SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

21 hours ago, RANYC said:

Well, if this is a Birkdale Village-looking project, I'm all for it.  Sidebar: Would love to see these "urban villages" anchoring all our core center-city districts in the city and centered around a "public square gathering spot" to give these districts a sense of authentic civic identity/heritage through some sort of a public-private partnership  an incentivization framework. Just a thought.

I feel like this concept of urban villages is what exists in Arlington, VA and it works fabulously there

• Like 1

Its been so long that I have forgotten the source, but there have been rumors of Wegman’s anchoring this Clanton rd site for more than a year (perhaps two or three). IIRC, the anchor grocery was rendered to form a wall which shields the remainder of the site from I-77 noise. 

I am only sharing because it has been more than a year now (long past the statute of limitations for rumors IMO), and I think the Wegmans part of the rumor was the least substantiated portion of the stories I heard about this site. However, the site has gotta have a grocery anchor to work ad both Publix and Teeter are too close for them to consider another store here. I would also bet that Interstate adjacency would make this an attractive place for the first Wegmans in the market. Any grocery box here is also going to be too big for a specialty grocer (TJ’s, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Sprouts, etc.). Ain't gonna be a Wal-Mart, but I could  see Target being a good fit for this site.

I have absolutely no information about this project beyond these very stale rumors so none of this post is worth much.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I feel like this concept of urban villages is what exists in Arlington, VA and it works fabulously there

Disagree on that. The close-in NoVa & MD suburbs are pretty urban. I wouldn’t consider those urban villages. 

Mosaic District in Merrifield comes to mind as an urban village though it’s smaller on the scale of Birkdale Village. 

If we consider things like Atlantic Station in Atlanta as an urban village, I’d say Reston Town Center (home to the tallest residential in the metro area at 40 floors, North American BMW HQ, etc) is a much better example. Has plenty of retail, movie theatre, Apple Store, etc. They’re still building out across the toll road but the urban Wegmans is there too (integrated under an apartment building. It’s still pretty isolated in a wasteland of empty lots but a lot of the construction will commence at the same time on the next phases) 

Ive been mentioning an urban wegmans for a while in this exact area. But it was based on folks here wanting a wegmans and automatically assuming it’d have to be a typical suburban format. Drew a little map circling an area around Remount & Clanton and showed examples like this (which too is urban-village-y vibes) recently built in Alexandria, VA. But the below is what comes to my mind when I hear “urban village” and what I imagine for the site in discussion. 

IMG_2733.jpeg.0049d4cf6ddf0da097876e1283cd085d.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MothBeast said:

Aaaand it’s gone. Google earth satellite imagery reverted for some reason 

IMG_7352.jpeg

I feel like Charlotte's Google Earth data always gets snubbed. Every other major city has their image data updated no less than once a year. There's no reason why Charlotte can't have updated image data as well.

• Like 4

Re:  Clanton Park 

On 12/5/2023 at 11:20 AM, videtur quam contuor said:

If this is a Birkdale type development that stretches from 77 to Tryon on Clanton, then Clanton Park gonna EXPLODE! Buy now!

Zillow shows 9 properties.

and then yesterday on Axios:

https://charlotte.axios.com/345638/hot-homes-4-houses-for-sale-in-charlotte-starting-at-395k/

The stages of money flowing to a previously stable older neighborhood (not in order): Brick homes painted white with black window trim. Little libraries. Multiple home exterior cameras. Fences constructed with horizontal boards. (Occasionally) Xeriscape front yards.

Others?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/8/2023 at 1:00 PM, thenewkage95 said:

I feel like Charlotte's Google Earth data always gets snubbed. Every other major city has their image data updated no less than once a year. There's no reason why Charlotte can't have updated image data as well.

Odd yeah, I'm not sure why the imagery reverted. But I will point out, as I said on another thread, Google Earth actually has been kind to Charlotte, not snubbing it. If you include this recent one, assuming it returns soon, there have been three updates to Charlotte's renderings in the past year and a half or so. I think that's actually a much higher rate than most other cities. There are parts of Atlanta for example that are much farther behind.

Not to mention the addition of Lynx lines to the transit map. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mutual of America Financial Group has chosen South End for its new North Carolina regional headquarters.

Mutual of America, a New York City-based firm that provides retirement and investment services, signed a 10-year lease for 3,000 square feet at the 2100 South Tryon office building. The company plans to move in this summer.

Look at the hideous power lines in this photo.  Honestly, South End isn't really looking so great to me lately.  

SouthEndLease.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2