The Bad News Report

tozmervo

I've read through the thread discussing the issues with ParkScore and agree that some of their methodology promotes a different style of park than what Charlotte focuses on, but to say it is a worthless metric is being obtuse. Charlotte's "destination" parks like McDowell or Latta Plantation have to be driven to. There are not any public transit options to get to these facilities. Other nature preserves like Reedy Creek is over an hour and a half trip with a bus and 40 minutes of walking. It is nice to have these facilities nearby for those with cars to visit, but are inaccessible to many low income residents. Same thing goes for the neighborhood facilities that would "put public parks to shame", they are great facilities if you can afford to live there but inaccessible to a large segment of the Charlotte population.

Many of the small neighborhood parks located closer to the city have no public restrooms. Many dog owners here know there are very few dog parks in a metro area the size of Charlotte, and if you want to go to one, you're looking at a long drive. I know Charlotte is a driving city, but even if a family does have a car or two, what about when they are working during the summertime?

I love Charlotte parks! I think for the most part, they are well maintained spaces with good amenities, but I would hate to have our residents seek out flawed methodology in the studies and turn away instead of thinking about ways of improving our already great park system! And feel free to debunk the statistic of $48 spent per resident versus the average of $90 per resident, but I will always support increased parks and public amenities budgets. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JHart said:

I've read through the thread discussing the issues with ParkScore and agree that some of their methodology promotes a different style of park than what Charlotte focuses on, but to say it is a worthless metric is being obtuse.

I won't bother reading the rest of your response since you did not bother reading ParkScore's methodology and the forum topic you say you read.

For the uninitiated:

• ParkScore's bulls-eye is to have a park within a 10 minute walk... but ParkScore
    • Excludes all HOA (voluntary or otherwise) park amenities
    • Excludes all private parks open to public
  • This method favors a bunch of tiny "parks" which makes a city like Seattle look really good, yet Seattle has way less park land then Charlotte.
    • If you've been to Seattle and seen their 1/4 acre parklets, all those count... but its no different then a persons front yard with a bench.
  • The best example of their crap data is to list Eastover and part of Mayers Park as having "Very High" park need! talk about being clueless.
  • Take a look for yourself... https://parkserve.tpl.org/mapping/index.html?CityID=PS3712000
  • Notice how "the wedge" all the way into Ballantyne  is mostly in "high" to "very high" need of parks?
    • if you look deeper vast majority of these areas are neighborhoods with HOA maintained "not"-park land. That the neighborhood surely can access in <10 minutes. And has better amenities then many public parks.
    • Now, is that where CharMeck really should be spending money on parks?
Edited by Scribe
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I won't bother reading the rest of your response since you did not bother reading ParkScore's methodology and the forum topic you say you read.

Doesn't read response -> You clearly didn't read the methodology and forum topic...? Try reading what I said.

There can be an issue with their methodology because it does not fit into the style of parks that Charlotte has, but we shouldn't ignore the report of low public park funding, lack of facilities, and low walkability that a large portion of Charlotte has. The issues with classifying HOA maintained spaces and claim about Myers park and Ballentyne needing public funding for parks are valid complaints, but I highly doubt anyone is proposing public money needs to be spent in those areas. But if you look at the other highlighted sections from ParkScore, plenty of their highlighted regions closely align with low income, higher crime areas of Charlotte that could definitely use a public park or facility. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JHart said:

There can be an issue with their methodology because it does not fit into the style of parks that Charlotte has

It is not just about a style of park. It is about the fact that hundreds of acres of "park land" that is paid and maintained for outside public money (yet serves the public that lives within 10 minutes) is completely ignored -- de facto becoming a negative.

On the subject of spending...

Has a thought crossed your mind that Charlotte - with its "abysmally low funding" - maintains more then 2x the park land of Seattle? If we can maintain our mega parks efficiently, and utilize the "park-land" that our citizens already pay for in their HOA's as part of the calculus we can focus the tax dollars on the areas that really need to be focused on.

To borrow a quote from Bill Gates:

~my edition of the quote for this subject~

“Measuring ParkScore progress by dollars spent per capita is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.

Original quote:

“Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.”

How EFFICIENTLY you manage the money should have a higher priority then how much money you are spending!

From CMPD twitter feed about illegal parties and wonder what was happening here. (I think I know) 

Promoters will do a short-term rental on property and then hold an "illegal party." Usually, Tickets and/or alcohol are sold without permits. Remember: If you are paying and it’s in a residential area, be skeptical. If it’s in a business park and not a club, Be suspicious!

D8TguHOUEAAfZzx.jpg

D8TguHOVUAMzrnw.jpg
D8TguHQUIAAFqPh.jpg
2 replies1 retweet7 likes

Retweet

Direct message
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Suburban office tenants showing some signs of struggle:

Wal Mart is laying off almost 600 in accounting and financing office in Water Ridge (wtf is that name about?). Other suburban tenants taking a big hit over the past few months include  Sealed Air, Mass Mutual, Lowes and Family Dollar.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/14/walmart-laying-off-nearly-600employees-in.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Suburban office tenants showing some signs of struggle:

Wal Mart is laying off almost 600 in accounting and financing office in Water Ridge (wtf is that name about?). Other suburban tenants taking a big hit over the past few months include  Sealed Air, Mass Mutual, Lowes and Family Dollar.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/14/walmart-laying-off-nearly-600employees-in.html

Outsourcing to GenPact, just another reason not to shop at Walmart. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently the "Crime in Charlotte" thread was closed and archived 12 years ago. So yea, here it goes, can people stop killing each other please? I'm trying to move to Charlotte, and I'm tired of people murdering one another. 

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Apparently the "Crime in Charlotte" thread was closed and archived 12 years ago. So yea, here it goes, can people stop killing each other please? I'm trying to move to Charlotte, and I'm tired of people murdering one another. 

Amen. Another three people shot, 1 fatally, at the Steak and Shake by the 485 blue line station. :(

On 6/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, Seaboard Fellow said:

Looks like a damn good party to me!

Hah, I never thought about the fact that the parties I went to in College (and then would post on UP after) were illegal not just because my age, but because they weren't permitted.

1 minute ago, Dale said:

No. Point ?

Charlotte being 50th in Economic Mobility has arguably been the biggest news story in the city for the past 3 years. That The Atlantic story was more a profile on Chetty and the tools they are creating to help Charlotte and other cities move forward and change that.