***Picture of the Day***

Scott

Yep, I sure have. Here is a shot of the back of the Cathedral from Orleans Street, just a few feet away from the house I grew up in. :D

IMG_2409.jpg

Thanks, GRDadof3! I've never thought about Disney using the Saint Louis Cathedral as inspiration for Magic Kingdom, but you never know!

Okay thanks, that's an angle I rarely see. I do see the point about it being somewhat Disneyesque. But I'm pretty sure they modeled the castle from the Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay thanks, that's an angle I rarely see. I do see the point about it being somewhat Disneyesque. But I'm pretty sure they modeled the castle from the Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany.

It's more the way the cathedral sits in front of the other mid-rise buildings behind it, like the Disney Castle sits in front of Main Street Disney. Just an observation. :P

It's more the way the cathedral sits in front of the other mid-rise buildings behind it, like the Disney Castle sits in front of Main Street Disney. Just an observation. :P

Yeah I didn't think you guys meant literally. But just thought I'd throw out that tidbit of info in case anyone was interested. :D

That international center is amazing!

Thanks. That's obviously just a small part of the building. I have considered posting some more pics of it like I did with the Clinton Presidential Library.

I love the New Orleans shots NCB! Keep em comin!

I wandered into that Cathedral last summer, and my jaw hit the floor. Its unbe-frickin-leavable. I miss New Orleans

Thanks, man! :D And I agree, the Cathedral is beautiful both outside and inside. I remember going there for mass when I was a little kid, and staring at everything around the inside of the Cathedral in awe.

BTW, I've got plenty of New Orleans photos to post, mostly from the French Quarter, the Riverfront, and the CBD. :thumbsup:

Hope you guys don't mind all the New Orleans photos...

Here are a few more pictures from the French Quarter, all of these are looking up or down the historic Royal Street. In most of my photos from the Quarter, I was trying to catch both the history and architecture easily visible around, along with the street activity. :thumbsup:

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

Are those recent shots of New Orleans NCB, or pre-hurricane?

A couple of shots of downtown GR from yesterday.

Cranes, cranes, gotta love em!

149452772_042ffeb31f.jpg

Ionia Avenue Entertainment District in the historic Heartside Area

149452763_c56fd547e9_b.jpg

A lonnggggg shot of Ionia Avenue

149452756_3487e8cfc0_b.jpg

Very nice shots, Rod and GRDadof3!

Are those recent shots of New Orleans NCB, or pre-hurricane?

All of the French Quarter photos I've been posting are post-Katrina. Actually, nearly every picture I have of New Orleans is post-Katrina because I got my first digital camera in December '05. The last few French Quarter pics were taken about 3 weeks ago at the French Quarter Festival.

Very nice shots, Rod and GRDadof3!

All of the French Quarter photos I've been posting are post-Katrina. Actually, nearly every picture I have of New Orleans is post-Katrina because I got my first digital camera in December '05. The last few French Quarter pics were taken about 3 weeks ago at the French Quarter Festival.

Great job on them! You do your city proud.

Just call me Jeff. :thumbsup:

Great job on them! You do your city proud.

Just call me Jeff. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jeff! I appreciate it! :)

And the same can be said for you with Grand Rapids. I've never been able to make it up there, but it looks like a very nice and interesting city. Keep the great pictures coming!

Two buildings with two very different fates in New Orleans...

The Louisiana Supreme Court building recently underwent a major exterior renovation:

IMG_0997Custom.jpg

This old building on Canal Street, which had been sitting unused and was falling apart for years, was under demolision:

img1066bwcustom5rj.jpg

Interesting pics Nate. Just curious, are these building very close to each other? My pic of the day actually has some Louisiana ties to it. This trolley was originally in Ft Smith Arkansas but decades ago was sold and ended up in Bossier City Louisiana. Ft Smith decided to get their trolley system going again and bought it back.

img9237ss2kq.jpg

Interesting pics Nate. Just curious, are these building very close to each other?

I'm not sure exactly how familiar you are with New Orleans, but the Louisiana Supreme Court building takes up an entire block in the French Quarter, on the streets of Royal, Chartres, Conti, and Saint Louis. The building being demolished is located on the corner of Canal and North Saint Peters. The buildings are about 5 blocks away from each other, but thats a larger distance than it sounds like.

Cool picture, BTW! :thumbsup: