Southend Living

Riding my bike home after PMTNR, I was starving.  It was about 10:30pm.  Leaving uptown and heading south to Montclaire, I was sad to realize there are virtually no options available to pop in and grab a quick late night bite.  Even the freaking fast food places were closed.  I had to end up buying a sandwich from the QT on Woodlawn.  Are there any quick eat places that are open late in southend?  I couldn't think of any, and it made me sad.

After the 10pm school night closing time of places like Fuel and Chipoltle your only options are 1) Midnight Diner or Skyland, 2) bar food ( e.g. Icehouse serves relatively late I think) or 3) Nova's (but its really just baked goods).

The Ramen place (which should open any minute) may really help here.

Is Publix 24 hrs? If so their premade sandwhich selection is decent.

I don't think Publix was open, it was pretty dark from the backside when I was riding along the rail trail.  I actually thought "man, it'd be nice if we had a 24 hour grocery store option" because I would have been all over that deli.

Hopefully with this latest boom of added bodies to southend, we will start to see more late night food options becoming available.

I always wondered...the potato wedges from that gas station are incredible, but that's all I've had. So, for my once-every-six-month fried chicken binge, should I go with Price's or the Shell station?

You should have a once-every-three-month chicken binge and hit both haha. I eat fried chicken once or twice a month when I have a group coming back from a night out. We usually end up at that gas station since Price's is always closed by then, but it's just as good to me. Spicy or regular fried chicken, fried shrimp, corn dogs, wedges... We've yet to find anything to complain about. Hell of a place for a cheat meal.

I haven't heard anything at all, but I'm going to go ahead and pretty forcefully call BS. That may be the one thing that would get this town to actually riot, lol. 

Yea dude, my thoughts exactly, Tommys Pub is a dump in the middle of more dump. That part of Camden represents the little bit of small town urbanity that is left in the city. I would fly down there and raise hell myself.

The CM patio is now overrun with smokers and ain't the hangout it once was. Unless you can deal with clouds of smoke, everyone goes to either Craft or Sycamore now.

It still always packed whenever I go. I don't usually hang out there but go in and out at least once a week.

I work right by Sycamore so its become a frequent Friday after work spot, and I like that there are always a ton of dogs for my dog to meet, but its usually a somewhat bro-y (yes this is hypocritical of me after deriding the term hipster in another thread) and their beer is hit or miss. CM is still hands down my favorite hang out spot in town and I guess even as a non-smoker I must just not be very sensitive to it since I almost never notice when other people do. I would be nothing less than devastated if it were to go away, but I still think the chances of that happening are slim to none. 

Yea dude, my thoughts exactly, Tommys Pub is a dump in the middle of more dump. That part of Camden represents the little bit of small town urbanity that is left in the city. I would fly down there and raise hell myself.

Pack light.  It's warm down here.

:ph34r:

BTW...where were those suggestions for alternate food truck locations?

Is this where Furman's next 1616 Center is going, I heard he is working on a new boutique office and retail project. I figured it was going in the food truck lot only. 

As far as food trucks go...

• I would like for them to close off camden to car traffic on Fridays and park the food trucks right on Camden, put up police barricades and sell alcohol. 

• My other idea is along the sidewalk in front of Carabbas, Aveda, Southend Denistry, etc. Put a bunch of picnic tables. 

• Atherton Mill Parking lot after the Office Tenants close.

• Along Hawkins

• Or around this unused land with a single tree.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+Summit+Ave+%26+Kee+Ct,+Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.217346,-80.857903,257m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f7e583bb5e1:0x77da7b01ce70035b!6m1!1e1

Edited by Guest