The Good News Report

atlrvr

8 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Yes. Bad news for NASCAR.

The Indianapolis 500 had 135,000. 

The Indy 500 accomplished those attendance numbers all while having more restrictive COVID-19 policies in place such as a mask mandate for the city of Indianapolis  and Marion County, IN. The attendance at Charlotte was definitely more reflective of demographics and consumer preference. 

2 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Yes. Bad news for NASCAR.

The Indianapolis 500 had 135,000. 

I'm not denying Nascar has had attendance issues, but that's not really fair.

1. Indy is the biggest race event in North America and far more iconic/tradition than the 600.

2. The capacity at Indy is 257k.

3. Just my opinion, but the 600 is way too long. The 19 race was a hair under 5 hours.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, InTheYear2000 said:

I'm not denying Nascar has had attendance issues, but that's not really fair.

1. Indy is the biggest race event in North America and far more iconic/tradition than the 600.

2. The capacity at Indy is 257k.

3. Just my opinion, but the 600 is way too long. The 19 race was a hair under 5 hours.

I'm def not bashing NASCAR. I used to be a huge fan but as drivers from my generation have retired I have lost interest. But Charlotte is NASCAR's home town and if they only drew 50,000 is not good. The Clemson/Georgia football game will draw a lot more than that.

Capacity at Indy may be 257 but I think they were capped at 135k otherwise they would have had 257k.

600 miles does seem a bit too long. I went to a 600 once and felt that way then.

257,000 is seated capacity. With infield, standing room, and General Admission it can be, and has been 350,000+

I recommend anyone with interest in sports, sociology of crowds, dynamics of logistical preparation, not to mention racing to attend an Indy 500. The experience is Woodstock EVERY YEAR.  The experience is worth the ticket, the sport part is extra.

Edited by tarhoosier

Speed Street should have reorganized and held the event this weekend (as normally planned but delayed till October).  Coupled with the ACC Baseball tourny Uptown, would have been a great opportunity to get a decent amount of ppl Uptown.  Despite, speed street not happening, it was good to see ppl back Uptown for sporting events.  Not sure the numbers, but I'm sure hotels/bars/restaurants got a nice little boost last week.  Panthers will be full force this season.  MLS starts next year.  Hornets will be at full capacity & should sell a lot of tickets next season.  Office workers are trickling back...Things will be okay.

Re: Nascar:  I enjoy the All Star race a lot more, but hopefully that returns to Charlotte.  

28 minutes ago, Ric0_0 said:

The Fortune 500 2021 rankings came out today and NC (esp Charlotte) had a strong showing. 

https://fortune.com/fortune500/

aw come on - they didn't give us  Lowe's and didn't give us Commscope.  I'd argue they're both Charlotte-area companies.  Instead, Mooresville and Hickory are in that list, with Lowe's and Commscope, respectively, as each city's singular Fortune 500 presence.

1 minute ago, RANYC said:

aw come on - they didn't give us  Lowe's and didn't give us Commscope.  I'd argue they're both Charlotte-area companies.  Instead, Mooresville and Hickory are in that list, with Lowe's and Commscope, respectively, as each city's singular Fortune 500 presence.

If we take Centene from St. Louis, that will put us at 10 Charlotte-area Fortune 500 companies.  

10 minutes ago, RANYC said:

If we take Centene from St. Louis, that will put us at 10 Charlotte-area Fortune 500 companies.  

One other note - if you look at many of our "competitor cities," Charlotte definitely coming across as a Fortune 500 HQ powerhouse with our current and certainly potential count.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RANYC said:

The "city" filter from the Fortune 500 isn't a metro area based listing, but shows the actual municipality / mailing address of the corporate HQ. That's why there are so many small towns / unknown names in that list, because many companies are actually headquartered in a suburb of a big city. It would be nice if they had a metro area filter as well to get a better idea of a whole area's Fortune 500 strength. 

It is also pretty incredible to see Lowe's closing in on Bank of America as the metro's largest company by revenue. They got within $5 billion and are ranked just two spots lower. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

The "city" filter from the Fortune 500 isn't a metro area based listing, but shows the actual municipality / mailing address of the corporate HQ. That's why there are so many small towns / unknown names in that list, because many companies are actually headquartered in a suburb of a big city. It would be nice if they had a metro area filter as well to get a better idea of a whole area's Fortune 500 strength. 

It is also pretty incredible to see Lowe's closing in on Bank of America as the metro's largest company by revenue. They got within $5 billion and are ranked just two spots lower. 

Yes, I can see the city-filter but just making a light argument that a metro-area basis for filtering is much for telling, insightful.

• Like 1

$45 M investment by GM into racing but no one can give the address of this new GM Charlotte Technical Center in Concord somewhere.  The first location was converted into the GM Defense unit and that was at the International Business Park in Concord.  

General Motors breaks ground on Charlotte Technical Center - Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site

GM and Chevrolet to open a new Concord site for NASCAR teams | Charlotte Observer

""GM declined to provide an official address as it determines the layout of the building and nearby access roads. ""

If you know where it is let me know....might be a FREE doughnut for you. 

Download (2)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

^It's being built on an empty lot behind the Hendrick dearlerships on Bruton Smith Blvd. 

thanks and I knew someone who know.  So it is between Hendrick Motorsports and the dealerships on BS Blvd. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Hickory is the 10th lowest?  That’s a pretty big cliff to fall off of right next to #6 CLT…

yes that sounds suspect to me especially since Hickory metro includes the whole county and down in Sherrills Ford they are building homes like mad. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

yes that sounds suspect to me especially since Hickory metro includes the whole county and down in Sherrills Ford they are building homes like mad. 

I would guess at some point Hickory will be in Charlotte Metro. Its currently in the TV market and should eventually have enough commuters to qualify.

Its also amazing how many houses are getting built between Ocala/Villages/Orlando, so this really puts into context how quickly Charlotte is expanding.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 9:59 AM, rancenc said:

Even with all of the restrictions lifted, these figures pale in comparison to turnouts just prior to the pandemic; even then, NASCAR's attendance has been in a precipitous decline since the 2008 recession!

[not good news but quoting from thread]
I have been to three different minor league ballparks in NC this year and my dad has season tickets at a fourth park (Durham). In every game the two of us have viewed (about a dozen in total) we have been surprised by the low attendance. Worse than a bad night pre virus in most cases. I’ll admit this is all from looking around, I have not looked at any attendance stats. But, both Knights games I attended showed most tickets sold on the web site, but I arrived to a largely empty ballpark.

What I take away from my sample of observations is that people are much more reluctant to return to big (crowded) events than we had originally assumed they would be. I just didn’t see any signs of a rush to return to normal at any of these games.

Edited by kermit

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

[not good news but quoting from thread]
I have been to three different minor league ballparks in NC this year and my dad has season tickets at a fourth park (Durham). In every game the two of us have viewed (about a dozen in total) we have been surprised by the low attendance. Worse than a bad night pre virus in most cases. I’ll admit this is all from looking around, I have not looked at any attendance stats. But, both Knights games I attended showed most tickets sold on the web site, but I arrived to a largely empty ballpark.

What I take away from my sample of observations is that people are much more reluctant to return to big (crowded) events than we had originally assumed they would be. I just didn’t see any signs of a rush to return to normal at any of these games.

I am curious about the Big 4. MLB night games I have watched have seemed full. NBA and NHL play offs are at capacity, but those are playoffs. I think the big one to monitor will be NFL, especially in pre-season. 

57 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am curious about the Big 4. MLB night games I have watched have seemed full. NBA and NHL play offs are at capacity, but those are playoffs. I think the big one to monitor will be NFL, especially in pre-season. 

As the NBA/NHL playoffs have shown, people aren't afraid to pack a house and that's indoors too.  I don't think the NFL or the Panthers will have any concerns about attendance this year.  I wouldn't judge attendance trajectory based off of preseason either (these are just glorified practices).  Back to the Knights, I know there's a big social aspect for these games, but if you're a baseball person, the Knights are dead last in the Southeast division.  Product on the field isn't great vs the Durham Bulls who are in 1st place which probably affects attendance numbers slightly.  I also think as more workers trickle back into the office Uptown, that should help too for week day games.  

• Like 1

Knight's are a rip-off. I predicted this a few years ago. When you lose baseball fanatics like myself it's only a matter of time before they enter the profit death spiral of reducing costs to make up for lower attendance which in turn  is driven by those very cost reductions and raising prices on concessions etc.