The Bad News Report

tozmervo

With two consecutive decreases in GDP ( a sign of recession) some news sources say we are officially in a recession.

https://www.bea.gov/data/gdp/gross-domestic-product

I’m definitely curious to know how that will impact Charlotte. Would it be possible to see the GDP of Charlotte alone in the past two quarters? I know that most development projects are planning roughly for a few years economically in the future (which hopefully should maintain the momentum of many planned projects).

5 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Centene Expansion over?  I saw an article headline in Biz Journal but wasn’t able to open it - anyone know if that’s for Charlotte (East Coast HQ) or were they talking about St. Louis (Main HQ).

Here is a non-paywalled version. Sounds like they are referring specifically to the St. Louis HQ. At a glance this sounds bullish for CLT.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/business-journal/centene-terminates-remainder-expansion-deal-clayton-revoke-subsidies/63-a5dea877-ebfd-44c3-9bb4-3fbfbfff9220

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, kermit said:

Here is a non-paywalled version. Sounds like they are referring specifically to the St. Louis HQ. At a glance this sounds bullish for CLT.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/business-journal/centene-terminates-remainder-expansion-deal-clayton-revoke-subsidies/63-a5dea877-ebfd-44c3-9bb4-3fbfbfff9220

Oh whew - Don’t mean to be negative but I’d be surprised if they don’t scale back the East Coast HQ in Charlotte which I think was supposed to be like three (3) separate 800K SF buildings eventually at total build out.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

Centene, like most health insurers, is fully embracing flexible work arrangements. This termination in St. Louis isn't a surprise as they said back in June they planned to reduce their real estate foot print a staggering 65%: https://www.beckerspayer.com/payer/centene-to-reduce-real-estate-footprint-by-65.html

We should all be prepared for the possibility Centene doesn't need their full campus and decides to sub-lease some of the buildings. They aren't going to be even close to 3,000 people on campus most days. Consolidation will promote morale so people aren't sitting on empty floors because the 40% of people in on any given day aren't spread out over a huge space. Being on empty floors is depressing and fairly typical of in-person work at hybrid workplaces. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Centene, like most health insurers, is fully embracing flexible work arrangements. This termination in St. Louis isn't a surprise as they said back in June they planned to reduce their real estate foot print a staggering 65%: https://www.beckerspayer.com/payer/centene-to-reduce-real-estate-footprint-by-65.html

We should all be prepared for the possibility Centene doesn't need their full campus and decides to sub-lease some of the buildings. They aren't going to be even close to 3,000 people on campus most days. Consolidation will promote morale so people aren't sitting on empty floors because the 40% of people in on any given day aren't spread out over a huge space. Being on empty floors is depressing and fairly typical of in-person work at hybrid workplaces. 

They received a hefty incentive package from the state on the condition of a certain employee count.  Wonder how those incentives get unwound or canceled.

6 hours ago, RANYC said:

They received a hefty incentive package from the state on the condition of a certain employee count.  Wonder how those incentives get unwound or canceled.

NC does not pay up front and it is a rebate of their state taxes so if they dont create the jobs the state of NC loses nothing.  It is a rebate of their employment taxes so those jobs must be in the state. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Another hyped economic development announcement from the past is officially naught!

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/08/03/robinhood-is-closing-its-charlotte-office-leaving-big-promises-unfulfilled/

People in Charlotte can remain with the company, they are just getting rid of their entire office footprint so employees can move to Montana and live in the woods if they want. 

We really need to focus on being a great place to live so people come here not just for work.. a lot of our growth has been "my employer is relocating me to Charlotte" or "I need to go to Charlotte for a white collar job." That looks to be less critical in many industries. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

We really need to focus on being a great place to live so people come here not just for work.. a lot of our growth has been "my employer is relocating me to Charlotte" or "I need to go to Charlotte for a white collar job." That looks to be less critical in many industries. 

True.  But the people coming here for work are the ones telling family and friends how good we have it here.  It’s just how the word spreads.  I’m not sure what other method is so effective at clueing people in.   Whenever I’m out of state, I never see tourism ads for NC.  I’m not sure how people would find out.  Less/no physical office space and a “live/work anywhere” future just exposes less people to the area.  Myself and two other friends that moved here for work in the mid-90s are the reason three sets of parents have all retired here.  And a nephew came, to boot.  If we hadn’t come for work, 10 people wouldn’t  be here.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

True.  But the people coming here for work are the ones telling family and friends how good we have it here.  It’s just how the word spreads.  I’m not sure what other method is so effective at clueing people in.   Whenever I’m out of state, I never see tourism ads for NC.  I’m not sure how people would find out.  Less/no physical office space and a “live/work anywhere” future just exposes less people to the area.  Myself and two other friends that moved here for work in the mid-90s are the reason three sets of parents have all retired here.  And a nephew came, to boot.  If we hadn’t come for work, 10 people wouldn’t  be here.  

Oh yeah, it is DEFINITELY going to be a hard thing to overcome. Rather than stick our heads in the ground, I think we need to figure out a way to talk about why Charlotte is a great place to live even if your job is remote. Increasing tourism might be one way to do that... another is trying to win at livability rankings for people that make their decisions on where to consider relocating from lists. 

Charlotte is a city where a lot of white collar jobs can easily be remote.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rancenc said:

Another hyped economic development announcement from the past is officially naught!

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/08/03/robinhood-is-closing-its-charlotte-office-leaving-big-promises-unfulfilled/

the good news they did not get a dime of state money but it looks like another SF fintech has subleased their space see the Banking thread 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

I never see ads either. But, the connection between here and the NE is so strong, for so long, it's not needed there. I really am only there when out of state. Even Ohio has been sending folks down en masse over the last 25 years. I have 3 friends here from 3 different parts of Lorain Co. Aside from the obvious economic opportunities of CLT/RDU, you can't overstate what the military bases do to showcase the state. Major contributor.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TCLT said:

Quite an achievement considering the economic and quality of life powerhouses in the region like Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, and Tennessee that NC is up

And Texas and Florida and Virginia and Georgia. Are you willfully stupid or just an a-hole? I'm guessing it's the dreaded combo of both. Oh gosh, I forgot to make this blue... 

Edited by jednc
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

And Texas and Florida and Virginia and Georgia. Are you willfully stupid or just an a-hole? I'm guessing it's the dreaded combo of both. Oh gosh, I forgot to make this blue... 

Hey kunt, neither Texas nor Virginia are part of the southeast. Only having two other competitors is the definition of being easy to be a leader.