Drive for 'Center City' retail

Urbanity

^ I don't really agree. Uptown is a decent trade area for large scale retail and we have the space to accommodate large scale retail in several projects currently underway. Any time spent on non-street level BS is time wasted in developing a viable street level retail landscape IMO.

^ I don't really agree. Uptown is a decent trade area for large scale retail and we have the space to accommodate large scale retail in several projects currently underway. Any time spent on non-street level BS is time wasted in developing a viable street level retail landscape IMO.

. I agree that large scale retail is more than doable uptown, my comment about the CCCP was directed at they can only work with what's currently available in terms of space while also pushing the private sector to build a large scale development. They don't have the resources to actually develop a large scale project

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a small victory for uptown retail.  Although it's small and caters only to women as of right now, it may provide some proof that retail can indeed survive in downtown.  I wish them all the best.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/12/uptown-boutique-provides-blank-canvas-for-these.html

That headline confused me a bit as there is a clothing store called "Blank Canvas" (this is just "Canvas") on Camden across from the LRT stop. There's also "Kanvas", a art gallery and bar, in 1st ward, though I have no idea if its still open. Anyway, great news, just maybe not the best choice of name given the landscape. 

So 2 projects that would be major boosts to our retail scene have gone silent. The BofA Plaza remodel and the low-rise on 5th St. by Connolly's. I am not sure if these projects or still in the works or what their status' are. Would someone in the know be able to answer what happens to projects like this? Do they lose funding? Get stuck in permitting and paperwork? I think these 2 plus the plaza construction/atrium demo at 101 independence would see us get a HUGE step forward in retail.

So 2 projects that would be major boosts to our retail scene have gone silent. The BofA Plaza remodel and the low-rise on 5th St. by Connolly's. I am not sure if these projects or still in the works or what their status' are. Would someone in the know be able to answer what happens to projects like this? Do they lose funding? Get stuck in permitting and paperwork? I think these 2 plus the plaza construction/atrium demo at 101 independence would see us get a HUGE step forward in retail.

So they are silent, things take time, some silence is expected. The Bofa Plaza Remodel wouldn't really have to worry about funding being lost, its being done by the building owner, who has deep pockets. As far as the Low Rise on 5th by Connolly's goes, there has been some action, but keep in mind there is very little precedent for what they are trying to accomplish, I'm sure getting planning dept approval and building permits is a little more difficult. Of the two, this one would have the possibility of being a funding problem, but I'm hoping that is not the case.

Edited by Guest

So they are silent, things take time, some silence is expected. The Bofa Plaza Remodel wouldn't really have to worry about funding being lost, its being done by the building owner, who has deep pockets. As far as the Low Rise on 5th by Connolly's goes, there has been some action, but keep in mind there is very little precedent for what they are trying to accomplish, I'm sure getting planning dept approval and building permits is a little more difficult. Of the two, this one would have the possibility of being a funding problem, but I'm hoping that is not the case.

It wasn't a matter of faith being lost because of the silence, just more or less curious as to what goes on behind the scenes in-between the time that something first sees the light of day, and when construction begins. The Plaza remodel is exciting and all, but I agree but the low-rise on 5th is EXTREMELY interesting, because to your point, there is nothing like it in town here and would certainly be something new and awesome for the city. I just want them both to happen now!

It wasn't a matter of faith being lost because of the silence, just more or less curious as to what goes on behind the scenes in-between the time that something first sees the light of day, and when construction begins. The Plaza remodel is exciting and all, but I agree but the low-rise on 5th is EXTREMELY interesting, because to your point, there is nothing like it in town here and would certainly be something new and awesome for the city. I just want them both to happen now!

Here you go brother.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-19%20at%203.04.4

Got a rendering of the building. will that help tide you over? LOL

(Disclaimer: I'm not complaining)

I wish it looked faux historical or retro.

Is this a restaraunt or retail or possibly a mixture of both? Any specific plans for it? My memory is rusty

Original Submittal suggested retail. The presence of a nearly 2,000 sq foot rooftop deck seems like it would suggest that as well. I have no indication of what the usage will be.

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00046&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

plans are actually up on accela. I really hope they do this project right, but at the very least, they're gonna widen 5th street and that needs to happen BADLY.

• Like 1

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00046&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

plans are actually up on accela. I really hope they do this project right, but at the very least, they're gonna widen 5th street and that needs to happen BADLY.

Accela says 3-story building.  Did they shrink the project?

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this cause it can fit into so many threads, but we were talking about this building here so I will put it here. So at looking in-depth at the plans for the 5th street building I came across some interesting figures:

"Total Building Area (Business Retail): 12,760 sq. ft."

"Building Area Roof Deck: 2820 sq. ft"

and even more interesting when it gets to parking

"Required for Nightclub (8,116 sq. ft) 109 spaces"

That seems like a MASSIVE nightclub and something that will take up the top 2 floors plus the roof deck.

Floors 3 and 4 are both 2648 sq ft (=5296) plus the roof which is 2820....= 8116. I'm inclined to think this may be awesome, a double decker club plus a roof could be epic for Charlotte, but at the same time seems a BIT like a waste of space. But if the other 2 floors have cool things, I guess it's whatever. This could also just be what they have in the plans and may never come to fruition.

ALSO, in the 2nd attached picture, it looks like the Connollys exit (that goes to the patio now) will remain and lead directly to the 2 elevators in the new building (presumably taking people to the terrace). What's also interesting is it looks like on the 3rd floor, it is going to utilize the existing 'adjacent buildings roof deck' with a 3rd floor exit from the elevator lobby. It seems like Connolly's is going to remodel their own rooftop for their own use, while the rooftop on the new building will either be utilized freely or just by the new club. This project has gotten very exciting all of a sudden.

Thoughts???

post-29263-0-78934300-1429060435_thumb.p

post-29263-0-85151800-1429061244_thumb.p

Edited by Jayvee

I wasn't sure where to put this cause it can fit into so many threads, but we were talking about this building here so I will put it here. So at looking in-depth at the plans for the 5th street building I came across some interesting figures:

"Total Building Area (Business Retail): 12,760 sq. ft." 

"Building Area Roof Deck: 2820 sq. ft" 

and even more interesting when it gets to parking

"Required for Nightclub (8,116 sq. ft) 109 spaces"

That seems like a MASSIVE nightclub and something that will take up the top 2 floors plus the roof deck. 

Floors 3 and 4 are both 2648 sq ft (=5296) plus the roof which is 2820....= 8116. I'm inclined to think this may be awesome, a double decker club plus a roof could be epic for Charlotte, but at the same time seems a BIT like a waste of space. But if the other 2 floors have cool things, I guess it's whatever. This could also just be what they have in the plans and may never come to fruition.

ALSO, in the 2nd attached picture, it looks like the Connollys exit (that goes to the patio now) will remain and lead directly to the 2 elevators in the new building (presumably taking people to the terrace). What's also interesting is it looks like one the 3rd floor, it is going to utilize the existing 'adjacent buildings roof deck' with a 3rd floor exit from the elevator lobby. It seems like Connolly's is going to remodel their own rooftop for their own use, while the rooftop on the new building will either be utilized freely or just by the new club. This project has gotten very exciting all of a sudden.

Thoughts???

That's great for nightlife.... Hopefully something for the day time goes on the lower floors.

• 4 weeks later...