SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

While Myers Park and Plaza Midwood will have an "Urban" HT, the Publix in Southend will be of their urban format.  In the article below it references a Publix being built in Miami as an idea of what ours will be like.   [img=http://assets.bizjournals.com/southflorida/print-edition/Publixat18Biscayne.jpg]   http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2012/12/publix-developer-confirms-plans-for.html?s
I hope that image is meant to simply provide a visual of the building's general massing and placement in relation to the street and not an example of its design. While that looks fine for Florida (though IMO a little dated) it would look horrible in Charlotte, palm trees or not :)

Mostly in parts where they can tolerate the climate, which is usually Columbia southward.

I'm more than certain that the landscaping for this store will be appropriate for Charlotte.

maybe those fake palm trees with lights in them?  that seems Charlotte appropriate  :whistling:  

I am hoping it will more or less compliment the style of atherton market so that we have a cohesive area over there. I do what the styles to be different, but I suspect the market will be very "SouthEndy"

I think they should take some design cues from the confederate warehouse they converted.

Out of all the projects I've seen, this would be the most inline for the current asthetics and vision of historic Southend.

lrg-5542-gervais_street_publix.jpg

.S1081774005601.jpg

Edited by RVA2CLT

publixmiabch020qf.jpg

One could only wish for this Miami Publix! How cool would that be! 

(with 100x better street presence)

1987 called and she wants her Publix sign back. This definitely doesn't belong in Southend. I like something similar to what RVA2CLT showed with the brick exterior. That is a lot more in line with the architecture for that neighborhood.

^ I don't like it personally, but I am not of the mind that everything in Southend should be brick and warehouse-y looking. It's already looking a little repetitious these days and I'd like to see something shake it up. That hotel that was supposed to go in near the design center with that sort of deco/mod retro look I thought would have been a step in the right direction. 

Brick fits the motif, esepcailly with the Lowes complex right across the street.

Perhaps a more modern use of brick and other materials such as:

commons.jpg

Or perhaps the masses would favor another up-and-comingly tiring design that is beginning to repeat in the current and planned residental projects.

Publix_Rendering_Board_8-6-09.jpg

I would like to see something edgy, but have a feeling we will see something like this proposal for Knoxville.

Full article: http://www.ackermannwire.com/local-developers-announce-plans-for-unique-urban-retail-development-featuring-publix-and-walmart/

Edit: RVA2CLT beat me to it!

Publix-Entry.jpg

Edited by CLTNative

Brick is a decent material, especially for the Carolinas, and for South End specifically.   Just as long as it isn't a eyesore, I think it will do fine.   And I don't think a Miami style design would really go, as much as we might secretly hope we were that cool.

I kinda like the Knoxville store's look.  I seriously pray it isn't that stupid beige stucco look, though.  I will take ANY form of silly faux neo-whateverthefock architecture using brick over the beige "stucco".

I will also say that while I am very happy SouthEnd will get a grocer, I don't fully grasp the love affair with Publix.   I prefer Harris Teeter's branding, profits remain in the city, all the Teets I've been to have been at least decent and at most really nice, and I have been in some pretty mediocre Publix stores.   Regardless, competition will be good for hopefully keeping prices down in the area, and obviously support for more urban stores will help the city as it densifies, especially if they go to new areas that are barely served like NoDa simply because HT wouldn't want to cannibalize its own markets.  

I will also say that while I am very happy SouthEnd will get a grocer, I don't fully grasp the love affair with Publix.   I prefer Harris Teeter's branding, profits remain in the city, all the Teets I've been to have been at least decent and at most really nice, and I have been in some pretty mediocre Publix stores.   Regardless, competition will be good for hopefully keeping prices down in the area, and obviously support for more urban stores will help the city as it densifies, especially if they go to new areas that are barely served like NoDa simply because HT wouldn't want to cannibalize its own markets.  

I am on the exact same page as you.

^ I have no particular affinity for Publix and, aside from price, generally like shopping at HT.

That said, Publix should be of huge interest to us here because their arrival may dramatically change Charlotte's urban fabric. I suspect that the construction of intown Publix(es) will lead the development of intown retail and the presence of additional grocery stores may trigger additional infill.   

Moving from Publix in Florida to Harris Teeter in North Carolina was such a breath of fresh air. Publix is nice, but Harris Teeter just feels better inside and the stores always have such great wine sections.

I am looking forward to Publix simply because the closest 'quality' chain grocer to me is the Harry Teet in Dilworth. IMO, the residential population of Dilworth and Southend is quickly exceeding this little store's ability to fully handle the traffic and I grow ever frustrated attempting a 'quick trip' to the store. I'd be fine with a Super-Teet being built at the location.

Don't get me wrong, if I could pick a grocer to plop on South Blvd hands down it would be Whole Foods.
To be perfectly honest I would say Wegmans but, most no-one south of the Mason-Dixon knows about that awesomeness with exception to the peeps in NoVA.