SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Here is a rendering of Camden's project at the corner of Camden and West Blvd.  They essentially adapted the old Furman design (Furman's architecture firm is still the artchitect).

40752_primary.jpg

There will be a lot of retail, with all ground floor in the building shown in the foreground lined with retail, excep the far right (to the right of the brick clad stairwell) which will be the leasing office.

It's not 10 stories, but its attractive and good scale for that location.

Camden finally stepping up to the plate with a memorable, thoughtful, and urban design. RETAIL and oodles of it! They really dropped the ball on the behemoth accross from Home Economist. This almost makes up for it.

Camden finally stepping up to the plate with a memorable, thoughtful, and urban design. RETAIL and oodles of it! They really dropped the ball on the behemoth accross from Home Economist. This almost makes up for it.

I think that project (across from Home Economist) was Colonial, not Camden.

Oh crap, thats right, nevermind. GREAT JOB CAMDEN!

I actually think the Camden Southline next to Publix is worse than the Colonial deal. Horrible access tied in with Publix and just a bad use of what could have been a great retail parcel. I foresee that intersection being similarly awkward/dangerous like South & Tremont can be. 

Just looked at the plans and I was hoping they might have increased the retail from the previously reported 9,000 square feet, but that is still the number, although I'm happy to see it will wrap around and be on along both Camden and West. Should be able to land a nice restaurant on the corner.  

I can't remember if MidAmerica has any multi-family projects here, they have announced that they will acquire  Colonial Properties (owner of the project across from Home Economist among others).

The merger will also reduce competition because both companies own apartment buildings in the Sunbelt. "Do we really need both?" asked Eric Bolton, chief executive of Mid-America, widely known as MAA, in an interview Monday. "Why not put the two together?"

I actually think the Camden Southline next to Publix is worse than the Colonial deal. Horrible access tied in with Publix and just a bad use of what could have been a great retail parcel. I foresee that intersection being similarly awkward/dangerous like South & Tremont can be. 

I agree, I was underwhelmed by the site plan and more than a little confused about the extremely overblown system of entrances and exits. 

With Publix going in across from Lowe's, it just occurred to me that though right on the light rail line, it isn't really convenient to either the East/West or the New Bern station. It's  little over a half-mile from each one. Not that a half-mile is a huge distance to walk, but it is with a couple hands full of grocery bags. I wonder how much light rail traffic will actually be seen at Publix, as compared with people driving. I live right on the line in SouthEnd, but I think It's still probably drive unless there was a station right there behind the Publix. That's no less distance than between East/West and Bland, and much more than the distance in between stations uptown, so it doesn't seem that it would create a scenario where stations were too close. Has this ever been discussed?

^ Yup, back in the pre-bust days when denser projects were being proposed for Southend a developer (Cherokee perhaps?) had discussed the possibility of a privately-funded infill station very close to where the Publix is going. You are correct, the new station would just extend the same intown stop spacing a bit further South.

The station seems to be a no-brainer to me, such a station would certainly unlock more of the Rampart / Hawkins / Distribution st area for residential. However, smarter folks reminded me that Southend's lower post-bubble density makes a privately-funded new station less likely.

EDIT: I am very surprised we never saw a Wholefoods-like store built on the food truck Friday's lot at Camden due to station location. Seems much less likely now that Publix pulled the trigger.

Edited by kermit

With Publix going in across from Lowe's, it just occurred to me that though right on the light rail line, it isn't really convenient to either the East/West or the New Bern station. It's  little over a half-mile from each one. Not that a half-mile is a huge distance to walk, but it is with a couple hands full of grocery bags. I wonder how much light rail traffic will actually be seen at Publix, as compared with people driving. I live right on the line in SouthEnd, but I think It's still probably drive unless there was a station right there behind the Publix. That's no less distance than between East/West and Bland, and much more than the distance in between stations uptown, so it doesn't seem that it would create a scenario where stations were too close. Has this ever been discussed?

.5 miles isn't that bad. Generally thats what I do in Brooklyn to get the supermarket. Its an easy walk down the rail trail.

It looks like demo at the Camden/West site may be starting very soon. There were signs up on the fencing and a new gravel path for equipment to get in was present on Camden. Sorry I know thats not big news but I'm pretty excited for anything to be happening with this project.

On another note has anyone been able to track down a rendering of the Church/Summit project? There was a small one in the center city report, along with a description that included 5 floors over 2 levels of parking, with at least one retail space and one office space. However watching the progress on my way to work in the morning, I'm not sure the construction so far really jives with that description, but its hard to tell. If its still accurate, then that may all be facing Church St, which would be somewhat disappointing. If no rendering or concrete facts, does anyone have a more educated analysis of what's been built so far?

It looks like demo at the Camden/West site may be starting very soon. There were signs up on the fencing and a new gravel path for equipment to get in was present on Camden. Sorry I know thats not big news but I'm pretty excited for anything to be happening with this project.

On another note has anyone been able to track down a rendering of the Church/Summit project? There was a small one in the center city report, along with a description that included 5 floors over 2 levels of parking, with at least one retail space and one office space. However watching the progress on my way to work in the morning, I'm not sure the construction so far really jives with that description, but its hard to tell. If its still accurate, then that may all be facing Church St, which would be somewhat disappointing. If no rendering or concrete facts, does anyone have a more educated analysis of what's been built so far?

Yes, Camden and Historic South End are holding a unveiling of Camden Gallery and a Demo Party pretty soon from what I understand.

EDIT: Office space is on the corner of Summit and Church. THe Retail is SMACK DAB in the middle of Summit. You can see it in the renderings below with the ramp and stairs up to it.

As far as Church/Summit goes...

If anyone could ever get the attachments to download...

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=12LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00052

you can find the plans here.

ScreenShot2013-06-10at72336PM_zpsc5111c0

ScreenShot2013-06-10at72157PM_zpsbbca2f8

ScreenShot2013-06-10at72259PM_zpsfa4379b

ScreenShot2013-06-10at72316PM_zps6356604

ScreenShot2013-06-10at72305PM_zps9ad45c3

Edited by Guest

Just so everyone knows, I am currently downloading the plans for Publix, will post something later tonight.

I'm happy to see 4 extra retail spaces, but I am pissed about the treatment of it toward the lightrail...

ScreenShot2013-06-10at75501PM_zps98a7c3c

ScreenShot2013-06-10at75736PM_zps7cf9570

ScreenShot2013-06-10at75745PM_zpsa832f24

ScreenShot2013-06-10at75750PM_zps5992239

ScreenShot2013-06-10at75320PM_zps20ffb44

Edited by Guest

^Agreed about the light rail side. On the bright side, at least the backside isn't windowless.

The nice folks at @HistoricSouthEnd said that they are working with them to try to get a Rail Trail Entrance.

The nice folks at @HistoricSouthEnd said that they are working with them to try to get a Rail Trail Entrance.

That's good to hear! Do you know of any consideration towards any track crossings to spectrum, Ashton, 1504, etc.?

That's good to hear! Do you know of any consideration towards any track crossings to spectrum, Ashton, 1504, etc.?

It's up to the City to figure that out unfortunately.

Also 135 Morehead, that has been mentioned before, officially has a name as of May 2014 "Quarters at Morehead." Hopefully some solid information will come about at some point. Surprised their hasn't been more chatter, they seem to be moving forward.

Edited by Guest