Rida Development Corp's Mixed-Use Complex [Under Construction]

MaXxlife

The view looking south down Orange with BOA in the background begs the design for the as-yet-to-be-developed portion of that lot to exceed BOA in height on the south side, and slope down to the low/mid-rise apartment portion.   A design like that would be a stunning application of contextualism and help this whole lot/area of town make sense.  A pipe dream, I know...

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

I know we've discussed how we all pretty much wish that this was a high rise instead because of its prime location and the lost opportunity here, but the interesting thing is that there have been high rise proposals for elsewhere in downtown that look like they'll get built that seemed less likely than a high rise at this location:  Tremont and Univesity Club.  I would even throw in Skyhouse for where and when it was built.

I think downtown is going to get the highrises but maybe not where anticipated or preferred.  This makes me like this building much more now.

A big factor in this project is the land.  This development is being built on over six acres of land, while the other projects you mentioned are being built on less than two acres.

Spec-wise, the projects are delivering comparable office/retail/residential space.  Financials come into play.

The question now is why would you put a high rise here? It would be more of a vanity project. We still have a lot of good sites available and this location does not compare to other high rise compatible sites. 

Actually, the two previous posts make sense.

The size of the parcel might have contributed to the reason why a high rise development never came to be on that site. Because of the overabundance of acreage, a mere high rise & parking garage just wouldn't have filled it up. A lot more surrounding construction would have been necessary, which of course would have required a much higher capital investment.

On the other hand, of course, a single high rise & garage could have been built with the remaining portion set aside for future use, but such a large parcel would have commanded a significantly higher price, meaning a lot of very expensive land would have sat there empty for years, not producing income for the owners.

It's possible that the size of the lot just made it unfeasable for high rise construction given what the office market was around here.

This is why I'm a firm believer that incremental development and infill is the key to a successful pedestrian oriented city. Monolithic developments so often fall to live up to their potential because the architecture and sheer size is homogeneous, losing the pedestrian scale that we all come to love in places like Thornton Park, S Eola, or Winter Park.

This may be an unpopular statement but I also fear that 420 S Church Street is another "out of scale" development that would have been better off chopped up into two or three smaller (and higher?) projects.

Sarcastic commentary on the lack of inspiration reflected in the design of the project in question?

The inference being, I suppose, that Crescent Central Station more resembles the type of apartment blocks commonly seen in photographs of Moscow than what one would imagine a modern upscale development in sunny Orlando, Florida to resemble.

At least that was my interpretation, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Sarcastic commentary on the lack of inspiration reflected in the design of the project in question?

The inference being, I suppose, that Crescent Central Station more resembles the type of apartment blocks commonly seen in photographs of Moscow than what one would imagine a modern upscale development in sunny Orlando, Florida to resemble.

At least that was my interpretation, anyway.

Thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am still perplexed by the color scheme used on the building facade.  I'm all for colorful buildings (who doesn't like South Beach, Key West, or New Orleans) but only when it's executed properly.

In contrast, I'm impressed by Artisan 420 and think this really blends well with the surrounding area while still presenting some unique architectural elements.  My hunch is that over time, as Crescent ages, the color scheme will be changed to reflect more subdued tones.

Archived