Cookeville News

timmay143

21 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

A few updates from Cookeville.

The $62 million Ashraf Islam Engineering Building at Tennessee Tech is coming along nicely.

image.thumb.png.8acaee149184096342ce1e7d74967a83.png

image.thumb.png.1a37864e295456852714ba4acd0c7a5e.png

The greening of Tennessee Tech is continuing.  What used to be Peachtree Avenue is being transformed into a pedestrian mall.

image.thumb.png.b544d1b081d7d306e7e3b4f8bce958bd.png

image.thumb.png.7e248ec904e0815d12a37e83c85510cb.png

The parking lot behind the University Center has been replaced with a pedestrian plaza, and Foster Hall (pictured here) is going to be torn down to create a lawn between the UC (right) and the library (left).

image.thumb.png.b979b47f85d64197577826be92e62f71.png

Several new restaurants have opened, but a couple of particularly notable ones opened to great fanfare.  One, Drake's, is pretty big with nearly 200 employees and 53 televisions.  The only other locations in Tennessee are in Bristol, Chattanooga, Franklin, and Knoxville.

image.thumb.png.152f7c855b2f4a92dfd7e4634bc3d1d8.png

The other is Fire & Vine, a pretty swank, locally owned place in downtown's Westside entertainment district.  It's owned by the same guy who owns the posh Putnam House restaurant on the courthouse square, a chef who has won national cooking awards.  Fire & Vine replaced a very nondescript industrial building and has downtown Cookeville's only rooftop bar.

image.thumb.png.99bb6fd03f4b9ceb1bdb21e2daa6fd93.png

image.thumb.png.98baa0ef15c8575a5d774a18038d6d2f.png

Also in the Westside, an organic grocery store has opened across the street from the infamous Ralph's Donuts.  The store is run by the same people who run Meg's Bread next door.  Meg's makes the best croissants and baguettes I've had outside of France.  West Side Grocery uses as much locally sourced produce, meat, and dairy products as possible, even the ice cream, but most of its sodas are imported.  It's like an obnoxiously hip bodega.  But I still like it.  It also has an outdoor patio so we can enjoy Meg's delicious sandwiches, pizzas, and salads on site.

image.thumb.png.b68711e20e11570061872f37dee61647.png

Other restaurants that are under construction are Crumbl, two new Checker's, a 3rd Waffle House, a 3rd Wendy's, and a 3rd Domino's.  A couple of vacant lots on Restaurant Row have been leased, so there will likely be more chain restaurant announcements.  A Cuban restaurant is under construction behind JCPenney (sorry I didn't get a picture, but they've painted it Pepto Bismol pink).  A Filipino food truck is opening this week, and a Thai food truck should be opening in another couple of weeks.  There are rumors of a food truck park coming to the Westside adjacent to the Depot museum sometime this fall.

What used to be a dry cleaners downtown is now a coffee shop, but a coffee shop with a mission:  all the employees have a disability of some sort.  It's become wildly popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXs0-AS2Rgs

Several large housing developments are underway.  Two are by D R Horton, so far the only national homebuilder in Cookeville.  Timberwalk (stupid name) will have 300 homes, and Paddington Place will have 600.

image.thumb.png.03dcd3088ea0a62783382e8632871fcb.png

image.thumb.png.12116b7cf33bc719d920611ac8e02176.png

There are several other housing developments by local builders, but my favorite is the one being carved out of the side of a big hill behind the Honda dealership.  There will be about 150 homes here and a bunch of big retaining walls.

image.thumb.png.de9c7b8dfa8b5da0fb52fe7e0bd24194.png

Impressive! Houses from the mid-$300k!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I never thought I'd see something like this in Cookeville, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  A developer is proposing 850 new homes on 560 acres in an area just southwest of Cookeville/southeast of Baxter on Burgess Falls Road @ Ditty Road..  They plan on donating 16 acres to the county for a new elementary school.  This is the only image I could find that shows the proposed development (the county planning department doesn't update its webpage very often which is really annoying).  Since it's out in the rural part of the county, there's no sewer service and I can't imagine 850 new homes and a school all on septic tanks.  So I imagine it'll take a while to get all this done, but a friend of mine who lives on one of those side roads nearby said the farm that used to be on those 560 acres has already been demolished and metal utility poles have already started being installed to the area.  UGH.  But I guess this is better than 850 homes on 850 acres.

6615d74f9c2af.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C885

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

Yeah, that’s still a remote area. Burgess Falls might be able to barely handle the increased traffic, but last time I was out that way Ditty was still a narrow road. And I would guess most likely the route that would be most likely used , coming off the I-40 exit.

• Like 1

OK I found the planning commission agenda at the county website.  This is what they call a "concept plan" and not a preliminary plat, meaning it'll likely be changed quite a bit before earth is moved.  But it's still interesting.  And I agree with Luvemtall, Ditty Road will need to be upgraded all the way to I-40 in Baxter which should probably be done anyway, whether this neighborhood is built or not.  At any rate, social media comments are already fast and furious about this potential development, almost all negative.

Peut être un graphique de carte et texte qui dit ’3:16 putnamcountytn.gov 5of12 Highlands Planning Depart County Towne Munterey Kevin Rush, Planning Director 67Sout mAve. Cooketle, INS 98501 Tel: (933) 372-0071 (931)3 )372・0071 । PHAMET 5ナ 입국 FAREMENTLOCATON . 選 mmu IEAASAANE ITEM 9: Other Business: Submittal deadline discussion Last month, changed the regular meeting from the 1M 號 Tuesday month. We did not otch change the the submittal deadline from the 15ท suggest nging itto the 22nd next business day that sa holida’

• Like 4