History of Charlotte

city123

4 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

Rutledge *college* is how George Shinn, founder of Charlotte Hornets made his millions. A natural salesman he drifted into the Rutledge orbit. The *college* made its money by recruiting students with promises of government loans, stipends, VA benefits, and and so on. The classes and instructors were of minimal competence and quality. The college kept all the money and the students had whatever qualifications they may have achieved, IF they finished their programs. Many found it of little benefit in the employment marketplace. Still the admissions people (read: sales agents) had quotas for recruitment and as head of the business Shill, excuse me, Shinn made the most of all. There was a Rutledge near Euclid and Morehead for a time which is how I became aware of them. Some private professional schools have value. Rutledge, at least in its final stage had little.

So, it's gone now, right?

On 11/29/2023 at 4:54 PM, videtur quam contuor said:

Rutledge *college* is how George Shinn, founder of Charlotte Hornets made his millions. A natural salesman he drifted into the Rutledge orbit. The *college* made its money by recruiting students with promises of government loans, stipends, VA benefits, and and so on. The classes and instructors were of minimal competence and quality. The college kept all the money and the students had whatever qualifications they may have achieved, IF they finished their programs. Many found it of little benefit in the employment marketplace. Still the admissions people (read: sales agents) had quotas for recruitment and as head of the business Shill, excuse me, Shinn made the most of all. There was a Rutledge near Euclid and Morehead for a time which is how I became aware of them. Some private professional schools have value. Rutledge, at least in its final stage had little.

The inspiration for Trump University!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

That does not look like the West Blvd location. The buildings beside that Bo were not at the West location. Was there another location that was "original".

maybe it was just an older store Joe Bruno tweeted it out. 

10 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

Yeah that ain’t it

well I guess I will classify that twitter post as fake news 

maybe this one from the same post? 

GAS3U9-XcAAVt8-.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Haha 1

I'm a little perplexed why they ditched the old sign that said "historic south end" for one with a plain yellow background like every other location for the reno.  The new sign appears to be the same size and shape and the old one was in good condition.  Why is any hint of individuality and personality so frowned upon at these kind of places?

• Like 3

December 3 is Charlotte's birthday and the city looks very young to be 255 years old.

Happy Birthday Charlotte!  You look a lot younger than your age.  And I really mean that.  
As someone who was born on the birthday of Charlotte myself right here in Charlotte I have lots of memories here.  While for 18 years I lived elsewhere including the Philly area, the DC area and San Antonio I always came back in the summers and most Christmases to visit. 

I remember going to Tryon Mall now Asian Square Mall to visit Woolco and all the shops they had inside.  And with my grandparents over to Freedom Mall with Richway.  I remember when Eastland was a bustling mall full of people and my parents used to go over to walk around back in the late 1980s when we moved back from DC.  I remember the trips to the Irwin Creek wastewater treatment plant where my grandfather was a city employee.  I remember trips to Park Road Park before Park Road sliced through it.  Going uptown was always exciting as my grandmother and aunt both worked at Belks uptown.  I remember the tv interview with my aunt about how sad she was when Belk closed and was torn down for BofA CC.   I remember driving through North Charlotte on the way back to Harrisburg when my aunts lived up N Davidson and Brevard.  There was no NoDa at that point just a neighborhood down on its luck and serious decline.   I remember telling my grandmother to get on the Brookshire Freeway she was hestitant as she did not know where it went.  I told her to trust me and she did and off we went to I-85.  I remember going to Food Town LFPINC and Zayre over at Eastway and the Plaza.  Southpark was the fancy mall and of course still is and my first apartment was in the new demolished Colony apartments. I remember the night Hugo hit and the power went out all over the city except in uptown.  My brand new Nissan Sentra had its trunk crushed during the storm.  Even after the repair it never closed right.  I remember driving across Charlotte on the interstates to to my parents house in the University area where my dad was cooking on the gas grill everything in the refrigerator.  They were out of power for 2 weeks many were much longer.  I remember the blown out windows uptown in the One First Union Center 301 S College and the pile of sailboats on Lake Norman. I remember the devasting loss of trees and I thought at the time it will never look the same.  But you over the years the trees have filled back in and new ones have grown.  As I said those days were the best and worst of days.  

I remember the parade for Jerry Richardson when we were awarded the NFL team.  I remember the excitement of Hornets and when a sports writer speaking of Charlotte's chances for a NBA said "the only franchise Charlotte will get is a McDonalds"  I guess he was shocked when the Hornets rolled into Phoenix to play his Suns.  I remember the day the scoreboard collapsed at the 2 day old Charlotte Coliseum on Tyvola.   I remember the Hornets games there, U2 concert and how you had to stragetically park in such a way to get out and go the right way out.  I remember the Amtrak rides from DC down to Charlotte and arriving in the middle of the night.   

I could go on and on and on about this.  Happy Birthday Charlotte and while you are not perfect I could live anywhere but you could not blast me out of this region. 

CharlottebirthdayImage.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

December 3 is Charlotte's birthday and the city looks very young to be 255 years old.

Happy Birthday Charlotte!  You look a lot younger than your age.  And I really mean that.  
As someone who was born on the birthday of Charlotte myself right here in Charlotte I have lots of memories here.  While for 18 years I lived elsewhere including the Philly area, the DC area and San Antonio I always came back in the summers and most Christmases to visit. 

I remember going to Tryon Mall now Asian Square Mall to visit Woolco and all the shops they had inside.  And with my grandparents over to Freedom Mall with Richway.  I remember when Eastland was a bustling mall full of people and my parents used to go over to walk around back in the late 1980s when we moved back from DC.  I remember the trips to the Irwin Creek wastewater treatment plant where my grandfather was a city employee.  I remember trips to Park Road Park before Park Road sliced through it.  Going uptown was always exciting as my grandmother and aunt both worked at Belks uptown.  I remember the tv interview with my aunt about how sad she was when Belk closed and was torn down for BofA CC.   I remember driving through North Charlotte on the way back to Harrisburg when my aunts lived up N Davidson and Brevard.  There was no NoDa at that point just a neighborhood down on its luck and serious decline.   I remember telling my grandmother to get on the Brookshire Freeway she was hestitant as she did not know where it went.  I told her to trust me and she did and off we went to I-85.  I remember going to Food Town LFPINC and Zayre over at Eastway and the Plaza.  Southpark was the fancy mall and of course still is and my first apartment was in the new demolished Colony apartments. I remember the night Hugo hit and the power went out all over the city except in uptown.  My brand new Nissan Sentra had its trunk crushed during the storm.  Even after the repair it never closed right.  I remember driving across Charlotte on the interstates to to my parents house in the University area where my dad was cooking on the gas grill everything in the refrigerator.  They were out of power for 2 weeks many were much longer.  I remember the blown out windows uptown in the One First Union Center 301 S College and the pile of sailboats on Lake Norman. I remember the devasting loss of trees and I thought at the time it will never look the same.  But you over the years the trees have filled back in and new ones have grown.  As I said those days were the best and worst of days.  

I remember the parade for Jerry Richardson when we were awarded the NFL team.  I remember the excitement of Hornets and when a sports writer speaking of Charlotte's chances for a NBA said "the only franchise Charlotte will get is a McDonalds"  I guess he was shocked when the Hornets rolled into Phoenix to play his Suns.  I remember the day the scoreboard collapsed at the 2 day old Charlotte Coliseum on Tyvola.   I remember the Hornets games there, U2 concert and how you had to stragetically park in such a way to get out and go the right way out.  I remember the Amtrak rides from DC down to Charlotte and arriving in the middle of the night.   

I could go on and on and on about this.  Happy Birthday Charlotte and while you are not perfect I could live anywhere but you could not blast me out of this region. 

CharlottebirthdayImage.jpg

Thanks for the memories!  I remember the Bicenentennial of 1968 pretty well, as I know several on here do too.  Your comment makes me recall the area where Park Road Park is now, and how we used to build tree forts in the woods before they built it. We were actually disappointed (as kids) that our own personal playground was going to be invaded.  We would explore all through that area and usually come out where the old sewage treatment center was. More than once we'd go right in there and wander about the platforms built over the grinding and bubbling sewage, even 'doing interviews' with the worker who monitored. He never ran us out.

The comment about Eastland was nice too. I remember those days of hanging out skateboarding from the top of the hill in the lot on the SW corner. It was a perfectly smooth asphalt lot with just the right slope.  My deal was to switch to my handstand while barrelling down the hill, run a kind of slalom course, then switch back to my feet before stopping. Can't tell you how many weird old guys cruising around in their cars would try to talk to me...and the other boys.

Anyway, those are just two that you struck a nerve . I remember all those others too.  Did you or family ever go ice skating at The Coliseum on Independence?

Edited by Windsurfer
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, DMann said:

KJH, I too lived in the Colony Apartments in the late 90's prior to moving downtown.  Nice townhouses as I recall and a nice swimming pool.

Dang, I used to occasionally get pulled over to those apartments by friends.  Some of my friends knew people there. Wish I could remember their names. I'm turning 65 in a couple of weeks; wonder if you're in the same bracket. I know a woman with your last name. Used to go to Fair Meadows Pool with her family. Married a windsurfing buddy of mine.  My siblings and I used to compete for Fairmeadows throughout the 60s.

Mentioned in the South End topic and related information here in the history section.

There are certainly a few here who recall the Arab oil embargo of 1973-74. This reduced the supply of oil and increased the price of oil  products. Free flowing fuel for vehicles was one of the first victims. Suddenly, gasoline was nearly unavailable. Long lines at stations formed. Limits of fuel were enforced. It was a strange experience to those of us who knew only plenty. A major consequence of this period was the disappearance of the gasoline service station. Tens of thousands, maybe more closed and never reopened. Within months some became beer stores, flower shops or whatever would benefit from a small land footprint and prominent location.  The Gold/Rolex shop at Remount/Ideal Way and South Boulevard is one that remains. The period is described here with commentary from 2:30-5:00 minutes into the episode. It was an immense disruption one can only imagine from this distance.

The landscape for retail fuel of the time was the many more than now major international petroleum companies leasing stations to individuals to sell fuel in a full service atmosphere. The building had a few bays for service and the operator made his money on that service as a mechanic. Many young men had their interest in autos satisfied by working for their local service station owner as a pump boy and then in the mechanic bay.  The Pawn shop at Greystone and South Boulevard is a likely survivor. Pinky's at West Morehead and Freedom certainly appears to be a candidate.

As you drive around Charlotte or any city in the U. S. you will occasionally see these reminders of a time gone by.

8 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

Mentioned in the South End topic and related information here in the history section.

There are certainly a few here who recall the Arab oil embargo of 1973-74. This reduced the supply of oil and increased the price of oil  products. Free flowing fuel for vehicles was one of the first victims. Suddenly, gasoline was nearly unavailable. Long lines at stations formed. Limits of fuel were enforced. It was a strange experience to those of us who knew only plenty. A major consequence of this period was the disappearance of the gasoline service station. Tens of thousands, maybe more closed and never reopened. Within months some became beer stores, flower shops or whatever would benefit from a small land footprint and prominent location.  The Gold/Rolex shop at Remount/Ideal Way and South Boulevard is one that remains. The period is described here with commentary from 2:30-5:00 minutes into the episode. It was an immense disruption one can only imagine from this distance.

The landscape for retail fuel of the time was the many more than now major international petroleum companies leasing stations to individuals to sell fuel in a full service atmosphere. The building had a few bays for service and the operator made his money on that service as a mechanic. Many young men had their interest in autos satisfied by working for their local service station owner as a pump boy and then in the mechanic bay.  The Pawn shop at Greystone and South Boulevard is a likely survivor. Pinky's at West Morehead and Freedom certainly appears to be a candidate.

As you drive around Charlotte or any city in the U. S. you will occasionally see these reminders of a time gone by.

Really enjoyed that, thanks, especially since I broke my teeth calling on service stations in the late 70s.  Seeing my customers disappear was not so enjoyable at the time for sure.  I never drew the connection between the oil shortage and the streamlining of the industry, but it sure does appear the embargo sped up the evolution.  Kind of like Covid is forcing everyone to evolve to be more online sooner. Perhaps it's inevitable (evolution of industry).

Some of the service stations that did hang on really killed it for a while. I know of several mulit-millionaire service station owners who stuck it out longer than their counterparts.  Many of the independent service station operators just went into building their own garages and gave up on the fuel part. For them, the fuel was just a pain in the butt anyway.

Edited by Windsurfer
  • Like 1

Rather than history it is a fun exercise to find the survivor buildings extant today. Some easily recognizable, others less so. The location is often a clue. The land footprint and corner or prominent location was the key to success for the service station of that time.

Here is a short article that describes the growth of self service stations as a result of the loss of full service/repair stations. Convenience stores/self serve gas arose from occasional locations to nearly everywhere. This was about two years after the  the abandonment of the gold standard for US currency,* a national wage and price freeze and inflation issues that  beggar our imagination. A nightmare for economists.

https://www.masterresource.org/self-service-service-station-bans/self-service-institutionalized/

*I regularly see something described as "the gold standard" of whatever process or item in question. I wonder how long this obsolete term will last and how many people today will understand the reference. I could take my paper money to a (national) chartered bank and have it redeemed for silver coins of approximately the same value in specie. The paper money was a "silver certificate". It is now "full faith and credit" document. Damn that William Jennings Bryan*.

*look it up

2 hours ago, DMann said:

"the Arab oil embargo of 1973-74".  I was a buyer for a department store in Cleveland at that time and one of the products I procured was Locking Gas Caps.  Absolutely could not keep them in stock!!!!!

Same here. As well as all kinds of carburetor add-ons and gas "improving" chemicals. 

1 hour ago, videtur quam contuor said:

Rather than history it is a fun exercise to find the survivor buildings extant today. Some easily recognizable, others less so. The location is often a clue. The land footprint and corner or prominent location was the key to success for the service station of that time.

Here is a short article that describes the growth of self service stations as a result of the loss of full service/repair stations. Convenience stores/self serve gas arose from occasional locations to nearly everywhere. This was about two years after the  the abandonment of the gold standard for US currency,* a national wage and price freeze and inflation issues that  beggar our imagination. A nightmare for economists.

https://www.masterresource.org/self-service-service-station-bans/self-service-institutionalized/

*I regularly see something described as "the gold standard" of whatever process or item in question. I wonder how long this obsolete term will last and how many people today will understand the reference. I could take my paper money to a (national) chartered bank and have it redeemed for silver coins of approximately the same value in specie. The paper money was a "silver certificate". It is now "full faith and credit" document. Damn that William Jennings Bryan*.

*look it up

Knocking down all those service stations opened up a whole new industry: ground soil remediation.

I don't know why I can't remember my ex customer's name who used to own the service station on Providence Road years ago who was sued long after he retired. He was actually in a retirement center when they caught up with him. The station was in front of The Manor Theater. What a great old guy he was too. Gave me an order every time I came by. 

Anyone remember Kirk Brown and Sons at Sharon and Fairview?  

• Like 1

Al Brown had the Panera/Starbucks location at that prominent location and was one of the last full service stations in Carlotte. Many of the wealthy and aged Myers Park people and widows loved the service and conveersation and willingly paid the xtra price.

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...