Rida Development Corp's Mixed-Use Complex [Under Construction]

MaXxlife

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

Ivey's:  How about the Lord & Taylor building at Florida Mall?  That was there for maybe 6 years.  they had leveled the Parisian to build it then L&T closed all of their southern stores.

^^

Filling in empty lots:  I feel like a broken record on this subject.  But I'm very pleased to see this being done.  its as simple as ghost town vs lived in.  I mean, just look at the corner of Colonial & Orange compared to 2 years ago.  Night and day.  And when The Sevens breaks ground, it will nearly complete the transformation.  All of the great urban neighborhoods have, more importantly than tall towers, all of the lots filled in with sidewalk to sidewalk development.

Personally, I think the Sentinel's massing study was a cop out; it wasn't even as "urban" as the RIDA lot.  It was more Steelhouse-ish or even less than that.

I think in Orlando's case, the market may have initially misjudged just how popular downtown is going to be after the completion of the venues and with the proposals for UCF Downtown and the like - these midrises may be a way to hedge bets until developers know for sure. Heaven knows, stucco on plywood is easily enough replaced with a good tropical storm blowing through town - let's hear it for climate change!

I think that was the case in 2000, when the first large wave of residential came in. The projects now look at income to determine what type of building to build. If you know you will only get $1,500 on average fora unit, that is what you will build to. 

And as much as everyone hate stick frame, they will probably be here for a long time. Unless it gets cheaper to build high-rise. Lake Eola heights is full of stick frame homes, and they are sill here. 

^^

Ivey's:  How about the Lord & Taylor building at Florida Mall?  That was there for maybe 6 years.  they had leveled the Parisian to build it then L&T closed all of their southern stores.

^^

Filling in empty lots:  I feel like a broken record on this subject.  But I'm very pleased to see this being done.  its as simple as ghost town vs lived in.  I mean, just look at the corner of Colonial & Orange compared to 2 years ago.  Night and day.  And when The Sevens breaks ground, it will nearly complete the transformation.  All of the great urban neighborhoods have, more importantly than tall towers, all of the lots filled in with sidewalk to sidewalk development.

Personally, I think the Sentinel's massing study was a cop out; it wasn't even as "urban" as the RIDA lot.  It was more Steelhouse-ish or even less than that.

The massing study has more to do with determining value vs actual building. I cannot remember the height of the buildings, but 6 stories is probably the max for the area. 

Well before the market crashed, Orlando had a lot of proposed high rise skyscrapers. Now it's been a shift in mid rise. Later on it might be a shift back to the high rise. I think downtowns buildings represent cities empowerment. (Miami, New York, Los Angeles)

^^

I agree with that, except the examples should be NYC & Chicago with all other cities a distant third; not to split hairs.  Miami is more a product of speculative investing in condo high rises...still.  And LA, for its size, doesn't have much compared to NYC and Chicago.  Houston is more built up downtown.

Orlando is a lost cause regarding high rises.  City Hall needs to re-zone downtown.  Period.  They need to do it now too.

It pretty much boils down to Orlando being a small town with a ton of people.  That isn't a bad thing, but Orlando isn't built to be a small NYC or Chicago or even a small Miami, for that matter.

I would agree that LA isn't in the same ballpark as NYC & Chicago in terms of big city.  LA has an insane population, but they aren't even in the same universe when it comes to big city.  Houston is kind of like the love child of LA's sprawl and NYC's big city.  It's a must-drive-everywhere version of a big city.  It's whacky and in a category all by itself.

It pretty much boils down to Orlando being a small town with a ton of people.  That isn't a bad thing, but Orlando isn't built to be a small NYC or Chicago or even a small Miami, for that matter.

I would agree that LA isn't in the same ballpark as NYC & Chicago in terms of big city.  LA has an insane population, but they aren't even in the same universe when it comes to big city.  Houston is kind of like the love child of LA's sprawl and NYC's big city.  It's a must-drive-everywhere version of a big city.  It's whacky and in a category all by itself.

Because this oxymoron make perfect sense. 

^^

higher minimums for density- yes.

But I also agree that it could also hinder other less dense developments.  Maybe this is the way to go.  Maybe keep building what they're building; increase the downtown population substantially as they are doing, and with the increase in population, newer taller projects will ultimately evolve as a result.  I actually feel like this is the direction things are headed.

Its funny though.  With every new project that breaks ground, I realize more and more just how non-dense downtown actually is with residential.

Well, we should be seeing movement very soon on The Sevens I gather; not too far up the road from Crescent.  And Crescent's closest neighbor that is u/c, Lexington Court, has its concrete pylons almost all up; they should be forming the concrete slab of level 2 pretty soon if they are following the same construction pattern of Crescent.  Also, they should be forming its garage soon as well.

Because this oxymoron make perfect sense. 

It actually does.  Orlando has so many part-time residents (people on vacation, snowbirds, convention center guests, Europeans here for 4-8 weeks at a time, etc.) that it often appears to be much larger than it really is.  It is only the 77th largest city in the country.  It is also a very young city, having only been in the Top 500 largest cities in the US for about 35-40 years.

There are many active members of local politics that were around when this town was basically a rest stop between Jax & Tampa or UF & UM.

The fact that the surrounding metro area is massively wide (bumping Orlando up to 20th or 27th in the nation, depending on whether you go all the way up to Daytona/down to Lakeland or stop at Sanford/Davenport) doesn't help the downtown core.

The problem is for a city of 1.2 millions, the downtown doesnt reflect that...if everything located on I-drive merge with downtown, that put us closer to a real 1.2 mill city

Where does that number come from?

There are ~250K in the Orlando city limits.

There are about ~2.3M in the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area (up to Sanford, down to Davenport)

There are about ~2.9M in the Orlando–Deltona–Daytona Beach, Florida Combined Statistical Area (up to Daytona, down to Lakeland)

Source: US Census http://www.census.gov/popest/data/index.html

ETA:

I think I see where that number comes from.  Orange County has a population of ~1.2M but I don't think the county population accurately reflects much of anything with the actual area.

^^

yeah.  You know Orlando metro is spread out- similar to Atlanta in a way.  the problem is that the city itself has a low population.  if you look there are other cities that have smaller metros but larger city centers than Orlando.  It's a joke.  This is one of the reasons all of this infill is so critically important.  They need to really keep it coming.

^^

ditto on doubling the size of the RIDA project.  I can see Crescent from my window.  It really should have been a minimum of 10 stories (if it were to be considered a "short" tower compared to Skyhouse).  Six stories really is too small. 

But I think the City is just happy that RIDA built SOMETHING.  Maybe their design philosophy will change on later phases.

• 1 month later...

Have the people lost in the mess of the Slantinel downsizing all moved to the OBJ?  There has been a serious downgrade in quality over the past year or so.

Agreed.  It's full of speculation now, and they seem to report developments as though they are a given prior to any official paperwork being filed or evidence to support them.  A webiste being refreshed does not equal a high rise...

I like to think of Bungalowers work as a perfect market response to that mess

I love Matt's work and I have heard a lot of praise for him (personally) when he's mentioned among my friends/colleagues who have crossed paths with him since his old gig @ the Slantinel to today.

However, most of my interest in Orlando takes place well outside of the Bungalow districts.  It's a great niche and I love reading his site, but it's not my niche.

• 1 month later...

When does phase 2 start? I'd imagine they're going to have a very difficult time selling the units facing south overlooking the dirt pile/construction area.

That being said, I can't wait for this to finish and add some sort of retail/restaurant/bar to go in to give more people a reason to go up orange that far. I live in 55 west and rarely find myself going north of Washington on orange. Hopefully with whatever goes in here, the new retail restaurants in Nora, and whatever restaurant goes in the new hotel at 50/orange, there'll be a better reason to move further up orange.

Archived