SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Just wanted to share the bullet points from the meeting the other night and share the 'South End - Good to Great' brochure which is just a nice colorful overview of the 6 main focus areas.

The 2 main areas covered at the meeting were:

1) Review & update of 'The South End Strategic Plan' and how SENA/CCP are implementing the recommendations in this plan.
- The retail study is complete and will be released soon,
- The parking study is about to begin,
- $140K to be invested in new street furniture (benches, trash/recycle cans, bike rack, planters) throughout all of South End
- visioning study underway for the Rail Trail
- land acquired by Park & Rec for a future park space.

2) New brand campaign launched.
- SENA/CCP worked with Doggett Advertising (a South End firm) on the creative for a new South End campaign and shared some of the ads you will see in print, TV and radio.
- Also part of this is the completion of a new South End website…http://www.historicsouthend.com of which we also used a South End firm, CGR Creative.
hse2013-wherefull-marapr-o-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hse2013-wherefull-marapr-o-2.jpg

I wonder how many meetings they had before deciding to drop the "... in South End" after 'Now Get Lost', because ultimately it should not have been.  Whether one "gets" it or not, psychologically most are still left with a bit of irked-ness.

Edited by nowensone

Yeah, I'm not sure if it is the capital letters, or the period right after it or what, but it does kinda come on strong.  I like the motto, but something about the way it is portrayed just lays the hammer.  Personally I find it funny, but I'm interested to see how others take it.

I like it overall look of the campaign and the logo.  I do laugh at the notion that South End has even a plausible amount of shopping and entertainment options to be a destination neighborhood that approaches the idea of getting lost in all the available choices.   But, hey if they get a tourist to buy it - why not?  

I wonder how many meetings they had before deciding to drop the "... in South End" after 'Now Get Lost', because ultimately it should not have been.  Whether one "gets" it or not, psychologically most are still left with a bit of irked-ness.

I can understand your point of view, but the whole marketing campaign is meant to be a bit  'tongue in cheek'.

Here's a few more that are similar in their wording.

new-gallery-crawl-ad.jpg

and then the one run during the holidays

hse2012-holiday-41.jpg

Regardless if you like them or not, they got you talking about them, and that's the whole idea ;)

OK, context understood now, if the others are prominent and noticeable with the Now Get Lost one then it works.  Tongue in Cheek or not though, if the person doesn't know that, then the marketing has done harm, whether I'm talking about it or not.  I must spend alot of my time (ahem, work) with too many stupid people, always have to be mindful of what they don't get or don't notice (and other lesser traits).  :)

Drove by 330 W. Tremont today, which is speeding along. It looks more or less like 1225 S. Church, yet significantly better IMO because most of the podium parking is buried, and they are using a good deal more brick up the full height of the building in places. It is strange though to have balconies fronting Tremont that hang 2 feet above the ground instead of patios. 

Has anyone tracked down a rendering of the Faison project at Church & Summit? I am concerned about that one given that I think the location has a lot of potential. I think that Gateway West and Park & Kingston, judging by the renderings, have shown that podium parking can be tolerable when hidden by retail or lobby space, but I'm not sure there's room to do much with that at this site.

• 2 weeks later...

Fencing is up at West & Camden for demolition at the Centro site! This is a bit earlier than expected right? Seeing the extent of the site in person you realize just how massive this project will be. I remember we were told 9,000 sqft of retail, and I'm unsure just how much street frontage thats going to equate to. Hopefully it is 5-6 smaller units and not 1 giant restaurant space. 

Hope to see a rendering soon, and hope that there isn't too much of a lull between demolition and the start of site work. 

Now I'm depressed, there were 4 projects from the 2007s that were never even announced on there, and they were SEXY and tall for SouthEnd

Wow. I just flipped through some of those proposals too. The 1930 Camden proposal would have really stood out in SouthEnd. Same with the West Worthington one. 

100% yes. Its inevitable in my opinion especially once 277 is capped. Id place my money on SouthEnd becoming part of the Uptown skyline before Levines Epcott wonder land comes together.

Uptown & SouthEnd will be 1 soon (relative to how fast we grow etc) The uptown parcels are dwindling these days

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I remember a long time ago there was talk of a development in South End possibly including a hotel. It was not the Simpson Lighting site. Anyone know what happened with this? Did it just fall through because of the economy?

There was the Design Center Tower, and there was a Hotel proposal that was supposed to replace the parking lot and the next three lots over towards Hawkins St. There was ALSO a hotel on the corner of East and Cleveland at one point that didn't happen.

From my understandng, South End's current zoned parcels includes height restrictions to midrises. Only the West & Camden lot were the height restrictions not included, that is why that project will be the approximate height of The Ashton. Unless SENA/CCP revises this with the city I doubt we see any towers that far down (especially in the Camden Square area) IMO these developments would fit better in the empty parking lots of north South End/ above Carson. Also, the CHA's Strawn Tower renovation is complete and I would love to see the Stawn Master Plan begin implementation as helping bridge te gap of N. SouthEnd/ Uptown.

The architect for the East/West project is Axiom architecture and from the (dated) rendering on their website, the project is going to be 4-stories of residential over retail. Classic mid-rise.

http://axiomarchitecture.com/projects/on-the-boards/centro-studios-southend/

That is the former version of the project. The project has sense been increased from 175 units to nearly 400. It will be 10-12 floors.

I'm OK with not having huge towers in Southend. I think a few 10-15 story projects here and there are nice, but I kind of like the mid-rise vibe. Like the feel of Gateway Village. I think density > height. I just hope we start seeing more retail like at the West & Camden project (assuming it is broken up into a few parcels as mentioned above instead of one huge one), and that future mid-rises are more thoughtfully developed than some of the ones currently under construction.

• Like 1

That is the former version of the project. The project has sense been increased from 175 units to nearly 400. It will be 10-12 floors.

The site is 3.5 acres and last publication stated around 325 units. Standard density for a mid-rise (4-5 stories) is 75-90 units/acre. I assure you it will be mid-rise and NOT 10-12 floors. 10-12 floors on that much acreage would yield upwards of 700+ units.

I'm excited for this infill to continue.  Once South end hits maximum capacity on land, you will start to see these 10-20 story mid rises start poking up.  I think it is inevitable.  Especially as South end continues to develop, not only as a livable district, but as a "destination".  I envision it becoming Charlotte's Back-bay (obviously not the extent of Boston's, but I assume you understand my correlation).

The site is 3.5 acres and last publication stated around 325 units. Standard density for a mid-rise (4-5 stories) is 75-90 units/acre. I assure you it will be mid-rise and NOT 10-12 floors. 10-12 floors on that much acreage would yield upwards of 700+ units.

I'm sorry but I respectfully beg to differ. Ashton South End sits on a similar acreage and contains 310 units. Camden West Blvd will be oriented similarly, have some of the largest units in the market and be 325 units. Previous design spanned the same 3.5 acres and included 175 units and was 5 floors. All indications I've seen in press releases and hearsay from friends in real estate say 9-12 floors. Just my 2 cents.