The Good News Report

atlrvr

^ I wouldn't expect and uptown location for this. Also the first few articles I saw mentioned only "Mecklenburg County".

Right. But they said they would lease initially... which I think opens the speculation door for a new building. Agree though, I'm not counting uptown as the first option because they seem more like an office park type company to me. Would love to be wrong though. 

Edited by wend28
  • Like 1

Interesting that McCroy just mentioned working with UNC Charlotte.  Makes me wonder if the space will be somewhere in UCity area.  

Michael Barnes who represents the area spoke as well and mentioned Light Rail Extension as well. 

Edited by Urbanity

My guess is its someone without large operations currently in the area, though that's purely speculation. To speculate further, I'd guess a large manufactuer (or possibly retailer) from a Great Lakes state. Some guesses.

Illinois Tool Works

Navistar

OfficeMax

Proctor & Gamble (just because we have a knack for stealing Cinncy HQs)

Parker Hannifin

Whirlpool

Some NJ companies might be tired of cost of business there. Some ideas:

Bed Bath & Beyond

ADP

Sealed Air

Of course, United Technologies is my secret hope.

Alright, got one!

• Like 4

It's certainly enough to be an anchor tenant in that building. Though a question for the board, aren't packaging corps typically office park type companies? Don't get me wrong, would love to see these guys anchor one of the proposed uptown towers.

Agreed.....Bissell has a building waiting to go in Ballywood.  Wouldn't be surprised to see it go there.

The fact that Charlotte is contributing incentives makes it seem pretty certain it will at least be in the city limits.

• Like 2

No matter where it goes - it's good for the city.   I liked that little logo/saying that was mentioned by the last speaker that was along the lines of Charlotte is the Corporate HQ location of the state.  (Not exact quote).   It's a little corny and not 100% true - but it sounds a lot better than Charlotte, USA!

I'm surprised no one mentioned Tryon Corners as an option. It will deliver in spring 2017 just like Portmant tower might could.

If it went uptown, I would rather it not be Portman as that would probably be bad news for Tryon Place.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Tryon Corners as an option. It will deliver in spring 2017 just like Portmant tower might could.

If it went uptown, I would rather it not be Portman as that would probably be bad news for Tryon Place.

Does Tryon Corners = Tryon Place?? And I reaaaaalllyyyy think we are way off from seeing Tryon Place anytime soon. I was informed that press announcement was just a publicity stunt to try to get an anchor (I guess that didn't work out??). It seems like Tryon Place is a bigger project than 300 S Tryon, and if that is eying a 2017 completion, I think there is no way we see Tryon Place by then too.

Does Tryon Corners = Tryon Place?? And I reaaaaalllyyyy think we are way off from seeing Tryon Place anytime soon. I was informed that press announcement was just a publicity stunt to try to get an anchor (I guess that didn't work out??). It seems like Tryon Place is a bigger project than 300 S Tryon, and if that is eying a 2017 completion, I think there is no way we see Tryon Place by then too.

Tryon Corner = 300 South Tryon

Tryon Place = Crescent Good Year

This article in the WSJ indicates that the move to Charlotte is expected to be fully completed by 2017... Some of the proposed office towers in uptown said they could be ready (specifically Portman) by 2017. Hmm. 

EDIT: Here's a big nugget:

"Besides combining the company's executive-level managers and its administrative functions, the new headquarters will house Sealed Air's product research and development activities."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/sealed-air-to-move-headquarters-to-north-carolina-from-new-jersey-1406123464?mod=yahoo_hs

Edited by wend28

And from the wsj article linked above

"Sealed Air will use the state's job development grants to recoup the company's lease payments on the headquarters building, which will be constructed near the Charlotte Douglas International Airport."

And some retribution:

"The largest block of jobs will come from Sealed Air's offices South Carolina where more than 600 positions will be relocated to Charlotte. Small contingents of office workers will remain in Duncan, S.C., and Danbury, Conn., following the move to North Carolina. Mr. Peribere said the company considered proposals for the new headquarters from five different states before settling on North Carolina."

Edited by kermit

And from the wsj article linked above

"Sealed Air will use the state's job development grants to recoup the company's lease payments on the headquarters building, which will be constructed near the Charlotte Douglas International Airport."

My guess would be Lake Pointe Corporate Center across from the new VA Hospital. Childress Klein seems to be getting a lot of these corporate relo build-to-suits. 

^ My gut says that the third announcement will be trivial (but I am just a peon).

At the risk of "mouth, horse, gift" disease I am bummed that we are up 1500 jobs, but are no closer to having an anchor for Crescent, Portman or Grubb. In addition we now have 300,000 sqft empty in the (soon to be former) AT&T building. I fear that we are still about 10,000 jobs away from getting all of those buildings moving.

^ My gut says that the third announcement will be trivial (but I am just a peon).

At the risk of "mouth, horse, gift" disease I am bummed that we are up 1500 jobs, but are no closer to having an anchor for Crescent, Portman or Grubb. In addition we now have 300,000 sqft empty in the (soon to be former) AT&T building. I fear that we are still about 10,000 jobs away from getting all of those buildings moving.

Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. I know already Tryon Place is very very far off, I would say Portman is probably the closest to getting started, and that AT&T building is going to be a tough sell (I think). At least we have 300 S Tryon!

I'm wondering if those towers need to start going before you see any one sign up?   The thing I give Ballantyne is they will build first and then market ready to move in spaces.  Not saying that's feasible for some of the sizes of proposed Uptown Towers - though I think Portman could.

I'm wondering if those towers need to start going before you see any one sign up?   The thing I give Ballantyne is they will build first and then market ready to move in spaces.  Not saying that's feasible for some of the sizes of proposed Uptown Towers - though I think Portman could.

I think those towers would find tenants if they got off the ground as spec space but I don't think the developers could get the financing. They'll need a scenario like 300 South Tryon where they secure a tenant... unless of course the developer had deep pockets with the cash on hand and willing to take the risk. I wouldn't mind seeing Tryon Place holding out a little while if it meant we'd get a taller building based on the anchor tenant. 

I'm wondering if those towers need to start going before you see any one sign up? The thing I give Ballantyne is they will build first and then market ready to move in spaces. Not saying that's feasible for some of the sizes of proposed Uptown Towers - though I think Portman could.

I am hoping that if any of the projects get significantly delayed or canceled, it will be the Portman Tower. Based on the renderings, it has all the architectural appeal of a refrigerator. (Actually I secretly hope the Portman Tower is canceled and the 40 story One Charlotte Tower is revived in some form)

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1