The Good News Report

atlrvr

While I am very bullish on the Southend office market I would be surprised to see a 'real' financial firm choose it for new space. I would think a firm like this will want a 'high street' location.

Edit for idiocy

Edited by kermit

This is their existing building in Austin. Doesn't look very center city to me. Could work in gateway or south end though. Possibly north tryon but we need more than 7 stories there

Might not be much to look at from the outside, but the inside is gorgeous.

http://www.gensler.com/projects/dimensional-fund-advisors

To me a 105M pricetag for the space they are looking for, 200k sq feet +/- represents a modern LEED Platinum Building around 15+ floors decently close to Tryon. 

For a comparison Ally Center was $78M

With that said... This feel like SouthEnd or Baxter Place

Edited by Guest

Putting in my guess for the trinity site across from uptown.

arent they with cousins? they are taking temp space in 5/3 right? 

Edit: Will boye confirmed the last part  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/07/its-official-dimensional-fund-advisors-to-open.html

Edited by Crown

While I am very bullish on the Southend office market I would be surprised to see a 'real' financial firm choose it for new space. I would think a firm like this will want a 'high street' location.

I am a moron

from the CBJ: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/07/its-official-dimensional-fund-advisors-to-open.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2015-07-08&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1436383029

Real estate sources say DFA is in talks to lease space at the Fifth Third Center building uptown, which is owned by Cousins, and is interested in locating its permanent facility in South End.

At a Charlotte Chamber event Wednesday announcing DFA's plans, Charlotte City Councilwoman LaWana Mayfield also indicated that South End could become the company’s home. Mayfield represents the district that includes that section of town.

David Booth, chairman and co-CEO of DFA, says the company likes the South End neighborhood but is still evaluating its options.

The plot thickens....

Edited by kermit

Couldn't Tryon Place be complete around the end of '18? What's the advantage of building their own tower? Lower cost? Subleasing?

Tryon Place will be done by then, yes. But they will want to build their own, not lease from somewhere else. Jayvee and I are 90% sure we have the location figured out, hopefully we can confirm soon enough. Definitely SouthEnd though.

Edited by Guest

Might not be much to look at from the outside, but the inside is gorgeous.

http://www.gensler.com/projects/dimensional-fund-advisors

To me a 105M pricetag for the space they are looking for, 200k sq feet +/- represents a modern LEED Platinum Building around 15+ floors decently close to Tryon.

For a comparison Ally Center was $78M

With that said... This feel like SouthEnd or Baxter Place

So if this will be SouthEnd...will the building be urban or suburban? Just asking because their building in Austin looks suburban.

So if this will be SouthEnd...will the building be urban or suburban? Just asking because their building in Austin looks suburban.

Urban, they stated in the press conference that they wanted to "contribute to the urban core." I suspect decent density. 

Because they want to build their own place? Unless trinity would be building it for them.

Yeah I think it's VERY unlikely it's Trinity.

That makes no sense to me? This has got to be the Trinity site at 1000 South Tryon.

1. It has a Tryon Street address which I think is important for a financial company.

2. It is in South End yet very close to the heart of the financial district.

3. This is actually a very shrewd business move because it will allow their building and their brand to stand out without having to go to 30+ stories.

4. This is a 300ksf building which seems about right.

That makes no sense to me? This has got to be the Trinity site at 1000 South Tryon.

1. It has a Tryon Street address which I think is important for a financial company.

2. It is in South End yet very close to the heart of the financial district.

3. This is actually a very shrewd business move because it will allow their building and their brand to stand out without having to go to 30+ stories.

4. This is a 300ksf building which seems about right.

Now that the speculation is public on Charlotte Agenda. http://www.charlotteagenda.com/9140/texas-based-investment-firm-dimensional-fund-advisors-opening-east-coast-headquarters-in-charlotte-hiring-over-300-people/

There is a site in SouthEnd at Winona and South Tryon (South Tryon Address) that is under contract to be purchased for a Mid to High Rise Development, 300k sq feet, mixed use. The building that currently sits there is managed by Cousins who is acting on DFAs behalf in the real estate deals. Hopefully all these aren't coincidences. I guess we shall see. 

DFA stated they would be developing their own building that "contributes to the urban core." I don't think they have any interest in 1000 South Tryon because they do not have a track record of leasing, they have a track record of developing and owning only, if you looks back at their previous Headquarters sites. 

Edited by Guest

Now that Southend has officially become a Class A office market of its own I expect we will see a bit of a land rush to tie up viable office parcels (but not necessariliy build yet). Just guessing here, but my money is on the Catholic Dioceses (Carson and Church) being put in play shortly.

• Like 1