***Picture of the Day***

Scott

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, IC! :D

And that's a great shot of the skyline with the Varsity, which by the way I love! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you like my shot (and the Varsity, mmmmm..... :) )

I frequently find myself in the restaurant, so the parking lot there, which has a great view, is one of my favorite locations to take pictures of the city from.

Here's a slightly different version of the shot:

105019599_140874de5f_b.jpg

The Varsity is a local Atlanta (and there's one in Athens and Kennesaw as well, but the first was in Atlanta) fast food restaurant known for it's hot dogs, frosted orange drinks, and the phrase "What'll ya have?". It is a local landmark and many famous stars have eaten there.

Actually, the Varsity is the largest drive in restaurant in the world. It's definitely a classic American story of a boy done good. Frank Gordy's professor at Ga. Tech, just down the street supposedly told him at one point that he was not cut out for college and he should think about opening a hot dog stand. So he did. Check out the story behind the Varsity at http://www.freeenterpriseland.com/BOOK/VARSITY.html.

As it says in the article, lunch time can be nerve wracking for the weak at heart. It's important for customers to learn the ordering lingo in order to get through the line unscathed. DON'T DARE ASK QUESTIONS OF THE COUNTER STAFF!! A typical experienced customer order would go something like "gimme 2 nekkid dogs, 2 bags of rags, 2 F O's, and a peach pie - WALKIN". Of course if the customer doesn't know the lingo, the counter man (many who have worked there for decades) will translate for the grill staff. Nipsey Russell was a car hop there as a child. The place is set up in a rambling set of large rooms with TV's and desks for the customers to sit, eat, and view.

Their motto is (and it's posted all over the place) "Have your money in hand and your order in mind, so we can get you out of this line". But on game days at Ga. Tech, the motto changes to "have your money in hand and your order in mind, so we can get you to the game on time".

There's also the Jr. Varsity on Lindberg at Cheshirebridge Rd. that is owned and managed by Frank Gordy's daughter. And there's also a Varsity in Norcross.

Here are a few more images of the Varsity.

x4rczd.jpg

x4rd51.jpg

x4rd6h.jpg

x4rdag.jpg

And here's the counter during a very light period

x4rdc8.jpg

Edited by Simple Simon

^ That is a beautiful picture. I love old architecture.

Here is my contribution today of the demolition of Six Flags Astroworld. The photo was found on HoustonFreeways.com and the city is in the background. You can see the Rodeo going on at Reliant Staduim across the freeway.

IMG_0882_astroworld_looking_n-ne_2006-03-14.jpg

^ That is a beautiful picture. I love old architecture.

Here is my contribution today of the demolition of Six Flags Astroworld. The photo was found on HoustonFreeways.com and the city is in the background. You can see the Rodeo going on at Reliant Staduim across the freeway.

IMG_0882_astroworld_looking_n-ne_2006-03-14.jpg

Man, that's a depressing picture. Are there plans for that land?

^That's a nice shot. I love the skyscrapers reflecting in the glass.

Here's mine for today:

10006299ml.jpg

Looking down Farewell Street toward the old Colony House in downtown Newport.

Love it!

I get to see that building just about every day. That one and Trinity Church. And I never tire of looking at them.

Pretty cool that I check into this thread, where one can expect to find photos taken all over the country and the world, and the first thing I see today is a streetscape that I recognize instantly without any need for captions. Thanks for that! :yahoo:

It'll make a better picture when the Washington Square renovations are done and that metal fencing comes down.

The Neon Bridge (Texas Street Bridge) in Shreveport reflecting on the Red River. Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World is brightly lit in the background.

85059677_768f39c941.jpg

This photo belongs to Paul J. Whaley on Flickr. I don't know Paul, but I do know he has some great photos on his Flickr site so you might want to check his stuff out here.

Wheeling, WV has a city population of 30,000 and a metro of 155,000. It is an hour southwest of Pittsburgh and is the hub of the Ohio Valley region stretching through East Liverpool OH, Steubenville OH, Weirton WV, south through Moundsville WV. It had a population peak of 70,000, but unfortunately has seen its economic base diminish drastically. It was once a huge manufacturing center, producing steel, tubing, glass and countless other products.

Wheeling has played a very important role in American history. It was one of the early "gateways to the west" as an important Ohio River city. It is also the city where the state of West Virginia was formed. The Wheeling Convention in the early 1860s was where the western counties of Virginia seceded from the rebel state and remained with the Union. Wheeling was the first capitol of WV before it was moved to Charleston.

As mentioned earlier, Wheeling was a major manufacturing center. It has the country's oldest functioning suspension span bridge. It has the world-renowned Oglebay Park and Resort. It is a National Heritage Site. Its collection of Victorian architecture is one of the best and most extensive in the country. Wheeling offers many cultural and historic attractions. This city is really deserves a better fate than its seen in the past 50 years... it's just such an amazing little city. It has made some revitalization efforts... like the riverfront park in my photo.