UNC Basketball to win '08-'09 Championship?

Raintree21

Not only does UNC have th top recruiting class for 2008, all of their players who announced that they were entering the NBA draft have decided to stay in the hopes of winning a national championship. I don't know if UNC has had a better chance to win the title in quite a while.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They still need to learn to play defense to win it. As good of a player as Tyler Hansbrough is, and I do like him a lot, even though I don't like UNC much, but it was obvious he couldn't play defense when he matched up against another good low post player. Kansas absolutely ate him up down there in last season's final 4. I would like to see them win it, b/c I doubt my Buckeyes will be any better. Hopefully, they buy into the defensive end this season, b/c they can't outscore everyone.

They still need to learn to play defense to win it. As good of a player as Tyler Hansbrough is, and I do like him a lot, even though I don't like UNC much, but it was obvious he couldn't play defense when he matched up against another good low post player. Kansas absolutely ate him up down there in last season's final 4. I would like to see them win it, b/c I doubt my Buckeyes will be any better. Hopefully, they buy into the defensive end this season, b/c they can't outscore everyone.

I totally agree with the saying that offense wins games, defense wins championships. But when you are a scoring machine like Carolina was many games last year and are able to return ALL of your top players in addition to a top recruiting class, that spells trouble for everyone else. Defense sometimes isn't as important if you're drastically outscoring your opponents.

North Carolina will be a strong contender next season. I was impressed to see that several their players removed their names from the NBA draft to come back and play. That says a lot about the team. But I think its still early to start making predictions like that. A lot can happen between now and next fall.

I definitely think we SHOULD win, but it doesn't mean we will. You never know what might happen. Heck, we played our worst game of the year against Kansas. No one would have predicted what happened in that game. I think we could have had a very good chance of beating Kansas on any other day, it just wasn't our day and we weren't in the game. So you never know. I think we were favorites this year, it just didn't happen. Hopefully it will finally happen this upcoming year.

I definitely think we SHOULD win, but it doesn't mean we will. You never know what might happen. Heck, we played our worst game of the year against Kansas. No one would have predicted what happened in that game. I think we could have had a very good chance of beating Kansas on any other day, it just wasn't our day and we weren't in the game. So you never know. I think we were favorites this year, it just didn't happen. Hopefully it will finally happen this upcoming year.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the ACC over rated?

ok maybe not the ACC, but the top ACC teams.

It seems to me that UNC although clearly the pre season #1 is not playing anywhere near their potential, and they are being ranked by potential rather than performance.

Duke is very good, but not top 10.

Wake is also very good, but not top 10

Clemson is accurately ranked.

I am not saying that these teams will do poorly in the tournament, hell UNC may well win especially if they play up to their potential. But it seems to me that Duke is living off its rep right now. watching the games they do not look like a team that should have been ranked #1 at any time. same with wake.

I think after last night the ranking will look like they should. or at least give the ACC teams in question the ranking they deserve.

Wake is doing a fine job of proving me correct. and Duke got beaten badly at home and that looks about right to me.

UNC played to their potential, so that was good to see.

I dont mind UNC being ranked at #3 any more. But if they are put above Oklahoma it would be a shame. OK deserves their ranking.

Xavier losing is in a way expected. it had to happen eventually. Dayton should be ranked.

but 2 in a row was weak.

I am really looking forward to UCONN PITT on Monday. to me that is really the battle of the big yeat right there.

And if UNC continues to play like they did against Duke, I will say the nastiest team in the USA is peaking at the right time.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we shall see....UNC did hold onto the #1 ranking longer than any other team did this year..the other # 1's seemed to be dropping like flies thru-out the season! The UNC/Duke game last Sunday was entertaining! 2 STRONG teams in a STRONG Conference (ACC)...

IT's THAT TIME of YEAR AGAIN!!! Ready for some MARCH MADNESS!! :yahoo: Get ready to fill out some brackets!! This is when it really matters!! Along with UNC & Duke... Oklahoma, U Conn, Pitt and Louisville have looked strong! Can't count out Memphis, Kansas and Gongaza too!! Wake Forest and Michigan State also seem very capable! Who's gonna be the "sleeper" team this year?? Siena?? Va. Commonwealth; East Tennessee??

And congrats! to North Dakota State for getting an Automatic-bid their "1st Year Eligible" winning the Summit Conference!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, not only did Wake lose...they were whipped by #13 seed Cleveland St 84-69

But not as many upsets this year..all #1's, #2's & 3's are in the Sweet 16....

The Big East is strong indeed! But there are a 16 Team Conference...probably the largest of all??

The "Elite 8" is SET!!!! Four #1's...Two #2's...and Two #3's left!! Michigan State had to rally to beat defending Champ Kansas 67-62! UNC routed Gonzaga; Oklahoma looked impressive beating Syracuse' Pitt held off Xavier! Villanova spanked Duke! Louisville destroyed Arizona! Mizzou outscored Memphis! UConn no problem with Purdue.

SATURDAY

EAST REGIONAL

#1 Pitt (31-4) vs.

#3 Villanova (29-7)

WEST REGIONAL

#1 U Conn (30-4) vs.

#3 Missouri (31-6)

SUNDAY

MIDWEST REGION

#1 Louisville (31-5) vs.

#2 Michigan State (29-6)

SOUTH REGION

#1 UNC (31-4) vs.

#3 Oklahoma (30-5)

^Actually UConn's Men LOST to Michigan State 82-73 on Saturday...UNC handled Villanova 83-69.

****CHAMPIONSHIP GAME***

Tonite!!

North Carolina (33-4) vs

Michigan State (31-6)

>>A rematch of a "blow-out" game that happened in early December...hopefully the Spartans can at least give them a game this time around?? The Tar Heels have been impressive thus far in the tournament; in conrol of all the games(Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Nova'); only in the 2nd half- were they ever down(LSU ) for a short-time...

Archived