Cookeville News

timmay143

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Hilton Garden Inn (5 stories, 130 units?) renderings for new Cookeville location

These look like the renderings for the dead downtown convention center hotel and parking garage development.  I hope this thing has been resurrected; any news your way @jmtunafish?

Last I saw, the site was listed for $5.5M by the development group Auxin.

Edited by tragenvol

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

These look like the renderings for the dead downtown convention center hotel and parking garage development.  I hope this thing has been resurrected; any news your way @jmtunafish?

Last I saw, the site was listed for $5.5M by the development group Auxin.

I haven't heard a thing.  I'd love it if the project were back on track although I still wish it included a residential component as well as hotel/conference center.

In other news, the new shopping center on 10th @ Old Kentucky has started accepting bids, and there are four of them:  the supermarket, a "food/beverage" building, an "office" building, and a "retail (other)" building.

Also, work has started on the Texas Roadhouse on Interstate Drive and the Starbucks on Willow.  Buff City Soap and Nashville's Well Health (Chiropractor) have opened at Shoppes at Eagle Point, making that shopping center almost 100% leased.  I also saw some workers at the old KMart building the other day.  It sold back in February, but I haven't heard what's going to happen there although I think it was bought by the same group who originally planned on building a Dave & Buster's type entertainment center on Walnut behind Publix.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

I haven't heard a thing.  I'd love it if the project were back on track although I still wish it included a residential component as well as hotel/conference center.

I also saw some workers at the old KMart building the other day.  It sold back in February, but I haven't heard what's going to happen there although I think it was bought by the same group who originally planned on building a Dave & Buster's type entertainment center on Walnut behind Publix.

I believe the Hilton site is still for sale; I think those renders are old...I found the designer who still had "YEAR COMPLETED Anticipated 2020."  I wish it were back on.

I heard the same about the old K-Mart; the Infinite Entertainment group supposedly decided to change from new construction to renovation and backfill; however, it was news that they had purchased the lot at Walnut and Veterans to build...makes no sense unless for speculation by them or their investors.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You'll see them all over in Texas.  They're a "MEGA" truck/car  stop. I went to one along I-20 south of Dallas... it's GINORMOUS.... and I have no urge to stop at another one again. There is one in Georgia now... but they have not seen me. They're known for their "food" options, but I have to keep to a strict diet. So they're not marketing to me. They do have unique t-shirts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

So... it's a truck stop?  

Buc-ees is as much of a destination as IKEA. Buc-ees is like comparing the Fifth and Broadway Assembly Food Hall to an I-90 oasis

Negative, not a truck stop. It's a 53,400 sq ft 'convenience' store that has 175 employees! That is bigger than almost all grocery stores!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Buc-ees is as much of a destination as IKEA. Buc-ees is like comparing the Fifth and Broadway Assembly Food Hall to an I-90 oasis

Negative, not a truck stop. It's a 53,000 ft 'convenience' store that has 175 employees! That is bigger than almost all grocery stores!

And I wonder what it will do to the existing gas stations in Crossville.  It will definitely help the sales tax receipts for Crossville--which could really use the economic boost--but I'm betting it's going to really hurt some of the existing gas stations along the interstate.  It's like opening up a dozen gas stations at the same time in the same place.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

And I wonder what it will do to the existing gas stations in Crossville.  It will definitely help the sales tax receipts for Crossville--which could really use the economic boost--but I'm betting it's going to really hurt some of the existing gas stations along the interstate.  It's like opening up a dozen gas stations at the same time in the same place.

We'll have to wait to see what the gas prices are in comparison, but it will absolutely impact everything from Cookeville to Harriman, and beyond. Pilot should take a pretty big hit. And it will impact all restaurants and more, as well. I'm thinking all 3 Cracker Barrels to Interstate Dr. It will be a while before it's open and by then the I-40 volume should be at a level where it will be a welcome relief to have!

The superstores have everything from food seasonings to home decor. Oh yeah, and food, did I mention they have food? lol

• Like 1

If I am driving on the way to some place I am sure not going to stop and buy a grill. Also with 120 gas pumps, the traffic getting in and out will be a pain. I am a get my ass in and out in under 4 minutes including the bathroom break, so these types of places are not my style.

When I drive such as my upcoming NY drive it will be 15 hours on the road max. All I do is stop to pee, gas up and grab food on the fly. Nothing else. My record is from Rapid City SD in 23 hours back to Nashville in one drive. I have my trips planned out and I have my stops planned out. Roadside attractions like these never appealed to me. The closest thing I ever did was Wall Drug Store in SD and that is a place that if you have seen it once you dont have to go back.

Call me me a stick in the mud, but a place like this has no appeal to me from outward appearances. Sort of like Shake Shack... I tried it and dint like it. Way too much hype! When you get older you have seen too much stuff to know the real thing from all the kid stuff crap like this. Now What-A-Burger was different for me. I liked the food, the service, the price. The have been around for years. I used to like McDonalds when I was a kid but now their food is crap. They have changed the ingredients to items that are banned in Europe as have many fast food chains including What A Burger. I do not eat a lot of fast food burgers any longer for that reason. I have gotten way off track, but this explains my mind set. I am very travel focused when I go somewhere and a meticulous planner, down to if I want to pay tolls or not.

You may be making assumptions that may or may not be true. The whole store is designed around ensuring that you have a pump when you get there, and after the last few weeks I get it now(thanks ransomware). Same thing with the bathrooms(not ransomware related). Now the first few weeks of it being opened you might have a problem getting a pump. So this place might be perfect for that 4 minute break :p

As someone who doesn't like long drives, these places are great and I can get up and move around. Also, when are we getting a Sheetz? I miss that store a lot...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1