocks, seen in the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou, among many other representations, was a real public purpose to provide stone, both crushed and gravel, for road building. It was not make-work. Of course to break men as well rocks.

46 minutes ago, ertley said:

From @tarhoosierin the CATS thread (I think):

"Third Street station now is where cotton warehouses and cotton factors gathered during the season. Loading and unloading bales, testing, sampling for quality and dealmaking with credit and sales to move product onward. The cotton market as it is called in this book. See page 29 of the pdf of this book: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/gdc/scd0001/2010/20100114006ch/20100114006ch.pdf

I say, take a look at page 50, for some perspective.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

Oh, I am sorry about your father, but on further reflection it seems right and proper that he was at his personal happy place for that event.

https://dilworthtennis.com/#ourstory

For many years the "club" has welcomed all, of all skills and background. "Put a quarter in the can!" was the membership shout. The best of Charlotte.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Oh, I am sorry about your father, but on further reflection it seems right and proper that he was at his personal happy place for that event.

https://dilworthtennis.com/#ourstory

For many years the "club" has welcomed all, of all skills and background. "Put a quarter in the can!" was the membership shout. The best of Charlotte.

Thanks.  Yes, Matt attended the service. Great group of folks. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^ this is why I tell people who deride new communities that seem treeless.  Myers Park was treeless  as it was indeed cotton fields and they actually moved trees there.  Check out Piper Glen, Berewick, Ballantyne Country Club with all the trees they have now.   You should see the row of willow oaks down on Rea Road through Piper Glen it is beautiful.   Trees like people do not live forever and we need to be constantly replanting especially in the intown neighborhoods.  Charlotte has a strong tree ordinance and it is very evident in the newer areas of 20 years old or so. 

The area Ballantyne was almost all trees, before,  and if not trees a few scattered cow pastures used for birdhunting by folks like the Miller family.  I clearly remember camping out there as a youngster.

Let's look beyond the era of cotton fields. Granted there were a few clearings due to natural wildlife like elk, deer, buffalo and other grazers, but for the most part this part of the country was mostly trees.  Yes,  Woodland Indians set fires, but those , whether intentional or not,  kept undergrowth to a minimum beneath a wonderful canopy. 

On another point, the trees that are moved into these new neighborhoods will never support the wildlife that the ones bulldozed had been. Long rows of willow oaks are good from some species, but create deserts for others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I know that 1935 map well. I refer to it when there is a discussion of renaming Stonewall Street. If one looks at the map closely there are three short streets where the stadium is now that are named Vance, Hill and Jackson Terrace. All for the confederate generals. There would have been no reason for duplication for Stonewall. Also, in our more genteel and cultured (?) past no one ever would have recommended naming anything for Jackson by using the nickname of the beloved martyr of the South rather than his given name.

I have surrendered to the majority who I consider ahistorical. Better seen at this site and use filter for "1935".

http://maps.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/historicmaps/

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I know that 1935 map well. I refer to it when there is a discussion of renaming Stonewall Street. If one looks at the map closely there are three short streets where the stadium is now that are named Vance, Hill and Jackson Terrace. All for the confederate generals. There would have been no reason for duplication for Stonewall. Also, in our more genteel and cultured (?) past no one ever would have recommended naming anything for Jackson by using the nickname of the beloved martyr of the South rather than his given name.

I have surrendered to the majority who I consider ahistorical. Better seen at this site and use filter for "1935".

http://maps.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/historicmaps/

In one sense,  old Charlotte held those guys in high esteem, and yet in another nobody really cared. I remember, as a teenager, we'd drive by Stonewall Jackson's widow's mansion up in Lowesville.  It was bulldozed by Duke Power around 1980 for a transfer station.  Thanks for all your research. You should publish.  I think I prefer reading your anecdotes to those of the UNCC professor who The Observer used to always quote. No name on purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

In one sense,  old Charlotte held those guys in high esteem, and yet in another nobody really cared. I remember, as a teenager, we'd drive by Stonewall Jackson's widow's mansion up in Lowesville.  It was bulldozed by Duke Power around 1980 for a transfer station.  Thanks for all your research. You should publish.  I think I prefer reading your anecdotes to those of the UNCC professor who The Observer used to always quote. No name on purpose.

The old home was in census designated place Mariposa, which is Spanish for butterfly. I went there before it disappeared and it was a distinctive brick home, two stories, on the crest of a hill looking toward the Catawba River. At least that is my memory. I was disappointed at some later time when trying to find it I discovered it was gone. Anna Morrison, widow of Stonewall, plays an important part in Charlotte history and the Morrison "girls" as they were known married extremely well, by the standards of their time. Also connected to Davidson College. See here:

https://digitalprojects.davidson.edu/inclusivestories/main-content/first-ladies-of-davidson-the-women-of-the-morrison-family/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

The old home was in census designated place Mariposa, which is Spanish for butterfly. I went there before it disappeared and it was a distinctive brick home, two stories, on the crest of a hill looking toward the Catawba River. At least that is my memory. I was disappointed at some later time when trying to find it I discovered it was gone. Anna Morrison, widow of Stonewall, plays an important part in Charlotte history and the Morrison "girls" as they were known married extremely well, by the standards of their time. Also connected to Davidson College. See here:

https://digitalprojects.davidson.edu/inclusivestories/main-content/first-ladies-of-davidson-the-women-of-the-morrison-family/

Very interesting!  I see that that Anna's mother's homestead was called "Cottage Home" (Obit).  I can't place that one. I visited several old plantations in the 1980s. I almost bought one on a road called Beth Haven. It was falling in but still had the original pressed on paint designs on the walls! Some local kids used it to party and had built fires in the living room, but other than that salvageable. I was too focused on work to spend time on it. I think The Lincoln County Historical Society moved it to Lincolnton anyway. 

I hate that, in the article, they felt like they had to emphasize Anna was white over and over. No duh.

Really interesting looking at the courses offered. Davidson was really strict about no coeds until the 70s.  I've heard some awful stories from older alumni (women).  One arrived only to endure comments like, "Well, you can go make me some coffee..."  It's come a long way, baby..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

File this under History of NC

yesterday was the anniversary of the Titanic sinking.

but did you know this?

""On this date, in 1912, the Hatteras Weather Bureau Station picked up the following message around 11:25pm:
"CQD CQD CQD CQD CQD CQD. Have struck an iceberg. We are badly damaged. Titanic. position 41 degrees 44 minutes north 50 degrees 20 minutes west.'"
Hatteras is the only known wireless station in the United States to have received the first distress call from the RMS Titanic. Record of this transmission was lost to history for almost 100 years, and was only discovered in 2009 during a restoration project when it was found rolled up in a wall as insulation.
The Hatteras Weather Bureau Station, built in 1901, is open to visitation Wednesday-Sunday 8am-430pm.""

and yes it is still standing!  Next time someone brings up the Titanic to you bring up this little factoid. 

https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/uswbs.htm

This is awesome!  I'll pass this along to my fellow ham operators !   'CQ' is our nomenclature for putting out a general call to anyone listening. The "D" part was probably for 'distress'.  I'm sure my Hams in Hatteras already know the story, but it's the first time I heard this.  

Hatteras was an experimental area for radio transmissions at the time.  The 360 degrees of salt water don't hurt.

WN4HOG (call sign)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Refer to this map and click map for original which can be enlarged:

The airport was Northeast of Greene Street which tracks the current path of Ashley Road. Berryhill to the East, Wilkinson to the Southeast. Berry High School about centered if I have my orientation correct. This 1935 map show Tryon as N-S and we know it is NE-SW so adjust orientation appropriately.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Some aerial views of the old Cannon Airport: Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: North Carolina: Charlotte area (airfields-freeman.com)

Does anyone know of an accurate overlay of the old Cannon Airport on top of modern day Charlotte?

so it looks like this Cannon airport was where Freedom Mall aka the county government center is today on Freedom Drive based on where Hazel Drive and how parts of what we now call Tuckaseegee were called Thrift road then. 

and I love old maps I wish I could find this Esso 1950 map I would buy it and frame it and hang it in my house with my other map art.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

so it looks like this Cannon airport was where Freedom Mall aka the county government center is today on Freedom Drive based on where Hazel Drive and how parts of what we now call Tuckaseegee were called Thrift road then. 

and I love old maps I wish I could find this Esso 1950 map I would buy it and frame it and hang it in my house with my other map art.

I think you're right. Here's a much blurrier 1950 map showing more of the grid developed around the airport. It's bounded by Thrift on the N (the section now called Freedom Dr), Roylston on the E, Marlborough to the SE, Greene (now a continuation of Ashley) on the SW, and the tail end of Tuckaseegee to the W. 

By 1954 that section of Thrift has been renamed Freedom. In the 1962 map it was no longer marked - just empty space near the new i85 corridor. In the 1975 map the Freedom Village shopping center is marked there, and in 1982 Freedom Mall is added as well. 

Oh, and here are the runways in the 1950 aerial photos. The road overlay shows that it would be pretty well bounded by modern-day Ashley, Freedom and Alleghany: https://timemachine.mcmap.org/#-80.88568210601808/35.2386091217919/15/-599616000000

Edited by slipperypete
  • Like 3