The Good News Report

atlrvr

Honestly I don't really want anything larger than 35 floors. I don't want to kill our chances for other buildings to come to fruition.

I want to see it above 35 floors. I have no problem letting Portman die in favor of a taller Tryon Place.

Now if Portman was the least bit interesting Street level rise, I'd have a different tune. Now on the other hand, I do want the SouthEnd office tower built,

I want to see it above 35 floors. I have no problem letting Portman die in favor of a taller Tryon Place.

Now if Portman was the least bit interesting Street level rise, I'd have a different tune. Now on the other hand, I do want the SouthEnd office tower built,

Its being built on top of a parking deck for a hotel, and itself. The street level cannot get any better, they can only sacrifice so much parking spaces. I am all for Portman Plaza (615 South College) and would love for every nondescript parking deck in Charotte to get similar treatment. At least they are including a spot for yet another starbucks. LOL

Here is the ground floor plan that i have.

post-17104-0-56645700-1414081641_thumb.p

615-South-College-large.jpg

post-24262-0-04895800-1381522180.jpg

This is much better than what is there now. 

post-24262-0-52252400-1381522179.jpg

Edited by Guest

If its the German company I heard about, then it would be much more straightforward than a major manufacturing incentive like Boeing or an auto manufacturer, or even the failed Dell deal from last decade. 

It is more of simply bringing office jobs to town with a North American HQ, similar to how we lured Siemens and Electrolux US HQ.  

I think we are competitive on those types of deals because we offer lower costs but still have an airport with direct access to key European cities.  

We will see how it turns out. 

Let's see, not VW/Audi since they recently moved to D.C., not Porsche, since they relocated/expanded in Atlanta.  Mercedes and BMW are in high-tax NJ, and given BMW's aggressive tax war with the local municipality that was settled this year (but clearly not satisfying BMW's sense that they are still over-paying) plus the proximity of the Greer, SC manufacturing plant, I'd guess BMW is considering it.

I've actually been surprised they didn't consider relocating to Charlotte or Atlanta years ago, when they consolidated Land Rover onto their corporate campus. 

Now that I'm lost in day-dream, their Roudel logo on top of Tryon Place....pure beauty.

• Like 4

Let's see, not VW/Audi since they recently moved to D.C., not Porsche, since they relocated/expanded in Atlanta. Mercedes and BMW are in high-tax NJ, and given BMW's aggressive tax war with the local municipality that was settled this year (but clearly not satisfying BMW's sense that they are still over-paying) plus the proximity of the Greer, SC manufacturing plant, I'd guess BMW is considering it.

I've actually been surprised they didn't consider relocating to Charlotte or Atlanta years ago, when they consolidated Land Rover onto their corporate campus.

Now that I'm lost in day-dream, their Roudel logo on top of Tryon Place....pure beauty.

So, is this a dream or a hint?

Just a dream based on bits of facts and rumors.  My sole knowledge is:

1. County met is closed session last week to approve incentives for some unknown relocation, and the City will this coming Monday evening.

2. Tryon Place is requesting zoning approval for a very large corporate logo on this building (makes sense for a consumer good tenant, as most professional services firms don't need that type of branding).  Unknown if this is for a specific tenant, or just to have the option to use as a marketing tool.

3. BMW has been suing the town in NJ where they are located over taxes and recently settled, but believe they are still being forced to over-pay.  Current North American CEO joined after they expanded in NJ, so may desire to relocate US HQ.

4. Crescent due-dilegence work clearly underway, and recently stated desire to break ground in 2015 (more definitive time frame than previously announced)

Rumors are:

US HQ relocation prospect in the works for Econ Dev. folks.

Tenant is considering Tryon Place.

German Automaker interested in Charlotte for US HQ.

So, some aggressive crossbreeding of fact and rumor led me to my wonderful day dream..

• Like 2

A BMW HQ would make sense with major BMW operations in SC and the largest BMW factory not far away. Plus we have flights to Munich (and Frankfurt)

That would be sexy as sin to have a building with BMW on it. And it would solidify our reputation of having a strong German investment in our area.

• Like 2

Are the rumors of which you speak, specifically the US HQ for a German automaker, being generated outside this thread? Did I miss something posted elsewhere in the forum?

Maybe I misread a previouos post.  I thought the German company hinted at was an automaker.....I said it was a dream, so I'll still throw it out there as a possibility.

This is not really good news per se-at least not yet.  However, I sense we have some on this forum who either know people in econ development or are involved themselves.  Given that hunch, I would like to make mention of two potential manufacturers Charlotte would greatly benefit from having and see if our ostensible insiders could provide the requisite ears with the following information:

1.  Kinkisharyo recently decided it would not build its new light rail manufacturing facility in Palmdale, CA after a dispute with a local union.  They are now looking for more business friendly states.  The prize would be a 400K sq ft manufacturing facility and 150-300 jobs (depending on the source).

http://theavtimes.com/2014/10/14/plans-for-kinkisharyo-plant-in-palmdale-derailed-by-labor-dispute/

2.  Mitsubishi Aircraft has just rolled out it's prototype regional jet to compete with Bombradier and Embraer.  According to one article, some in Green Bay, WI are looking to bring final assembly to that locale.  At the moment, I think the term "final assembly" is being used in a rather precarious manner, however any sort of large-scale aerospace manufacturing is always a boon to the local economy.  If Mitsubishi is truly looking at assembling the MRJ in the US, then Charlotte leaders would be unwise to not at least inquire.  It would certainly ease some of the unresolved heartbreak caused by the Boeing saga last year.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/money/2014/10/21/ashwaubenons-jet-air-expands-looks-grow/17676505/

Edited by cltbwimob

I know, I know I'm being impatient but I can't resist at least speculating.

I thought the process of Job announcements was the Chamber announces an Econ Development press release on a certain day. On that day, they announce a company relocating or expanding, the media writes an article on it and it seems to me that usually the relocations and such are announced before council or the county officially approve incentives. Maybe I never really paid attention and now I just have "Tryon Place Mania" and I'm completely wrong.

It seems more like The city is approving incentives to bid on a relocation in competition with other cities.

I guess we could find it today.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^  Yes, this is a preliminary step.  Usually if it gets this far, the city staff would have negotiated a specific package, and city council would feel that they have a better than 50% shot.

Anecdotally, announcements following city/county incentive approvals usually are anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks (assuming the company does accept the package).  There is a separate state approval process that would be happening now, though they are less transparent on timing.

Whether or not any of this is related to Tryon Place would be coincidental with rumors that a relocation tenant could be in play.

Wow, I was trying to say the opposite, that it wasn't manufacturer.  It would just be for office jobs of a retailer.  

Anyway, dreaming is fun, and I'm not sure if my rumor or supposition is the actual one being negotiated with.  Sorry for the confusion, but at least a few days of dreaming is fun.  

I hope any company is more stable than the Chiquita deal.   

Wow, I was trying to say the opposite, that it wasn't manufacturer.  It would just be for office jobs of a retailer.  

Anyway, dreaming is fun, and I'm not sure if my rumor or supposition is the actual one being negotiated with.  Sorry for the confusion, but at least a few days of dreaming is fun.  

I hope any company is more stable than the Chiquita deal.   

I actually know who you are talking about. LOL. I guess a mutual friend has been talking to us, talking about a tower anchored by the retail with the retailer having a store in the bottom of it.

I actually know who you are talking about. LOL. I guess a mutual friend has been talking to us, talking about a tower anchored by the retail with the retailer having a store in the bottom of it.

Interesting, I heard about the use of the retail space (from 2 independent sources), But not about that samE retaiLer Keeping office space in the building.

rumors....

Edited by kermit

CHIQUITA BANANA ACCEPTS CUTRALE-SAFRA OFFER OF $682 MILLION

And by the looks of it, Chiquita will become a subsidiary of Cutrale-Safra, remain incorporated in New Jersey and by the looks of it will continue to have offices in Charlotte.

The deal is expected to close by the end of this year or early-2015, I spy direct flights to São Paulo resuming early next year.

• Like 1