Venue Tower at the BOB - 20 Monroe Live - House of Blues/Live Nation Venue

Sailor

Since it's a Detroit publication where the author may never have actually been here, my guess would be that comment was referring to Rose's instead? That's the only logical explanation I can draw.

The author is local (I know him); it's the West/Central Michigan edition of Crain's. I think Greg Gilmore is saying he wants to add a pond to Mangiamo...

Gilmore says: "The sale of the suites is the key to the addition." So it would seem that if he doesn’t sell the suites, the addition doesn’t happen. I hadn’t thought of that before. It's going to be difficult to sell those suites in this economy. Plus he has to pay a penalty to the city if he doesn’t start work by a certain date. The article also says work on the addtion could start in the fall. I guess he has a busy summer of selling suites!

Because no seats are fixed in place, the space can be used for anything: "concerts, a small auto show, blues festival, a marketplace, a nightclub with an international DJ for electronic music, a dancing-with-the-stars competition," he says. "It is really unlimited."

a nightclub with an international DJ for electronic music

I'm sold.

In reality, it sounds a lot like the rendering we've seen before, which really is perfect for the space because of its already existing uses still being doable with this building.

Edited by tSlater

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

The expansion project also would include a new concept restaurant inside The B.O.B. with a focus on house-made craft beers and “dining options that reflect more modern tastes” such as fresh oysters and other cuisine designed to be shared in a casual atmosphere.

The new restaurant would replace Gilly’s on The B.O.B.’s ground level and debut on July 1. The B.O.B.’s other in-house establishments, including Bobarino’s, Judson’s, Dr. Grins Comedy Club, Eve and Crush will remain open throughout the project.

No more Gilly's?  No more free lobster on your birthday? :alc: I hope the new place continues the free birthday lobster tradition...

• Like 1

4th, 5th time is the charm?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/02/bobville.html#incart_river_default

I have to say I like the looks of this better than the last plans they showed.

It is sooooooo much better than "Bobville". This will also fill in the area nicely without sacrificing the most holy outdoor Art Prize spcae.

• 5 months later...

"Bobville" delayed again.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/07/bobville_delayed_again.html

Kara Wood, city economic development director, said B.O.B. owner Greg Gilmore wants additional time to amend his development plan.

Wood said the “market has changed significantly” since Gilmore’s preliminary plans were submitted, and that he’s waiting to see what happens with the proposed $23 million Grand River restoration project and new development proposed behind the Van Andel Arena.

That doesn't sound like reasons to delay this project yet again.  This is Grand Rapid's version of vaporware*, a vapor-building.

*Vaporware: a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available

“market has changed significantly” since Gilmore’s preliminary plans were submitted, and that he’s waiting to see what happens with the proposed $23 million Grand River restoration project and new development proposed behind the Van Andel Arena."

None of those two projects have anything remotely to do with what "Bobville" was supposed to be nor would they have any effect on it either way.

He might as well have said he was waiting to see how a new strip mall in Grandville was going to turn out, or just be honest and say he's lost interest or don't have the money.

• 1 year later...

The BOB is looking for another construction extension:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/08/bob_expansion_redesign.html#incart_river

Personally, I think the city should say NO and open this up to other developers. If Gilmore wants to bid on it, fine, he can bid on it just like any other interested party. 

Joe

P.S. It looks like I wrote the same thing one year ago when they got another extension. :)

• Like 1

I don't think the Gilmore group really has an issue getting a liquor license. That is a pretty obtuse statement. Yes, they've had some pretty big issues at the BOB (resolved with a remodel) but remember that the BOB is one of MANY Gilmore properties. They have a pretty good reputation.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

If you go to page 132 you can see the outlined timeline for this project. Given the partners in the project, they seem pretty confident in its success. Also, notice that it now includes 112 market rate apartments. Given their timeline (and assuming any movement in a successful direction) we might see some designs in the not-so-far future.

http://grcity.us/city-clerk/CityCommission/082614.epsec.pdf

If you go to page 132 you can see the outlined timeline for this project. Given the partners in the project, they seem pretty confident in its success. Also, notice that it now includes 112 market rate apartments. Given their timeline (and assuming any movement in a successful direction) we might see some designs in the not-so-far future.

http://grcity.us/city-clerk/CityCommission/082614.epsec.pdf

I was thinking about this at work today. Please bear with me if I am stating the obvious. 112 apartments on that small plot is pretty significant. Plaza towers has about 120 some apartments and they take up 7 floors. But the footprint of the building is much MUCH larger then the plot at the BOB. So any building containing 112 apartments on that land would have build up. Considerably. Plus, they want to add retail and entertainment areas, and if they built those apartments, you would have to figure they put on site parking in the plans.... IF this is true and it gets built, that would have to be a pretty impressive building with only up to go, wouldn't you think?

I was thinking about this at work today. Please bear with me if I am stating the obvious. 112 apartments on that small plot is pretty significant. Plaza towers has about 120 some apartments and they take up 7 floors. But the footprint of the building is much MUCH larger then the plot at the BOB. So any building containing 112 apartments on that land would have build up. Considerably. Plus, they want to add retail and entertainment areas, and if they built those apartments, you would have to figure they put on site parking in the plans.... IF this is true and it gets built, that would have to be a pretty impressive building with only up to go, wouldn't you think?

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but the first 7 floors of Plaza Towers are hotel, and it is also chocked full of condo's as well yes?    112 Apartments is a significant,  but when you look at the foot print of PT across the street, remember it's not just apts. 

Plaza Towers, the apartments take floors 8 thru 14 - so 7 floors.  So Irony would be correct. Portions of floors 1 and 2 are some common areas for the apartments as well though and additional parking not included in the footprint.  (Floors 15 thru 32 are condos in PT.)

It does seem like it could result in some significant build-up.  Doesn't $5 million seem low for a project like this?

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but the first 7 floors of Plaza Towers are hotel, and it is also chocked full of condo's as well yes?    112 Apartments is a significant,  but when you look at the foot print of PT across the street, remember it's not just apts. 

Exactly. Over half the building (height wise) is condos. But the apartments stretch the width of the building, which is very wide. Still, 7 floors is still pretty significant, and with that many apartments in that small of a footprint, you would have to figure this new development (IF) would be pretty tall.

Plaza Towers, the apartments take floors 8 thru 14 - so 7 floors.  So Irony would be correct. Portions of floors 1 and 2 are some common areas for the apartments as well though and additional parking not included in the footprint.  (Floors 15 thru 32 are condos in PT.)

It does seem like it could result in some significant build-up.  Doesn't $5 million seem low for a project like this?

$5 Million would be low for a 112 unit apartment "tower." Even if you average 1000 square feet per apartment that's 112,000 square feet x at least $150/sf or $17 Million.

Figure about 10 apartments per floor so you you'd be looking at 10 floors plus a couple of floors of parking.

I might be completely off, but it seems that the $5million is the minimum that the project can cost as a part of the agreement. So as I read it in the document, it is simply saying that the project indeed meets that requirement. As I recall, the "venue" portion of the project alone will cost $5million, but we haven't really seen how much they anticipate the residential portion may cost.